Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #2961
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Can we change the title of thread, it funny to see people say the Oilers are no good but they managed to destroy the Flames this season. If their players are no good, what does that say about our players.
I love the thread. Plus it says Edmonton is no good. Not the Oilers players
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #2962
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
Young Stars Tournament
Edmonton 4, Calgary 3 (OT)

Preseason
Edmonton 4, Calgary 2
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1

Regular Season
Edmonton 7, Calgary 4
Edmonton 5, Calgary 3
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1 (SO)
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3

Edmonton is good

thanks for coming out guys...see you all next year
You just beat us four times in a row, scoring seven goals in two of those games and you felt the need to go back to the meaningless preseason and youngstars tournament games? You actually remembered those?

I don't want to call you a petty loser, so I won't but if someone did I wouldn't disagree.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #2963
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Spector got to write the article he has been dreaming of for a decade now all about how the Oilers are so far ahead of the Flames and it doesn't look like we will be able to catch up
Hopefully Spector mentioned the fact that 7 years in a row, the Oilers have had top 6 picks... including 4 #1s

with that kind of NHL Welfare, it was only a matter of time before they climbed out of the basement...

So, they can crow about it as much as they want, I still have zero respect for that Organization...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #2964
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe there were a few of us on this thread who were ridiculed for saying the Oilers were going to finally make the playoffs and finish above the Flames this year....
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #2965
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I believe there were a few of us on this thread who were ridiculed for saying the Oilers were going to finally make the playoffs and finish above the Flames this year....
Even the Cubs won the World Series...

You CANNOT keep accumulating the number of high picks that the Oilers have and not turn it around eventually... the fact that it took this many speaks to how gawd awful that organization is...

they must have the most top picks out of any franchise in the modern era...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #2966
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

the Welfare Millionaires
Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #2967
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Spector got to write the article he has been dreaming of for a decade now all about how the Oilers are so far ahead of the Flames and it doesn't look like we will be able to catch up

I don't think the Oilers are that much ahead, that the Flames won't be able to catch up(we may never have a player like McDavid) but we are not that too behind. Here are some things that need to happen for us to be good:

A true number 1 goalie- someone that can play 60 games, while stealing some games for us, while being very solid.

A true top 6 forward-this has to be a true top 6 forward, mostly likely a RW, someone, who can put 50-60 points.

A top 4 D man-this has to be someone who can play 20 minutes while being solid a defencemen who can play both sides of the ice well.

A coach that plays to the teams strengths-this has to be a solid coach, with NHL experience(Julien maybe), this has to be done one who can see the teams strengths, this is something the current coaching is not doing.

Some from the farm has to come to the big club and make a impact-someone has to come up from the farm to fill one or two of the spots mentioned. Because we won't be able to fill all of the needed positions, with just UFA's and trades.

Continue to draft well-this is something that Trevling has done well and it needs to continue.

All of these things will be hard to do but needs to be done, I do t think Gulatans system is the right system for this team.

Last edited by Par; 01-22-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #2968
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Hopefully Spector mentioned the fact that 7 years in a row, the Oilers have had top 6 picks... including 4 #1s

with that kind of NHL Welfare, it was only a matter of time before they climbed out of the basement...

So, they can crow about it as much as they want, I still have zero respect for that Organization...
The same could be said of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the New York Islanders (before this season). Eventually, the hockey world stops remembering the amount of suck that it took to get the finished product and just emphasized the finished product itself.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #2969
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think the Oilers are that much ahead, that the Flames won't be able to catch up(we may never have a player like McDavid) but we are too behind. Here are some things that need to happen for us to be good:

A true number 1 goalie- someone that can play 60 games, while stealing some games for us, while being very solid.

A true top 6 forward-this has to be a true top 6 forward, mostly likely a RW, someone, who can put 50-60 points.

A top 4 D man-this has to be someone who can play 20 minutes while being solid a defencemen who can play both sides of the ice well.

A coach that plays to the teams strengths-this has to be a solid coach, with NHL experience(Julien maybe), this has to be done one who can see the teams strengths, this is something the current coaching is not doing.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #2970
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Young Stars Tournament

Preseason
Edmonton 4, Calgary 2
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1

Regular Season
Edmonton 7, Calgary 4
Edmonton 5, Calgary 3
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3

Edmonton is good

Wow you couldn't wait for this, it must be hard to go through the life supporting a hockey team that basically makes you the crown jester joke of the hockey world.

You pretty much rarely show up here except when you have success, so the term fair weather really applies to you. The fact that you feel the need to come to another board when your team has success in what is a rarity on the level of Halley's comet coming in visible view of earth means that you probably have very little in your life worth being happy about.

Enjoy this while it lasts, your team really isn't going anywhere, they're not good enough or deep enough, and they're setting you up for major dissapointment and unsustainability. Frankly your team is worse then the Flames team that made the playoffs a couple of years back. Its an illusion based on three or four players carrying a corpse across the desert. Eventually Talbot will wear out, McDavid won't be able to carry the rest of the trash and then next year the Oilers will crash.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but really if I can give you some friendly advice, quit being a tool.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #2971
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have a good (not great) team.

They have the worst fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #2972
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless Sisters View Post
The same could be said of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the New York Islanders (before this season). Eventually, the hockey world stops remembering the amount of suck that it took to get the finished product and just emphasized the finished product itself.
not quite... 7 top 6 picks in 7 years, is pretty much the worst i've seen... Pittsburgh had 5 years of top 6 picks, but only 2 #1s and 2 #2s in grouping...

the islanders only had 4 years with top 6 picks, and only Tavares was number 1. Ditto with Chicago.

Oilers are the team that has taken advantage of the NHL Welfare system the most...

with that kind of support, that franchise HAD to get better, regardless of how bad they are....

Hearing their fans crowing over this run of mediocrity is what irks me the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #2973
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless Sisters View Post
Same with the Blackhawks.

Great username btw
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #2974
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've never wished the worst on a team or its fan.

But when the Oilers add 20+ million in payroll over the next year and have to trade their depth for nothing and the team collapses back to where it belongs. I will say that a large segment of the Oiler fans deserve nothing but absolute misery.

AO72 comes across as a completely unlikable braggart with very little to add to any hockey discussion, and my fervent wish is that the Oilers completely break him.

I would think that good Oiler fans, and there are some find him to be a complete embarrassment to their fanbase.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #2975
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Young Stars Tournament

Preseason
Edmonton 4, Calgary 2
Edmonton 2, Calgary 1

Regular Season
Edmonton 7, Calgary 4
Edmonton 5, Calgary 3
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3

Edmonton is good

Maybe you should check the head to head record over the last decade. Not just 4 months. Dumbass.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #2976
amazing_oilers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sadly people will forget how bad the Oilers were for a decade. A whole generation of kids were lost or not interested in hockey because of them. However in Chicago nobody talks about how they were drawing 8000 fans to a game when they missued the playoffs 10/11 years. They talk about all the cups they've won and how Toews and Kane lead them to a dynasty. Hopefully the same happens in Edmonton. Also for all the #1 overall pick hype it's interesting that the only one of them that really matters is #97. Nuge hasn't lived up to the hype, Yak was a bust, Hall was a franchise player but had to be sacrificed. The Oilers really got lucky getting Draisaitl and Nurse as those two will have huge roles when they are hoisting the next cup.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #2977
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
You just beat us four times in a row, scoring seven goals in two of those games and you felt the need to go back to the meaningless preseason and youngstars tournament games? You actually remembered those?

I don't want to call you a petty loser, so I won't but if someone did I wouldn't disagree.
I'm almost shocked he didn't mention 5-1.

I was wondering when the Oiler fans would show up. I expected more of them last night, but they surprised me.
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #2978
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate losing to the Oilers but as a fan, I acknowledge they beat us soundly this year and are currently the better team. No point in whining about their good fortune.

I wil be rooting against them in every game and look forward to shoring up our own problems so this doesn't have to happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #2979
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hate losing to the Oilers but as a fan, I acknowledge they beat us soundly this year and are currently the better team. No point in whining about their good fortune.

I wil be rooting against them in every game and look forward to shoring up our own problems so this doesn't have to happen again.
Yep the tables have turned and now it's the Calgary Flames that are no good. We even got our version of Dallas Eakins as the cherry on top.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #2980
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Can we change the title of thread, it funny to see people say the Oilers are no good but they managed to destroy the Flames this season. If their players are no good, what does that say about our players.
No.
Closed Thread