Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #2921
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I built this custom carrier for my sons bike this weekend. It will attach to the back of my cargo bike. This will allow me to bring his bike along with us so he can do some riding on the river pathway. When he gets tired I’ll be able to load him and his bike up and ride up the hill without an issue.

I used some plywood, and old pipe wood clamp and a big honking magnet.

Last edited by surferguy; 06-27-2021 at 11:07 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:22 AM   #2922
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hey guys, my bike was stolen two years ago and I've been out of it since then. I just paid the bike-shortage tax and bought an inflated road bike on Facebook Marketplace because I couldn't hold back any longer.

I've been out of the scene for a few years now, looking to get back on the bike and shed a few pounds. I'm looking for a few things along with the first basic check/tune-up for this bike as it's second hand.

1. Basic check/tune up. There are so many options from MEC to Bike & Brew to The Bike Shop to the guy down by the river. Who should I go to?

2. Obvious a new/better lock and way to attach it to the bike

3. Shimano Sora 11-32T cassette, the bike came with Sora 12-25T which doesn't help someone out of shape with climbing

4. A pannier rack for road bikes

Any tips? Are parts also in shortage? I haven't been able to find any of the last two while browsing the major local shop websites.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-28-2021 at 02:25 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #2923
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hey guys, my bike was stolen two years ago and I've been out of it since then. I just paid the bike-shortage tax and bought an inflated road bike on Facebook Marketplace because I couldn't hold back any longer.

I've been out of the scene for a few years now, looking to get back on the bike and shed a few pounds. I'm looking for a few things along with the first basic check/tune-up for this bike as it's second hand.
1. Basic check/tune up. There are so many options from MEC to Bike & Brew to The Bike Shop to the guy down by the river. Who should I go to?

Any shop you can get into right now would be fine I'm sure. A little, out of the way, shop I took my bike to recently that had quick turnaround was http://ridebikesyyc.com. They're in the industrial area by Chinook.

I have a Kryptonite U lock with the cable. There are different levels of them and none will be perfect.

3. Shimano Sora 11-32T cassette, the bike came with Sora 12-25T which doesn't help someone out of shape with climbing

Parts are still scarce. When you chat with the shop you bring your bike to, see what they can recommend. Sometimes you can mix and match components.

The kind of rack you can use will be dependant on the bike. Does the bike have eyelets for securing the rack? Are you going to be using it for commuting or is it just to bring things along when you ride? If it's the latter, you might just want to bring a smaller backpack with you instead. If making climbing easier is a goal, adding the extra weight of a rack and panniers wouldn't be ideal.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #2924
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Fun engineering in this project and cool to see how he did it.

Doesn't seem too efficient but I don't think that's the point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #2925
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

3. Shimano Sora 11-32T cassette, the bike came with Sora 12-25T which doesn't help someone out of shape with climbing Cassette maybe hard to find, plus depending on age of bike it may require a new rear mech, might have more luck changing your front inner ring.

Any tips? Are parts also in shortage? I haven't been able to find any of the last two while browsing the major local shop websites.
Everything Ktrain said
Old 06-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #2926
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are in Valemount today and boy does the bike park live up to the hype. Amazing trails and amazing views. We were up at 6:00 am to try and beat the heat (it's supposed to hit 39 here this afternoon) and it was well worth it.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #2927
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Well this is disappointing. I was hoping we would have it for the rest of the summer.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban.../covid-19-info

Quote:
Commencing July 1, 2021, the Bow Valley Parkway will provide a variety of opportunities for the 2021 summer season including:

Accessing the Johnston Canyon Trailhead by private vehicle or transit.
Cycling ~17km of the eastern portion of the Parkway with reduced vehicle traffic*.
Scenic driving on ~30km of the western portion of the Parkway from Johnston Canyon to Lake Louise.
Reservable camping at the Johnston Canyon Campground (commencing mid-July).
*Please note that, in July 2021, Parks Canada will engage with the public, Indigenous groups, user groups, and stakeholders, to seek their review and input on a variety of options for future road cycling opportunities on the 17km eastern portion of the Bow Valley Parkway. You will receive a separate notice seeking your participation in July.
I wonder what "reduced vehicle traffic" means?
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #2928
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that really sucks. Had july 5th booked off for doing it. Im guessing reduced traffic means squat.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #2929
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bogus. Way to overpromise and underdeliver, Parks Canada.

Probably too many people whining about not being able to get to Johnston Canyon.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #2930
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

Probably too many people whining about not being able to get to Johnston Canyon.
It’s tough to lose that campground so at a minimum you need to allow campground traffic. The question is how.

I see a few options. My favourite would be campground, lodge traffic and transit only and close the parking lot and JC one way travel on the 1A from Banff to Lake Louise with people traveling from Ll to Banff having to take the number 1.
I’d also close it from Sept 30 - May 30 giving a month on each end of the season for awesome cycling opportunities.

From looking at these proposals say seem to be discounting the 6km family bike ride from Castle to JC. If Banff is serious about Transit then making one of its most popular destinations transit only would be a good place to start
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #2931
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So the news about the BVP sucks, but it is still a great ride and hopefully the vehicle traffic is still light.

But good news, you can do that amazing ride and get rewarded with a free beer and T shirt at Lake Louise.
https://www.skilouise.com/things-to-do/parkway-to-pint/

Only problem I see is after a few beers and a big eat, I’m not sure how motivated I’ll be for the 58km ride back.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:16 AM   #2932
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

But people can drive up from the west side of the parkway by Castle Junction.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #2933
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But people can drive up from the west side of the parkway by Castle Junction.
Which sucks because it ruins the family bike ride option that was probably more used than the road biker section.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #2934
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

absolutely pristine morning out there today (tuesday). it was so hard for me to turn around and start heading home to get to work.

i usually try and ride as fast as i can; however, this morning i felt like i dialled it back a bit, just to savour the ride a little more
Old 06-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #2935
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did a big circle north up to Beddington, west over Nose hill, south through Varsity and Bowness and back east along Memorial (~50k) but with the heat I was more tired than some much much longer rides I did last year. The temps are just stifling.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #2936
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
absolutely pristine morning out there today (tuesday). it was so hard for me to turn around and start heading home to get to work.

i usually try and ride as fast as i can; however, this morning i felt like i dialled it back a bit, just to savour the ride a little more
Yeah, I went down to the Granary Road/Nepal area for an early 30km. It was still warm but tough to beat watching the sun rise on a ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #2937
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i've been debating whether or not to get a road bike this year, or wait til next year when all the biking hype from the pandemic dies down. used bikes on Kijiji seem to be quite overpriced, but will still sell.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #2938
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's donkey #### they are opening the parkway to traffic. It's ridiculously busy with families and groups, rentals, tourists...it won't work sharing with vehicles. There isn't much of a shoulder. Someone will get killed. Morons. Can we ever have a government give people what they want?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #2939
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that Parks Canada’s jurisdiction or Provincial? Seems to me, if Parks Canada wanted to keep it closed to cars, they could.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #2940
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Rode Goat Creek to Banff then legacy home today before it got smokin hot. Such an enjoyable loop.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: