Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #3041
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not a mass shooting, just more utter stupidity with guns killing someone for no good reason...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/father-ac...194420254.html
So in a controlled environment this boob can't even control his weapon, perfect argument against the population carrying weapons.

Tit

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #3042
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not a mass shooting, just more utter stupidity with guns killing someone for no good reason...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/father-ac...194420254.html

- Surferguy
Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #3043
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Tonight in Dallas apparently a sniper was on the 6th floor of a hotel wearing body armour and started shooting at police officers during protests. Reports all over the place but last I saw between 3-6 cops are down, not sure how serious. Sad stuff.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #3044
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
There is an active shooter situation in Dallas, and three to six officers are reportedly injured, two confirmed shot, during protests in Dallas, according to local news station KDFW. The condition of the officers is not known yet. There are reports of two suspects.
Of the three to six Dallas officers reportedly injured, two have been confirmed shot. One was a Dallas police officer and the second officer was a Dallas Area Rapid Transit officer, KDFW is reporting.

KDFW also reports that police are in negotiations with a second suspect.

Local Fox-affiliate KTVT relayed police commands that the suspect was armed with a rifle in a nearby alley, after previously, the station had reported that at least one suspect was down, following SWAT officers with shields storming a parking garage.
https://www.rt.com/usa/350047-police...allas-protest/
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #3045
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

News Update

Chief Brown: sniper shot 10 police, killed 3, 3 in critical, 2 in surgery.

Allegedly 2 shooters from "elevated positions". This is civil war by some definition, surely?

Last edited by Acey; 07-07-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #3046
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now 14 shot, 4 dead.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #3047
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where was that reported? Hasn't been reported yet on cnn.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #3048
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's via @johnmccaa of WFAA Dallas, trying to see another source for that.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #3049
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has been brewing for a long time. Police receive officer safety bulletins anytime there is a credible threat identified in their or neighboring jurisdiction. I know of dozens of bulletins that warned of this exact threat over the past five years. This has been a major concern for law enforcement to the point where it was pretty much acknowledged as an inevitability. It is very sad it has come to this. There are many more good cops than there are bad cops. But the bad get the media coverage and set the tone for the public.

Something to consider is the militarization of the police services in the United States. When presented with a force that looks very much like the bogeyman that the likes of talk radio tell you are coming to put you in FEMA camps, how is the public going to react? Consider the scenario where you have a country that has as many guns as there are people, and many of these gun owners are highly trained ex-military who hold some very different views on the role of government, what is one of the likely outcomes? I mean, what could possibly go wrong? It really is time for the United States to take a step back and disarm. And when I say disarm, I mean disarm everyone, including the police with their tanks and armored personnel carriers. Things are on the verge of getting out of control.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #3050
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Something to consider is the militarization of the police services in the United States. When presented with a force that looks very much like the bogeyman that the likes of talk radio tell you are coming to put you in FEMA camps, how is the public going to react? Consider the scenario where you have a country that has as many guns as there are people, and many of these gun owners are highly trained ex-military who hold some very different views on the role of government, what is one of the likely outcomes? I mean, what could possibly go wrong? It really is time for the United States to take a step back and disarm. And when I say disarm, I mean disarm everyone, including the police with their tanks and armored personnel carriers. Things are on the verge of getting out of control.
The problem with disarming (and I'm not disagreeing with you that it needs to happen) is the age old question/risk of "who first?"
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #3051
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

and chalk up another one.

3 dead in a shooting in a Michigan courthouse today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2707367
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #3052
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is the NRA saying now that the "good guys" with guns are dropping like flies?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #3053
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
What is the NRA saying now that the "good guys" with guns are dropping like flies?
All I kept thinking after Dallas, and the guy with the AR-15 who ended up being completely innocent--you never know who is a good guy with a gun or a bad guy with a gun until he starts shooting.

And really--if trained officers can't handle a madman with a weapon, what makes a random Joe off the street think he's a good enough marksman to pull it off?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #3054
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
And really--if trained officers can't handle a madman with a weapon, what makes a random Joe off the street think he's a good enough marksman to pull it off?
The NRA has told him for decades by being allowed to pack he's qualified enough.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #3055
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You think police are highly trained or even undergo a rigorous screening process by many police departments?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #3056
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
All I kept thinking after Dallas, and the guy with the AR-15 who ended up being completely innocent--you never know who is a good guy with a gun or a bad guy with a gun until he starts shooting.

The guy with the AR-15 also ruined the argument that it provides protection.

Protest gets open-fired on. The first thing that the hero with the AR-15 does? Throws it away so he doesn't become a target.

I mean, it was a reasonable decision (as much as reasonable can be attributed to someone walking around with that type of weapon) and I understand the decision. I'm not expecting him to be a hero and get involved in a gunfight and risk his life. But when he recognized the threat, his immediate reaction was realizing that the gun he had strapped to him made him a target, exact opposite of the protection it was suppose to provide.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #3057
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
You think police are highly trained or even undergo a rigorous screening process by many police departments?
I don't know about the U.S but here in Canada the answer is yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #3058
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Protest gets open-fired on. The first thing that the hero with the AR-15 does? Throws it away so he doesn't become a target.

I mean, it was a reasonable decision (as much as reasonable can be attributed to someone walking around with that type of weapon) and I understand the decision. I'm not expecting him to be a hero and get involved in a gunfight and risk his life. But when he recognized the threat, his immediate reaction was realizing that the gun he had strapped to him made him a target, exact opposite of the protection it was suppose to provide.
He had no ammunition.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #3059
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

"The police killed two men today, one they could confirm was the suspect and shooter. He was killed with a bomb detonating explosive. The other man killed was a black male armed with an assault rifle who joined the firefight in what is now believed to have been an attempt to help police. Police were unaware of this fact and fired upon the man as he fit the description of the suspect. A public apology has been issued to his family."

Yeah, definitely should have started shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #3060
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Yeah, definitely should have started shooting.
Here's an even better idea. And it's crazy, but hear me out.

DON'T CARRY THAT GUN AROUND LIKE A JACKASS.
Closed Thread