Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 06:55 AM   #2941
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A rule of thumb for the Flames should be to stay away from guys that have been in the US National Development Team system. Their mindset isn't on playing in Canada. The Flames would just be setting themselves up to be Foxed again.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 07:13 AM   #2942
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
A rule of thumb for the Flames should be to stay away from guys that have been in the US National Development Team system. Their mindset isn't on playing in Canada. The Flames would just be setting themselves up to be Foxed again.
Caufield, Matthews, Brady Tkachuk, Lane Hutson, etc

Lots of these guys have signed with Canadian teams long term. If you plan accordingly it shouldn't be an issue.

Matthew Tkachuk is still light years better than anybody else they could have picked at his spot.

Adam Fox had his sights set on one team, and in the end a 3rd round pick still turned into equivalent value of two 2nd round picks.

Sure if you have 2 guys rated relatively close at a certain spot then pick the other guy, but if you believe some body is head and shoulders the best player then take him.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-09-2024 at 07:47 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 07:16 AM   #2943
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bader is doing the benefit of hindsight thing again.

His model liked Honzek more at the time than Musty. It wasn't a mistake at the time.

Perreault maybe a bit of a mistake...but the team did have a lot of small wingers in the system already.

Honzek's season is a write off due to injury, you just have to hope he bounces back with a huge season next year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-09-2024 at 07:18 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:35 AM   #2944
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If he’s not, we’re gonna get one of Lindstrom, Catton, Dickinson or Parekh and any are acceptable consolations.

As far as I'm concerned taking Iginla is the acceptable consolation to not getting any of those guys not the reverse.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:38 AM   #2945
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bader is doing the benefit of hindsight thing again.

His model liked Honzek more at the time than Musty. It wasn't a mistake at the time.

Perreault maybe a bit of a mistake...but the team did have a lot of small wingers in the system already.

Honzek's season is a write off due to injury, you just have to hope he bounces back with a huge season next year.
His model also had Honzek being no better than Carolina's 6th round pick, Timur Mukhanov. And it's looking fairly accurate.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1674530894923829248

https://twitter.com/user/status/1674471903682269184

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 05-09-2024 at 08:46 AM.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #2946
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Caufield, Matthews, Brady Tkachuk, Lane Hutson, etc

Lots of these guys have signed with Canadian teams long term. If you plan accordingly it shouldn't be an issue.

Matthew Tkachuk is still light years better than anybody else they could have picked at his spot.

Adam Fox had his sights set on one team, and in the end a 3rd round pick still turned into equivalent value of two 2nd round picks.

Sure if you have 2 guys rated relatively close at a certain spot then pick the other guy, but if you believe some body is head and shoulders the best player then take him.
Think what you want but I have that from a guy who has coached in that system and he says there is such an anti-Canada sentiment in everything they do that he would not want to take the risk of drafting a player with that mindset. He says it's just getting worse as US hockey gets better and better. These kids hate Canada more than they hate Russia. It's a risk he says he would not take as a small market Canadian team. To me, the Flames should not be getting involved with possible flight risks and instead select players that aren't adverse to Canada and want to be in Calgary long-term.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:13 AM   #2947
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Zero issue with breaking a tie that way.

Big issue with selecting a lesser player on your list because of his passport.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #2948
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Zero issue with breaking a tie that way.

Big issue with selecting a lesser player on your list because of his passport.
Yet we see it done with Russians quite a bit. If you know there is a risk that could blow up in your face, why take it?

Like in this draft, if I have a choice between say Demidov and Catton, I'm taking Catton all day long. Or between Buium or Parekh, I'm taking Parekh immediately. And I'm not saying it about all Americans, just those ones who have been brought up in that one program.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 05-09-2024 at 09:42 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #2949
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yet we see it done with Russians quite a bit. If you know there is a risk that could blow up in your face, why take it?

Like in this draft, if I have a choice between say Demidov and Catton, I'm taking Catton all day long. Or between Buium or Parekh, I'm taking Parekh immediately. And I'm not saying it about all Americans, just those ones who have been brought up in that one program.
Idk if I’m taking Catton over Demidov personally. Catton over Eiserman? 100%. But Demidov is a tier above imo
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #2950
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Because Russians are a finite game.

Russian doesn't come over and he has zero value to the drafting team or any of the other 31 teams.

American won't go to Calgary and there are still 25 teams (or maybe 28) that can deploy the player and would value him as a prospect with another organization.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 11:27 AM   #2951
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Think what you want but I have that from a guy who has coached in that system and he says there is such an anti-Canada sentiment in everything they do that he would not want to take the risk of drafting a player with that mindset. He says it's just getting worse as US hockey gets better and better. These kids hate Canada more than they hate Russia. It's a risk he says he would not take as a small market Canadian team. To me, the Flames should not be getting involved with possible flight risks and instead select players that aren't adverse to Canada and want to be in Calgary long-term.
Drafting a lesser player or settling on someone simply because of nationality is a quick way to end up missing over and over again. Regardless, I have a hard time believing that assessment of hatred when there are numerous examples of US players choosing to sign long term in Canada. It's really just pure bunk. I can easily think of half a dozen elite level players that either re-upped long term or have stayed in Canada longer than they could have before forcing a move or simply leaving and that's without even trying.

Regardless, the Flames need to be incredibly smart with American or any foreign player for that matter. You can't be an idiot about it and not extend a high end player when you have a chance to do it, cap aside. You just get it done and if the best before tag is approaching, cut your losses and trade the asset while value is still high.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:53 AM   #2952
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this draft doesn't really matter. It's only Buiium or Eiserman and I don't think the Flames will get a chance at Buium and will likely pass on Eiserman.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:55 AM   #2953
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well this draft doesn't really matter. It's only Buiium or Eiserman and I don't think the Flames will get a chance at Buium and will likely pass on Eiserman.
Hutson's a potential selection with the Vancouver pick.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:59 AM   #2954
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Hutson's a potential selection with the Vancouver pick.
If they did their due diligence, shouldn't be an issue, his Brother signed in MTL, no reason to suspect he wouldn't sign in CGY as a pick.

I'm sure picking a USNDP player or NCAA probably has a higher risk assessment value than the Russian factor these days, but these can be conversed about prior to picking a player.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #2955
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and there's no scenario outside of Demidov saying he wouldn't play for the Flames where I'd take anyone over Demidov, that's dumb. Maybe the dumbest argument going on in here.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:03 PM   #2956
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Just don’t make this mistake again.

If we are talking about mistakes I would've personally gone the Hunter Smith route... lol. It's too early to look at Honzek.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:05 PM   #2957
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oh, and there's no scenario outside of Demidov saying he wouldn't play for the Flames where I'd take anyone over Demidov, that's dumb. Maybe the dumbest argument going on in here.
I might be 50-50 on it if I lived in some some wild alternate reality where Both Levshunov and Demidov were somehow available... but otherwise yeah it's a no brainer... If Demidov is available at 9 (he won't be) the Flames should run (not walk) to the podium.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:08 PM   #2958
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do we think Montreal takes Hutson (again)? They have a later first round just before ours I think.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:10 PM   #2959
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I might be 50-50 on it if I lived in some some wild alternate reality where Both Levshunov and Demidov were somehow available... but otherwise yeah it's a no brainer... If Demidov is available at 9 (he won't be) the Flames should run (not walk) to the podium.
If dickinson or buium is there at the same time demidov is going somewhere else
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:11 PM   #2960
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Do we think Montreal takes Hutson (again)? They have a later first round just before ours I think.
Seems like too much of the same. I still want the Flames to take Poirier's brother though
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft