Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #281
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol.....

I'm so starting a fridge installation company.

"We'll plug it in and push it against the wall for you!"

But ya...hoping he's referring to a water line.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #282
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
We have purchased a new samsung fridge. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone who can install the fridge for us?
Before you install it....return it for another brand.
Have heard nothing but horrible things about Samsung appliances.
Multiple stores I was in refused to sell me one, saying that other than washer and dryers, their appliances are complete garbage.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #283
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
lol.....

I'm so starting a fridge installation company.

"We'll plug it in and push it against the wall for you!"

But ya...hoping he's referring to a water line.

$170+ tax at Trial Appliances to do this exact procedure.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #284
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes mainly for the water line. Obviously hooking up the power will be easy.

I picked up the samsung 4 door fridge. samsung actually makes decent fridges. The dishwashers I will stay far far away from.

(Source: I sell appliances Part Time)
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #285
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Call up a plumber, get a real valve installed. Don't get one of the needle valves that just clamps on. If you ever have a problem, you now have a hole in your pipe. It should take the plumber about 10 minutes.

I just had a plumber replace the needle valve in my house, that the previous owner must have installed, because it wasn't working, and I couldn't shut it off.

Lucky for me, because this valve wasn't working, I also discovered that my main shutoff valve wasn't working. Don't want to find out that that valve isn't working when you have a real emergency.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 01-09-2015 at 11:17 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #286
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Yes mainly for the water line. Obviously hooking up the power will be easy.

I picked up the samsung 4 door fridge. samsung actually makes decent fridges. The dishwashers I will stay far far away from.

(Source: I sell appliances Part Time)
If you already have a water line run, the water is basically just as easy as plugging in the power. Google it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #287
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
If you already have a water line run, the water is basically just as easy as plugging in the power. Google it.
Thanks! Will look into it.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #288
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have a question about code and electrical repair.

A 60A main electrical disconnect failed and the electrician repaired it by putting in a new enclosure and a 60A plug in breaker.

But they're saying that was just to get it working, that because repairs were required to restore power that the whole service needs to comply with the Canadian Electrical Code which is supposedly a 200A disconnect and it's $2000 to replace.

If you're repairing something you don't have to upgrade to comply with current code do you? Aren't you grandfathered in?

An electrician I know said it should be grandfathered in, someone else tells me that my insurance would not cover an electrical fire because it's not in code...

Not sure who to believe, or even how to find out.

EDIT: And why a 200A disconnect, that seems excessive for a place that's probably not even 1200sqft.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #289
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

200A seems excessive for a house that size.

I don't have my "electrical code for dummies" book with me at work but I replaced my feed with a 100A unit a few years ago (900 sq. ft. house) and this was perfectly acceptable to the city and my insurance company.

My house also had a 60A fuse panel originally but I was unable to find an insurance company that would insure me so I was forced to upgrade. I would call you insurance company and ask them.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #290
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I have a question about code and electrical repair.

A 60A main electrical disconnect failed and the electrician repaired it by putting in a new enclosure and a 60A plug in breaker.

But they're saying that was just to get it working, that because repairs were required to restore power that the whole service needs to comply with the Canadian Electrical Code which is supposedly a 200A disconnect and it's $2000 to replace.

If you're repairing something you don't have to upgrade to comply with current code do you? Aren't you grandfathered in?

An electrician I know said it should be grandfathered in, someone else tells me that my insurance would not cover an electrical fire because it's not in code...

Not sure who to believe, or even how to find out.

EDIT: And why a 200A disconnect, that seems excessive for a place that's probably not even 1200sqft.

Did you need a permit for that? The inspector probably could tell you.

Actually I put in a 60A sub panel and I had to have that inspected.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #291
photon

Exp:

I'm not sure, I'd have to ask the guy that did the repair if they got a permit. Why would they need a permit to repair something that existed?

There's a Fortis tag or clip or whatever those things are on the meter, doesn't that mean it's been inspected?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #292
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It does indeed have to be upgraded - If it's something that has to be re-inspected, as that electrical work does, it would then need to pass current day code to be inspected and tagged.

So

1) yes, a repair that requires a reinspection does have to comply with current code

2) I am no electrician, but 200A seems excessive - I'd get another electrician in, for a second quote and 2nd opinion.

Some folks would just have a guy replace the 60A with another 60A and call it done, and not get it inspected...Depends on the person.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #293
photon

Exp:

Why does it need to be re-inspected? I'm not changing anything. Who decides what needs to be inspected and what doesn't need to be inspected?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #294
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rule of thumb for any home renos is that if you work on something and you are aware it is not meeting code, you are obligated to bring it up to code.

For instance. I am replacing a couple of windows. One is in a bedroom downstairs that was long and short. It consisted of a stationary pane of glass in the middle and 2 smaller windows that could open on the ends. Well, it did not meet egress codes, which means the opening windows aren't big enough for a person to escape in a fire. I am obligated to put in windows that meet egress, or remove the closet in the bedroom and call it a den. I ended up having to make the window smaller so I could have one bigger window that will open and one stationary window.

There's lots of crap like that that people ignore.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #295
photon

Exp:

I talked to the electrical inspector for the area and he said that electrical is the one area where there are no exemptions; technically the smallest work (replacing a light switch even) is supposed to have a permit and be inspected.

He didn't have any idea why I'd be quoted for a 200A cut off though.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #296
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I talked to the electrical inspector for the area and he said that electrical is the one area where there are no exemptions; technically the smallest work (replacing a light switch even) is supposed to have a permit and be inspected.
Did he have a French accent, because I think that is the way it is in Quebec, but not in Alberta. I replaced a bunch of Aluminum with Copper and they said I didn't need one for that. They did say though if I make any new connections or outlets etc., I need one.
I've had 2, one for installing a new 60A sub panel and one for a bunch of new outlets.
Inspections are a mysterious world.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #297
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the topic of electrical issues...

I have a outdoor outlet that doesn't seem to work. As troubleshooting so far I have:

1) Opened the outlet and confirm no power to the plug at all from the wires
2) Checked back in the circuit (to the one other outdoor plug) and confirmed power to that outlet, both going in and going out of the plug
3) Checked the circuit box and confirmed breaker is working fine (for ground fault)
4) Checked the wires running in my garage (plug not working is on the outside of the garage) and confirmed none of the wires I can see run to the faulty outlet

At this point, I'm out of ideas and not sure where to go from here. Have I exhasted all my options as amateur electrician? Is it time to call in a pro, or are there other things I can do?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #298
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I assuming that for code, I need to install AFCIs for Bedroom plugs as I change them out?

I have three circuits that have bedroom plugs on them, The last one that I did, I did with an AFCI, and I purchased another one (To redo one that I've already changed out. I would have to get a third to redo the third circuit. $40 each those things.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #299
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
On the topic of electrical issues...

I have a outdoor outlet that doesn't seem to work. As troubleshooting so far I have:
I think you may have rats in your walls that have chewed through the wire.
Has it ever worked?
You can get this line tracer to see if you're tracing what you think you're tracing.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/lan-...-1-clam/963530
Old 01-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #300
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
LEDs are incredibly susceptible to heat, so if you don't have an effective way to remove the heat your bulbs will die very fast.
Replacing the Phillips in my office with Cree and yeah, when the bulb say don't use in a closed fixture they really mean it lol.