Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #2981
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rented a Tesla last year and out of pure curiosity wanted to see how fast it was off the line. It was the fastest car off the line every single time by a wide margin
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:48 PM   #2982
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This may belong in the Gear Grinders Thread, but WTF this morning.

I'm at a red light beside a brand new Raptor. Both of us are first in line with a wide open Barlow Trail in front of us. We make eye contact. I inch forward a bit a couple times to indicate it's on. I'm in a fast car and he's in a fast truck. That's what we have these for, right? Light turns green and he fataing takes off like a granny. I just gunned it up to the speed limit.

Like, WTF, dude. Go get a Ridgeline if you're going to completely waste a cool vehicle. Fata him.
A buddy of mine did that with his Mustang in the late 70's. Problem was there was a ghost police van beind the other guy and my bud saw that. Other guy races off the line and ends up getting a ticket
Old 03-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #2983
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hah, it can happen. Life isn't without risks, that's for sure.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #2984
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This may belong in the Gear Grinders Thread, but WTF this morning.

I'm at a red light beside a brand new Raptor. Both of us are first in line with a wide open Barlow Trail in front of us. We make eye contact. I inch forward a bit a couple times to indicate it's on. I'm in a fast car and he's in a fast truck. That's what we have these for, right? Light turns green and he fataing takes off like a granny. I just gunned it up to the speed limit.

Like, WTF, dude. Go get a Ridgeline if you're going to completely waste a cool vehicle. Fata him.
Needles and Marty McFly… I totally see Sliver as Needles in this scenario.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #2985
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I rented a Tesla last year and out of pure curiosity wanted to see how fast it was off the line. It was the fastest car off the line every single time by a wide margin
Unless you were lining up with supercars, yeah, that's pretty much going to be the outcome every time. The starting point for 0-60 MPH times for EV cars is usually in the 4-5 second range. Hell, a Volvo XC40 Recharge does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. That's on par with a Ferrari 360 Modena.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #2986
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this is the right thread.

The time has come for my Dad to stop driving and we are going to sell his car. I don't want him dealing with a private sale and having to meet buyers. He lives in Calgary and I don't.

The car is a 2011 but only has 40,000 km's. So I get some very inconsistent values when researching online. Blue book says $10K but IDK if anyone would pay for a 2011 Ford Focus even with low mileage.

Any thoughts on best avenue for selling it? I'm willing to accept less money for convenience but within reason. It has to be something where the whole process can be done in a couple of days so selling online doesn't really seem practical.

Does anyone recommend a used car dealer that won't bend you over too badly on a cash sale?

Or is selling a car online now so easy that you can expect to sell it quickly?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #2987
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a detailer recommendation that also does minor rust spot repair? Is that even a thing that exists? We'd like to get our interior detailed and at the same time have some minor rust spots touched up by someone that could do a marginally better job than I'd do with a paint pen.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #2988
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Does anyone have a detailer recommendation that also does minor rust spot repair? Is that even a thing that exists? We'd like to get our interior detailed and at the same time have some minor rust spots touched up by someone that could do a marginally better job than I'd do with a paint pen.
If its already rusty you might need a bit more then someone with a paint pen.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #2989
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're mostly little rock chips with some surface rust that we're looking to fix. Nothing to cancerous (yet). We're just trying to stay on top of it a bit to slow down the future rust.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #2990
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Hopefully this is the right thread.

The time has come for my Dad to stop driving and we are going to sell his car. I don't want him dealing with a private sale and having to meet buyers. He lives in Calgary and I don't.

The car is a 2011 but only has 40,000 km's. So I get some very inconsistent values when researching online. Blue book says $10K but IDK if anyone would pay for a 2011 Ford Focus even with low mileage.

Any thoughts on best avenue for selling it? I'm willing to accept less money for convenience but within reason. It has to be something where the whole process can be done in a couple of days so selling online doesn't really seem practical.

Does anyone recommend a used car dealer that won't bend you over too badly on a cash sale?

Take a look at what they are selling for right now on autotrader as blue book values are not overly applicable in this market. If priced accordingly you can sell pretty quickly as the low mileage works in your favor compared to most Focus's for sale of that year range. I assume it's got an early PowerShift transmission which is a bit of a black mark for those cars but I don't know how it's affected resale for those vehicles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #2991
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Take a look at what they are selling for right now on autotrader as blue book values are not overly applicable in this market. If priced accordingly you can sell pretty quickly as the low mileage works in your favor compared to most Focus's for sale of that year range. I assume it's got an early PowerShift transmission which is a bit of a black mark for those cars but I don't know how it's affected resale for those vehicles.
Not exactly comparable but my mom sold her 2014 Focus to a Ford dealership last month. It was a base level trim with a few options and had 130,000km. They gave her $6,500 and had it on their lot for over $11,000 and it was gone a couple days later.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #2992
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Best thing a detailer can do is use this product.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004UMB7WY/

Will work to an extent and with on going use will slow rust down. Not a substitute for real rust repair.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #2993
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
We sold a car online over a weekend. We were planning to buy a used car and were hoping to trade in the old one at the same time to make things simple. We couldn't get the price we wanted out of the used car lot so we decided to do it ourselves. We weren't trying to get the best price but rather unload it for a fair price to offset what was essentially a trade. We listed it for $12k which was the lowest price of all equivalents in Western Canada by $500. (The dealer offered us $8k.) We got numerous calls the same day and had a deposit the next morning for our posted price.

If you want to make a quick sale, split the difference between dealer trade in and dealer sale price and post it online. You'll be the cheapest car listed (most private sales try and ask for the same price that dealers do) and you'll pocket more than if you had just sold it to a dealer. Win win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #2994
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Strange Brew, I think you'll have a pretty easy time selling that vehicle right now. As mentioned previously, do a search on Autotrader for comparables and pick your number. But with that mileage, I think it'll go fast and easy.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #2995
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any tips for buffing out bush rash? I'm deciding if it's easier to just take it to a detailer pay out the mose than buy all the tools and gear an do it all myself.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #2996
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Head over to Carzilla and pick up a dual action polisher some Lake Country pads and Menzerna polish. Kits like this run about $300. Downside is you'll have to polish out the entire vehicle because the spots you hit will look so much better than the rest of the car.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #2997
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week I polished my truck and then applied a ceramic coating I bought off Amazon. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Today I gave the wife’s vehicle - a vow Tiguan the spa treatment and put on the summer dancing shoes. This vehicle has lug bolts. Makes it a bit of a challenge to try and steady the tire and get the bolts hand started. The dealership that installed the winter tires exceeded the torque spec on a couple of bolts - including the first one I wanted to take off. Took some grunting, but got it off via the vow tire wrench
Old 03-27-2022, 10:17 PM   #2998
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Head over to Carzilla and pick up a dual action polisher some Lake Country pads and Menzerna polish. Kits like this run about $300. Downside is you'll have to polish out the entire vehicle because the spots you hit will look so much better than the rest of the car.
The other downside is you need to find a way to get out of Carzilla without spending hundreds of more dollars. That place is amazing, and dangerous.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:46 PM   #2999
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Ok, I get that every carmaker needs to start making SUVs to survive, but it's really sad to see the company whose ethos is "lightness is everything" announce one.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #3000
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Lotus electric suv....

There's no way there isn't going to be a spectacular fire
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote