Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2024, 03:17 PM   #2941
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to get mighty interesting...

The U.S. sues Apple, saying it abuses its power to monopolize the smartphone market
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:29 AM   #2942
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Is it possible to use a 2014 27" iMac solely as a display? A quick search suggests that this functionality may no longer be supported
Probably not. Unless you are taking things apart.

Look into OpenCore. I run it on a few 2014 iMac's, both 24" and 27". The Mac will run just fine but if you do just want it as a monitor it would be possible to use apple link or whatever it is called to extend another Mac or link the keyboard and mouse.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-...-the-installer
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:53 AM   #2943
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Bastian of free enterprise.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:13 AM   #2944
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Why doesn’t the government just break it up like it did with Standard Oil back in the day?

Monopolies should be pretty simple to break up.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:00 AM   #2945
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Why doesn’t the government just break it up like it did with Standard Oil back in the day?

Monopolies should be pretty simple to break up.
But is it a Monopoly?

Quote:
Old 03-25-2024, 10:18 AM   #2946
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s the problem exactly? There are other options for customers besides those. I don’t think anyone is held captive to iPhones by Apple Pay or iMessage. I also appreciate that app store isn’t littered with loads of poorly written apps.

I get the issue from the in-app payment side of things, but that’s easily navigated around.

The claim looks like it was written by somebody who really hated Steve Jobs though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:51 AM   #2947
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I also believe Google, Samsung, and maybe even others have their own Apple Pay equivalent. If you don’t like iMessage, you can text, or use WhatsApp, or one of a number of different messaging apps.

I’m not sure how this lawsuit is remotely logical or good for consumers. They’re basically suing Apple for having a software ecosystem that interacts seamlessly with their own hardware. Who out there actually hates that? What consumer is mad because they can use Apple software on their iPhone?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:39 AM   #2948
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I also believe Google, Samsung, and maybe even others have their own Apple Pay equivalent. If you don’t like iMessage, you can text, or use WhatsApp, or one of a number of different messaging apps.

I’m not sure how this lawsuit is remotely logical or good for consumers. They’re basically suing Apple for having a software ecosystem that interacts seamlessly with their own hardware. Who out there actually hates that? What consumer is mad because they can use Apple software on their iPhone?
Google and Samsung have their own stores but don't restrict users from installing apps via other means. Apple does.

iMessage is the only way to send and receive SMS, and texts from non-Apple devices are green, not blue, which has just enough difference in contrast to be noticable.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #2949
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is iMessage thing a big deal? What kind or useful apps would a regular person want to side load?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 11:44 AM   #2950
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

iMessage is the only way to send and receive SMS, and texts from non-Apple devices are green, not blue, which has just enough difference in contrast to be noticable.
Sorry why is this an issue?

Quote:
Old 03-25-2024, 12:22 PM   #2951
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bigger issue with iMessage is it isn't a standard. Apple has finally been dragged(by the carriers) kicking and screaming to adopt the RCS standard. As an Android user, getting stuff from iPhone users means they get sent by SMS, which is insecure and can't sent rich features, so the images are always trash. It's also an issue with group messaging mixing iMessage and SMS users. And then there are the children...

This is just typical Apple behavior. Maybe one day they'll stop doing it, but I doubt it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #2952
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I think that's oversimplifying the iMessage problem. My parents and sister use iOS and I use Android. There's a bunch of issues with interacting with an iOS based message via Android or other systems:

- Messages convert to SMS, which was fine back in 2000 but pretty useless today.
- Messages over a certain length sent from iOS to Android go haywire. I get a long paragraph that gets split mid sentence into another message or even worse it starts splitting every line into a separate text. One time I got a dozen text messages that would be solved by one paragraph.
- Video sent via iMessage to Android is converted to a very low quality MMS file.

I've tried to explain to my family that they can't send me pictures and video over the Apple messaging app and to use facebook messenger or whatsapp. It's like getting a blank stare in return. They don't see any issue on their end so they don't understand.

There's a reason RCS is a good standard to adopt. It fixes all those issues and more. Apple doesn't want it though because then they'd give less reason for people to use iMessage over the alternatives.

EDIT: Sorry Fuzz, your post wasn't there when I started typing this.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 03:47 PM   #2953
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apple intentionally weakens the security of one's phone while talking up security. That's a problem. The fact that Apple can never seem to use industry standards is also a problem. They are not the be all end all of technology. Not even close. The fact that they cannot even fix their latest security #### up in M based systems is hilarious. iMessage and the app store are touted as super secure but they are really only ways to shoehorn and make money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #2954
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

And yet, the government is suing Apple because iMessage is too great.

Droid-heads taking L’s all over the place.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 09:05 PM   #2955
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Finally made the switch to the iPhone with the 15 pro max this weekend; I've been a happy Nexus/Pixel user over the years but my Pixel 6 was just garbage from start to finish, so many issues. With apple moving to USB C I felt better about the move.

Some things I like, some things I hate. iMessage is really great, the notification system is whack. Already miss all my little icons at the top with a quick pull down menu showing quick information. Automatically sorting app icons at the top is trash too, ditto for the keyboard. Even the nerfed Swiftkey pales in comparison to the Android version.

The things that sell an iPhone, facetime, iMessage, camera quality etc are the things it does really well. Lot of the other stuff it just feels like it takes more time to do it vs an Android phone. The notification system needs a huge overall.

I'll admit it's only been three days and lots to get used to however.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:21 PM   #2956
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Finally made the switch to the iPhone with the 15 pro max this weekend; I've been a happy Nexus/Pixel user over the years but my Pixel 6 was just garbage from start to finish, so many issues. With apple moving to USB C I felt better about the move.

Some things I like, some things I hate. iMessage is really great, the notification system is whack. Already miss all my little icons at the top with a quick pull down menu showing quick information. Automatically sorting app icons at the top is trash too, ditto for the keyboard. Even the nerfed Swiftkey pales in comparison to the Android version.

The things that sell an iPhone, facetime, iMessage, camera quality etc are the things it does really well. Lot of the other stuff it just feels like it takes more time to do it vs an Android phone. The notification system needs a huge overall.

I'll admit it's only been three days and lots to get used to however.
It's funny because I *hate* the Android keyboards I've used on my work Galaxy S10e and the Pixel 8 I'm running now. I've tried a few, but the stock iPhone keyboard with swipe for me is still the best. The swipe functionality itself has trained itself to be useless more often than I'd like, but in terms of it being a good keyboard to type on, I dramatically prefer my iPhone's keyboard.

Windows Phone 8.1 still had -- bar none -- the best damn keyboard and swipe functionality out there. Even Windows 10 Mobile wasn't as good.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:24 AM   #2957
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And yet, the government is suing Apple because iMessage is too great.
I know this is sarcastic, but I'm glad they're getting some heat for their anti-competitive behavior. I bought an Apple TV and it told me to use an iPhone to update my Apple ID. No other options. Locked my Apple account when I clicked "not now". Really nice stuff, Apple.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:11 AM   #2958
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It's funny because I *hate* the Android keyboards I've used on my work Galaxy S10e and the Pixel 8 I'm running now. I've tried a few, but the stock iPhone keyboard with swipe for me is still the best. The swipe functionality itself has trained itself to be useless more often than I'd like, but in terms of it being a good keyboard to type on, I dramatically prefer my iPhone's keyboard.

Windows Phone 8.1 still had -- bar none -- the best damn keyboard and swipe functionality out there. Even Windows 10 Mobile wasn't as good.
I am with Big Thief. I hated the apple interfaces, notifications are a joke compared to Android and I dislike the keyboard immensely. Give me my number rows and long press options. And seeing how iphone is slowly turning their keyboard into and android one I don't see how one can dislike android keyboards.

Cameras are a wash. With Pixel, Samsung, Apple and even OnePlus it is very difficult for one to tell which is which let alone which one is better. iPhone rarely wins in blind camera tests. They also over saturate their images similar to Samsung to offer the illusion of better.

I don't mind them locking down imessage and facetime but update the back end from SMS to RCS for the betterment of all including your own users. Don't care about the colour of my bubble but I do care when a company says they are all about security and privacy and then intentionally go against that.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:12 AM   #2959
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
My sister is an android user and at Christmas we setup her Apple TV by just clicking the setup manually button and it took 3 minutes. Maybe there was some further issue with your Apple ID.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:59 PM   #2960
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
And seeing how iphone is slowly turning their keyboard into and android one I don't see how one can dislike android keyboards.
Something about the feel, placement, and precision of the keys on Android keyboards drives me nuts. I make more mistakes on Android keyboards than I do on my iPhone keyboard. It isn't some objective thing, I just personally prefer the keyboard on iOS.

Also, Apple has had long-press options for a long time now, it's how I type my cat's name (Oskär).