Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #2901
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

How long of a ride is it? Km and time wise?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #2902
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
How long of a ride is it? Km and time wise?
Just under 20km to the summit from the north gate (~2hrs round trip)
Closer to 40km from the south (3-5 hrs round trip)
Or do gate to gate with a shuttle, or gate to gate to gate (120km)!

North is much easier, and is a straight shot down. South has lovely rollers and is more scenic but takes much longer.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #2903
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Avoided Highwood today as I figured it would be super busy.
Did Canmore to Louise and back today instead and it was pretty quiet, nice and cool, great day.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #2904
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How are people watching the tour de france in Calgary? Is it on TV, or is there a subscription available?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #2905
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Avoided Highwood today as I figured it would be super busy.
Did Canmore to Louise and back today instead and it was pretty quiet, nice and cool, great day.
While I can appreciate your thinking and I generally dislike crowds as well, I can do the BVP all summer, whereas the Highwood isn’t nearly as pleasant once it’s open to traffic.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #2906
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
While I can appreciate your thinking and I generally dislike crowds as well, I can do the BVP all summer, whereas the Highwood isn’t nearly as pleasant once it’s open to traffic.
Fair enough, Highwood just isn’t a favourite ride of mine, I’m just being a Debbie downer
Old 06-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #2907
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
How are people watching the tour de france in Calgary? Is it on TV, or is there a subscription available?
I have a Flobikes subscription. As far as I’ve heard, it’s the only legal way to get the Tour in Canada.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #2908
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

remeber the good old days when the TDF used to be on OLN/TSN/SN with Phill L and Bob Roll?

Terrific morning out there today - 17 at 5.45am am. I took a nice spin in the Bow Bottom Flats area of fFish Creek. Nice to have access to 20k of single track and ride form the house.....
Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #2909
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
remeber the good old days when the TDF used to be on OLN/TSN/SN with Phill L and Bob Roll?

Terrific morning out there today - 17 at 5.45am am. I took a nice spin in the Bow Bottom Flats area of fFish Creek. Nice to have access to 20k of single track and ride form the house.....
Loved watching on oln. Actually looked forward to it. But not enough to pay to stream it now. I assume this is only a canadian thing as the audience here would be quite small.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #2910
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highwood was great this weekend. A mama and 3 grizzly cubs crossed the road in front of me and a black bear decided to come down and say hi later in the ride. Great day!!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #2911
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

There are always a few live "tickers" or live written updates. Of course that's not the real thing as we like to watch the exciting stages as well as to see France's countryside. For the not-so-"official" (aka grey area) live feeds you can usually find something on either Steephillcycling or Tiz-cycling... **HOWEVER** be warned not to click on adverts or obviously sketchy seeming links. It's pretty obvious. Maybe I'm naive, but watching on a iphone or tablet seems to be a little easier at times in terms of avoiding the sketchy stuff.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #2912
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been down to Waterton for cycling but I'm thinking about going during the Canada Day long weekend. Are there are any easy, relatively flat roads/trails down there that are similar to Legacy Trail in Banff?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #2913
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've never been down to Waterton for cycling but I'm thinking about going during the Canada Day long weekend. Are there are any easy, relatively flat roads/trails down there that are similar to Legacy Trail in Banff?
Park gate to townsite is similar to legacy in difficulty but much shorter 7km and is separated from the road.

Red Rock Canyon and Akimina parkway are active roadways without shoulders about 20km each with more elevation. I think 50 km posted limits similar to biking 1A when it’s opened. I can’t remember if the elevations are bad or not. Both are down hill on the way out so that helps.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #2914
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tow post work spin out to chestermere this afternoon. It was unusually humid out there.

The canal pathway under glenmore was full of water....close to the BB on my gravel grinder
Old 06-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #2915
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Park gate to townsite is similar to legacy in difficulty but much shorter 7km and is separated from the road.

Red Rock Canyon and Akimina parkway are active roadways without shoulders about 20km each with more elevation. I think 50 km posted limits similar to biking 1A when it’s opened. I can’t remember if the elevations are bad or not. Both are down hill on the way out so that helps.
Cool, we'll do gate to townsite and see where we can go from there. The kids will be riding so the narrow roads probably are not a good idea as they aren't very smart or aware riders.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #2916
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Last year Red Rock Canyon was closed to cars Wednesday mornings. I'm not sure if that's the case this year though. It's a beautiful ride if you get a chance. Even without the closure, riding it during the week wouldn't be too bad. They rent ebikes in town as well to help with some of the hills.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #2917
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My gf and I start our cycling trip tonight. We'll be driving to each stop and doing some road or mountain biking once we arrive. I am not sure how much biking will actually happen because of this heat. We arrive in Kelowna on the 29th to daytime highs of 42! If any CP'ers are along our route (Hinton-Valemount-Kelowna-Cranbrook-Fernie-Waterton) and want to meet up for a ride, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what dates we'll be there.

stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #2918
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cool, we'll do gate to townsite and see where we can go from there. The kids will be riding so the narrow roads probably are not a good idea as they aren't very smart or aware riders.
Also bring bear spray and make noise as there are often bears along that section of the road. (Not trying to scare you and really it’s just normal precautions required but I see way more bears in Waterton than Banff)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #2919
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my roadwork in first thing this morning, I was grumbling to myself about the early morning wind; however, it is a lot stiffer this afternoon. But it is not bothering me as I sit on my deck
Old 06-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #2920
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, about 80% of the peloton crashed in the very first stage of the tour de france today, thanks to a nimrod fan/protestor? Froome involved in a second crash later on and might be done already because of it.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 06-26-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post: