Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #281
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
My favorite part is when they said the carbon levy makes things cheaper in BC than the rest of Canada...

Many other factors? Hmmm, like what I wonder?
Since it's revenue neutral it should make things that consume over the median amount of carbon more expensive and things that consume lower than median less expensive.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #282
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Greg Clark often does shadow budgets, shadow legislation if it isn't in agreement with the current government. It's worth checking out, I love their platform and I voted for them last time. Wish they would get some traction in the voting base though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #283
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article, I already posted this link in the alberta politics thread but for anyone who missed it

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...ster-1.3922367
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #284
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Interesting article, I already posted this link in the alberta politics thread but for anyone who missed it

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...ster-1.3922367
Ha ha ha. Rather than try to capitalize on extra business they decided to pad their margins by matching the Alberta pricing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #285
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha. Rather than try to capitalize on extra business they decided to pad their margins by matching the Alberta pricing.
Who says they won't get the extra business anyway? I could definitely see people choosing to gas up in the SK side just out of spite to the NDP, even if the cost is the same. Be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #286
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Who says they won't get the extra business anyway? I could definitely see people choosing to gas up in the SK side just out of spite to the NDP, even if the cost is the same. Be interesting to see how it works out.
That's possible although most people if prices the same will go the most convenient route which would be the one closest to your home or work. I just think it's funny that the Sask stations would take that opportunity to gouge citizens that are on the Sask side.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #287
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's possible although most people if prices the same will go the most convenient route which would be the one closest to your home or work. I just think it's funny that the Sask stations would take that opportunity to gouge citizens that are on the Sask side.
I have no problem with it, those awful Rider fans should have to pay more for their gas.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #288
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
With the price being the same, I could actually see people going to the gas station that isn't choosing to charge them an extra 4.5 cents per litre.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #289
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
With the price being the same, I could actually see people going to the gas station that isn't choosing to charge them an extra 4.5 cents per litre.
What?

The only thing people think about when gassing up if prices are the same is their preferable station brand.

Last edited by Weitz; 01-05-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #290
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What?

The only thing people think about when gassing up if prices are the same is their preferable station brand.
That may be the only thing you think about, but others may feel as though that gas station is overcharging them, and they'd be right in their assessment.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #291
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems shortsighted for the Sasky side to charge more, but it is an interesting question: Given the same price, would you prefer to pay the owner the extra 4.5 cent price gouge or the government the extra 4.5 cent gouge?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #292
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

lol this should be fun
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #293
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Likely because they're Husky/Esso/Shell/Etc stations on both sides of the border and service stations make way more money from the convenience store than they do off of the pumps. Why would the parent company want to lose the station in Alberta when they can just equalize the gas prices and keep both open? Lloyd is definitely a bit of a special case, in many ways.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #294
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
It seems shortsighted for the Sasky side to charge more, but it is an interesting question: Given the same price, would you prefer to pay the owner the extra 4.5 cent price gouge or the government the extra 4.5 cent gouge?
With the Sask side having a 5% PST the stations are actually charging the same amount now. The Sask side of Lloyd had to undercharge for gas previously. Now with a 5 cents a litre carbon tax and the sask pst the cost of Gas should be roughly the same.

The price of gas historically (pre-carbon tax) between Calgary and Saskatoon has been a 5 to 10 cent spread which would be due to taxation costs.

So the Sask side isn't gouging.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #295
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
With the Sask side having a 5% PST the stations are actually charging the same amount now. The Sask side of Lloyd had to undercharge for gas previously. Now with a 5 cents a litre carbon tax and the sask pst the cost of Gas should be roughly the same.

The price of gas historically (pre-carbon tax) between Calgary and Saskatoon has been a 5 to 10 cent spread which would be due to taxation costs.

So the Sask side isn't gouging.
Actually Sask, BC and Manitoba don't charge PST on gas or diesel. BC however makes up for it by a 7% carbon tax on gas.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #296
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post

I think its partly a "for the greater good decision" in that if one side of the city isnt able to compete with the other side of the city because of a short-sighted and very poorly implemeted tax scheme by one side, they are just trying to save jobs etc for them.

Additionally, and of course, the extra revenue angle sure doesn't hurt.

Pretty unique situation in Lloyd of course that doesnt apply anywhere else.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #297
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Actually Sask, BC and Manitoba don't charge PST on gas or diesel. BC however makes up for it by a 7% carbon tax on gas.
Sask charges a 15 cents a liter gas tax. Total tax in Alberta is 17.5 cents post carbon tax so my point roughly still stands.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #298
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Sask charges a 15 cents a liter gas tax. Total tax in Alberta is 17.5 cents post carbon tax so my point roughly still stands.
They are still charging more than they need to, but they are free to charge however much they'd like.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #299
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schools are going to take a beating....

adult image upload

Why are these numbers always leaked to the Wildrose and never just released by the NDP?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #300
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should just put on a sweater and buy new furnaces and windows.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: