Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #281
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The Germany comparison doesn't really fit in this scenario at all. ISIS has basically run over a section of a failed state and a large portion of a borderline failed state. They've captured a lot of equipment and money but don't have a lot of manpower. Bombing them may increase their future recruitment (maybe?) but there are things that can be prevented from happening right now with airstrikes.

Additionally, I'm not sure how the Taliban was strengthened at all from being bombed. They used to have a country ... now they hide in sections of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Basically, what i meant by the Germany comparison was to highlight what isolation can do. it broke them. If that worked there, maybe there's a way to make it work in this situation.

As for the Taliban, they're down but not out. once Nato and the Americans officially leave Afghanistan, the Taliban will come out of those caves. Other than Kosovo, I can't really think of a situation where bombing alone, led to stability.

Ps if im wrong, please feel free to correct me, i'm a political and news junkie, not a military strategist and I would really like to get rid of the these A$$%&*#s

Last edited by smoothpops; 08-08-2014 at 09:11 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #282
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
At least they respect the Jordanian border.....
The Jordanians are probably the one of the most progressive, modern and well run nations in that area and their troops are relatively well trained with high morale and fairly modern equipment. Iraqi and Syrian troops on the other hand...

I was wondering why that border was so neat there for a second too.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #283
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
Ps if im wrong, please feel free to correct me, i'm a political and news junkie, not a military strategist and I would really like to get rid of the these A$$%&*#s
Long term the way to get rid of this jerks...create a stable enough environment where you can educate and empower the women...maybe you can get the Iran and Afghanistan of the 1970's back

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #284
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With their success these guys are pretty cocky. True believers though, at least in their own minds. Kind of reminds me of the native Indians and their ghost shirts, not that their causes are similar.

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #285
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The barbarians will learn soon they have little chance, The Bush is sending F-18's with 500lb bombs but are also using the newest stealth drones (X-47's) with about 4000lbs of pin point ordnance as well, these things can drop a bomb on your lap while your taken a crap and you don't even get to hear it coming.
Spoiler!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #286
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
The barbarians will learn soon they have little chance, The Bush is sending F-18's with 500lb bombs but are also using the newest stealth drones (X-47's) with about 4000lbs of pin point ordnance as well, these things can drop a bomb on your lap while your taken a crap and you don't even get to hear it coming.
Spoiler!
YES!!!...bombs totally stopped radical islam from spreading in Afghanistan and Ira....ummm..err

And the forces in this region are probably driving kit equivalent to a Toyota pickup with the Machine Gun bolted onto it...the stealth drone is literally superfluous...save the Skynet goodies for tangling with the Chinese or Russians someday

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 08-08-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #287
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Spoiler!
I will never understand people who become giddy at the thought of dropping bombs on other people.

To me, the whole situation is tragic and full of human suffering. Bombing will, at least in the short term, cause more human suffering.

Last edited by Makarov; 08-09-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #288
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Some extremely good, borderline incredible, news coming out of Iraq as a direct result of the ISIS invasion.

Quote:
The Iraqi government provided a planeload of ammunition to Peshmerga fighters from Iraq's semiautonomous Kurdish region on Friday, a U.S. official said, in an unprecedented act of military cooperation between Kurdish and Iraqi forces brought on by an acute militant threat.
"Developments over the last few days have refocused the issue, and we've seen unprecedented cooperation between Baghdad and Arbil in terms of going after (the Islamic State), not only in terms of conversation but in terms of actual support."
As Islamic State fighters made another dramatic advance earlier this week, Maliki ordered his air force for the first time to back Kurdish forces in their fight against militants.
The Obama administration is now working with the Iraqi government, the official said, to ensure additional requests from the Kurdistan Regional Government, for small arms and munitions including mortars and AK-47s, will be met soon.
source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5663739.html

The fact that the Iraqi government is offering direct military support of the Kurds is quite frankly amazing. The threat of this horrendous theocratic 'state' could actually end with a positive outcome for the region.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #289
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

nm, doublepost.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #290
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, remember that time where things were good in the Middle East and people were just chill and not hell-bent on killing each other. Yeah me either.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #291
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I will never understand people who become giddy at the thought of dropping bombs on other people.

To me, the whole situation is tragic and full of human suffering. Bombing will, at least in the short term, cause more human suffering.
No bombings in the short term will save a lot of human suffering! Have you been watching the news at all? These savages are on the verge of a very large genocide! Have you not seen the videos of them lining up hundreds of young men and just shooting them in the back of the head, all because they are Shia, Yezidi or Christian. Have you not heard of the hundreds of children taken by them, how about the young women being taken and forced to marry men of ISIS?

Bombing will stop human suffering by wiping these sons a bitches off the face of our planet!
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #292
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
YES!!!...bombs totally stopped radical islam from spreading in Afghanistan and Ira....ummm..err

And the forces in this region are probably driving kit equivalent to a Toyota pickup with the Machine Gun bolted onto it...the stealth drone is literally superfluous...save the Skynet goodies for tangling with the Chinese or Russians someday
These guys aren't like the Taliban or AL Qaeda, they are well funded, well trained and have many supplies taken when the Iraqi army fled their bases, which is a large amount of US supplied weapons, humvies and more. Men fighting are old Hussain army, Chechnyans, etc, they are very organized, know what they are doing and how to fight like an army. This is going to be a long battle imo.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #293
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post

Considering how the ISIS has been executing innocent civilians by the hundreds, bombs will at this point cause less human suffering.

Unless of course you believe a single member of the ISIS deserves to be treated like a human being. I don't.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #294
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not only do they deserve to be killed I hope the U.S does it in the most painful way imaginable. These guys are truly the scum of the earth.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #295
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Man, remember that time where things were good in the Middle East and people were just chill and not hell-bent on killing each other. Yeah me either.
You mean like that time when Arab Muslims preserved much of western civilization and philosophy that would surely have been lost to the barbaric religiously fueled European ears orf the dark ages?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #296
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Not only do they deserve to be killed I hope the U.S does it in the most painful way imaginable. These guys are truly the scum of the earth.
Yeah, publicly behead them or stone them to death or mutilate their genitals, that'll show those savages.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #297
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
With their success these guys are pretty cocky. True believers though, at least in their own minds. Kind of reminds me of the native Indians and their ghost shirts, not that their causes are similar.

That video is beyond disturbing. It's terrifying. Wow.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #298
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
That video is beyond disturbing. It's terrifying. Wow.
Yeah, I found their one track religious fervour scary as hell. The children's indoctrination is pretty run of the mill from what I've seen and heard but just because it's normal brainwashing doesn't mean it's not effective and placing one culture against another bodes ill for our future.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #299
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Someone needs to tell the one guy his Ray-Bans are made by and popular with infidels. Or is he going for the James Dean Jihadist look, must be all the rage in the middle east right now.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #300
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You mean like that time when Arab Muslims preserved much of western civilization and philosophy that would surely have been lost to the barbaric religiously fueled European ears orf the dark ages?
Soooo, about 1000 years ago (while still being involved in a war, no less). Good one. You sure are changing peoples minds around here.

Last edited by RyZ; 08-09-2014 at 03:26 PM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post: