Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #2941
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Rice isn’t dirty. You don’t wash rice to clean it, you wash it to get rid of extra starch which can make it stickier/mushier.
Also removes dust and debris.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #2942
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rice isn’t dirty. You don’t wash rice to clean it, you wash it to get rid of extra starch which can make it stickier/mushier.
This is a really strange comment because we clearly were talking about the context of cleanliness and washing things for hygiene. Yes, of course washing rice has cooking benefits in terms of texture and stickiness. That's not what the discussion was about though was it?
Old 11-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #2943
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
This is a really strange comment because we clearly were talking about the context of cleanliness and washing things for hygiene. Yes, of course washing rice has cooking benefits in terms of texture and stickiness. That's not what the discussion was about though was it?
Is it? You don’t actually wash your rice because you think it’s dirty, do you? That’s insane.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #2944
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it? You don’t actually wash your rice because you think it’s dirty, do you? That’s insane.
I wash my rice because I buy it in bulk in a burlap bag and it tastes better when you cook it and yes it does rinse out #### like dust and things that I don't want in my food. I think it's really weird that you think that's insane. But then again you're the master class of trolling and being a #### poster
Old 11-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #2945
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I wash my rice because I buy it in bulk in a burlap bag and it tastes better when you cook it and yes it does rinse out #### like dust and things that I don't want in my food. I think it's really weird that you think that's insane. But then again you're the master class of trolling and being a #### poster
There’s logical, scientific reasons to rinse it, but washing it because it’s “dirty” isn’t one of them. Though I should have guessed you would turn washing rice into some weird personal conflict.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #2946
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Family member uses clean measuring cup to scoop rice into pot. Uses same cup to measure water. Cup gets put into dishwasher. Why?

We just have a cup that that came with the rice cooker and we leave it in the bag of rice to scoop. After a few times you should be able to eyeball the amount of water - it doesn’t have to be super precise. I could see measuring both each time if the pot is really awkwardly shaped.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #2947
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Idk man. I'm out here just getting back to my hotel in the middle of the night and I feel like my crew hit it out of the park. Had the fake cigarette in my mouth the whole time. I realize it seems ridiculous, but I feel good with it and it seems to invite cool people to have fun conversations with us. Don't know what to tell you.

I need some details. Who talked to you, and why do you think it was based on your fake cig?
Old 11-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #2948
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
There’s logical, scientific reasons to rinse it, but washing it because it’s “dirty” isn’t one of them. Though I should have guessed you would turn washing rice into some weird personal conflict.
Removing starch is the biggest reason to rinse rice but it passes through so many hands before it gets to your kitchen it doesn’t hurt to rinse out dirt and impurities as well.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:09 AM   #2949
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I need some details. Who talked to you, and why do you think it was based on your fake cig?
Well I'm pretty sure details about a random night out with my friends will come across as totally lame. Like, I didn't have an adventure like Ferris Bueller where I had a whole city celebrating me in a parade. We were a pack of eight dudes at a bar mixing and mingling, I guess. The night wasn't focussed on my prop cigarette. It was just a small part of the larger #### show we were and we had lots of fun. It really fits in well at a bar because it feels natural to have a smoke in your mouth.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 11:19 AM   #2950
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Removing starch is the biggest reason to rinse rice but it passes through so many hands before it gets to your kitchen it doesn’t hurt to rinse out dirt and impurities as well.
AFAIK rinsing it out washes away some of the nutrients, which are probably not a big deal overall, but I imagine at least as big of a deal as the dirt being washed away.

The excess starch is definitely the reason the majority of people rinse it.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #2951
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It gets cooked in water, that's all the rinsing I need
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #2952
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It gets cooked in water, that's all the rinsing I need
Aren't you just concentrating the "dirt and dust" in the pot with the rice once the water evaporates?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #2953
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Dude but I think the "dust" is just rice dust from the grains rubbing together during processing, shipping, etc. It's not like the dust you have to wipe off your baseboards.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 11:44 AM   #2954
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude but I think the "dust" is just rice dust from the grains rubbing together during processing, shipping, etc. It's not like the dust you have to wipe off your baseboards.
Also known as starch.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #2955
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure details about a random night out with my friends will come across as totally lame. Like, I didn't have an adventure like Ferris Bueller where I had a whole city celebrating me in a parade. We were a pack of eight dudes at a bar mixing and mingling, I guess. The night wasn't focussed on my prop cigarette. It was just a small part of the larger #### show we were and we had lots of fun. It really fits in well at a bar because it feels natural to have a smoke in your mouth.

So were the cool conversations then with wait staff asking you not to smoke, and then you had to admit that it wasn’t a real cigarette and that led to other interesting conversations?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 03:35 PM   #2956
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You guys know google exists right? I guess it’s more fun to argue but you could just look this #### up.

Quote:
By washing white rice (where the bran has been milled), the excess starch is washed off, as well as the oxidized rice bran oil, which adds an unpleasant flavor to the cooked rice." Washing rice will also remove dust and debris and help the grains to be more separated, rather than sticky.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #2957
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You guys know google exists right? I guess it’s more fun to argue but you could just look this #### up.
What’s a google?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #2958
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What’s a google?
Hmm...

Quote:
A googol is 10 to the 100th power, which is 1 followed by 100 zeros. While this is an unimaginably large number, there's still an infinite quantity of larger numbers. One such number is googolplex, which is 10 to the power of a googol, or 1 followed by a googol of zeros.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 05:20 PM   #2959
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently parents and quite a few are regularly ordering Skip the Dishes to bring lunch for their kids at elementary school. I find this incredibly absurd and surprised the school is allowing it. Grade 2s getting McDonald’s delivered. Wild times.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #2960
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

some rice sometimes has little bits of grit in them - I've occassionally crunched on one and it sucks. So it gets rinsed in our house. Also I've been strongly advised to use a measuring cup cos although I can't seem to detect mushy/sticky rice it bothers others... sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote