Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #281
RaitisIvanans41
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ivanans was hard to play against, so naturally he only got 2 games with the Flames
RaitisIvanans41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #282
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
Hardest working Flame tonight from Fan 960: Jay Bouwmeester
they can't handle that fans are finally turning on this overpaid time bomb.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #283
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouw was good tonight. The Kassian goal against can't be pinned on one player, not even Gio. Five guys were standing around.

That some of you could have watched that game and said Bouw was "awful" confirms something. A lot of posters are way too concerned with finding a whipping boy and laying blame at the feet of one player for any thing that goes wrong and don't have a clue about the game of hockey.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #284
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Bouw was good tonight. The Kassian goal against can't be pinned on one player, not even Gio. Five guys were standing around.

That some of you could have watched that game and said Bouw was "awful" confirms something. A lot of posters are way too concerned with finding a whipping boy and laying blame at the feet of one player for any thing that goes wrong and don't have a clue about the game of hockey.
Bouw was good tonight.

Brodie was the best flame defender tonight by a long shot. Wideman was good on the offensive side of the puck, and made a great desperation hit in the first period, but he is a rodeo defending.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #285
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Bouw was good tonight.

Brodie was the best flame defender tonight by a long shot. Wideman was good on the offensive side of the puck, and made a great desperation hit in the first period, but he is a rodeo defending.
I know that's the book on him but I haven't totally seen it. I've seen a team-wide rodeo once the opposition starts applying some pressure and moving the puck. Until the entire team shows more composure in that circumstance I'm not ready to blame Wideman.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #286
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I satisfactory game by Bouwmeester does not begin to make up for 3 seasons of misery.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #287
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
What else would you expect from a player who plays the most minutes on a team with one of the worst even strength GF/GA ratio's in the league?
It's only an awful ratio because Bouwmeester plays that many minutes.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #288
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well he might have tried to block the net, instead of the far post. The only way he was blocking that goal the way he positioned himself was if the shot was 3 inches off the ice. It demonstrates, once again, a lack of willingness to sacrifice for the team.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #289
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got home from the game, and am surprised to see Bouw getting a lot of credit on CP tonight.
He wasn't too bad tonight, but he didn't do too much good either. I guess mediocre is enough to get him credit these days.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #290
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentum View Post
Actually, its more likely a bunch of people are going to hate on his game because its the cool thing to do.
Smoking is the cool thing to do. Bouwmeester not doing enough to win falls under 'facts of life'.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #291
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Well he might have tried to block the net, instead of the far post. The only way he was blocking that goal the way he positioned himself was if the shot was 3 inches off the ice. It demonstrates, once again, a lack of willingness to sacrifice for the team.
Lol. The amount of time between the first shot, rebound, and second shot was not enough time for him to get between the shot and the net. He can't fricking teleport. Christ.

That that play is evidence he is "unwilling to sacrifice himself for the team" might be one of the dumbest things I've read in a while, and there are a lot of Canucks fans on my facebook feed, so congratulations.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #292
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. The amount of time between the first shot, rebound, and second shot was not enough time for him to get between the shot and the net. He can't fricking teleport. Christ.

That that play is evidence he is "unwilling to sacrifice himself for the team" might be one of the dumbest things I've read in a while, and there are a lot of Canucks fans on my facebook feed, so congratulations.
He isn't willing to sacrifice. That should be pretty evident from watching him. And yes, I am being hard on him for not selling out to make that difficult play. Why? Because he has done absolutely NOTHING in his three years here to deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #293
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just got home from the game, and am surprised to see Bouw getting a lot of credit on CP tonight.
He wasn't too bad tonight, but he didn't do too much good either. I guess mediocre is enough to get him credit these days.
With the way everyone other than Sarich and maybe Brodie have played on defense this year not too bad makes you one of the better defensemen on the team.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #294
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
With the way everyone other than Sarich and maybe Brodie have played on defense this year not too bad makes you one of the better defensemen on the team.
Yep. This is the worst I can remember a Flames defense looking in a very long time. I'm not sure the defensive zone coverage was this bad even in the Young Guns years. There were prolonged periods of 5 on 5 time where the Canucks looked like they were on the powerplay. Not sure if the players are just adjusting to a new system but they can't continue to play defense this poorly and have a chance at making the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #295
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't understand why some folks go to such lengths to defend an average-at-best defenceman making elite-level money. The guy makes 500K (?) less than Iginla, I think he's expected to do a little more than "look engaged."

I really think pressure is this guy's kryptonite. He was great in Florida where nothing was expected of either him or the team, but he comes here and all of a sudden it's an effectiveness contest between him and a bag of pucks. Why? The only difference I see between us and his old Panther team, is that our fans and media expect our team to win games, make the playoffs and compete for the Cup.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #296
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I satisfactory game by Bouwmeester does not begin to make up for 3 seasons of misery.
Agreed, but in much the same way that Stajan showing signs of life is encouraging, it's enough to give some slight hope that the coaching change will allow him to turn things around. He's never going to be the kind of guy who hates to lose, so he'll never be a fan favorite, but I'll settle for him being a net positive when he's on the ice.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #297
Fourteen FTW
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On the Kassian goal he was getting out muscled by the post, he then proceeded to cover no one and was completely flat footed when they scored. To any who thought this was the type
of performance they'd like to see from Jay, please explain what he did well last night?
I also saw him launch a hard shot or two wide of the net - slow clap.
Fourteen FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #298
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don't understand why some folks go to such lengths to defend an average-at-best defenceman making elite-level money. The guy makes 500K (?) less than Iginla, I think he's expected to do a little more than "look engaged."
I don't see anyone going to great lengths to defend him. They certainly do everything they can to trash him whether deserved or not though.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #299
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaitisIvanans41 View Post
Ivanans was hard to play against, so naturally he only got 2 games with the Flames
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #300
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually saw him body someone off the puck last night, I applauded.