Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #2841
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Garmin Varia is on sale at Sporting Life and Visions - $60 off

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/spor...99-99-2466434/
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #2842
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Bibs are all I wear, they're by far the most comfortable shorts.
My wife calls them my girdle. Bib shorts, while super comfortable, also have the added benefit of helping to tuck in the effects of all the beer I drink.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #2843
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I was just coming up the quarry trail below shaganappi golf course and came around a blind corner to a moose standing in the middle of the trail! Full stop! It was about 60ft from me before he turned and trotted up the trail. I waited a minute or so before slowly going around the next corner to see what it decided to do. When I could see down the trail again it had darted off into the bush. I could hear it crashing along upslope of me but couldn’t see it anymore. I then booked it out of there and gave the heads up to anybody I saw descending the trail.

Had my heart racing for the next little while.

/cool story bro

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #2844
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ a few years ago i was riding to work at a little after 6am. it was that time of year when it was dark out already. I started the downhill by the baseball diamonds in douglasdale, when i notice a flashing red light in a really odd location.

i slow down and come across another rider picking himself up. Seems some deer darted in front of him with short notice. I then turn my head and see deer loitering in the tress just off the trail. Other rider said he was fine, so i carried on, although i rode a little slower until i got out of the river valley
Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #2845
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Garmin Varia is on sale at Sporting Life and Visions - $60 off

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/spor...99-99-2466434/
wow, when i bought mine i got a real bro price at the bike shop and it was a around $215 (i usually get about 20% off there; however, there are sometimes exceptions)
Old 06-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #2846
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My wife calls them my girdle. Bib shorts, while super comfortable, also have the added benefit of helping to tuck in the effects of all the beer I drink.
I need a better girdle, lol
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #2847
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I was just coming up the quarry trail below shaganappi golf course and came around a blind corner to a moose standing in the middle of the trail! Full stop! It was about 60ft from me before he turned and trotted up the trail. I waited a minute or so before slowly going around the next corner to see what it decided to do. When I could see down the trail again it had darted off into the bush. I could hear it crashing along upslope of me but couldn’t see it anymore. I then booked it out of there and gave the heads up to anybody I saw descending the trail.

Had my heart racing for the next little while.

/cool story bro
There was a moose crossing the river right in that area a couple nights ago when I was biking by. Likely the same one I reckon.

/cool addition bro
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #2848
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw two different female moose on a gravel ride a few weeks ago, that was a treat!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #2849
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just a heads up, the Highwood pass is closed to traffic until the 15th, and it is now clear of snow to the summit. I rode it gate to gate to gate today, and didn’t even get a wheel wet.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #2850
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Up NW Calgary, Silver Springs Blvd heading SE bound now has a new bike lane instead of being 2 lane. Works great except the red barriers placed here and there. Yet it's one of the roadways that I've seen the LEAST number of riders on, and since it's also rarely even busy for vehicles it was so so easy to "share" the dual lanes anyways. Great intent and effort, but mostly a waste of money IMO.... and usually I'm the guy that cheers these initiatives!!!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #2851
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Up NW Calgary, Silver Springs Blvd heading SE bound now has a new bike lane instead of being 2 lane. Works great except the red barriers placed here and there. Yet it's one of the roadways that I've seen the LEAST number of riders on, and since it's also rarely even busy for vehicles it was so so easy to "share" the dual lanes anyways. Great intent and effort, but mostly a waste of money IMO.... and usually I'm the guy that cheers these initiatives!!!
I'm not super familiar with the area, but will it facilitate a safer way for kids to ride to the two schools along the boulevard? Does it run all the along the boulevard also opening up the opportunity to hit that little strip mall by Nose Hill Drive?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #2852
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm not super familiar with the area, but will it facilitate a safer way for kids to ride to the two schools along the boulevard? Does it run all the along the boulevard also opening up the opportunity to hit that little strip mall by Nose Hill Drive?
It does, it runs from the top of the hill by Nose Hill Drive all the way to theparking lot on the Silver Springs ridge.
M*A*S*H 4077 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #2853
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
It does, it runs from the top of the hill by Nose Hill Drive all the way to theparking lot on the Silver Springs ridge.

That's great to hear, hopefully it induces more to try out a bike to get to school and run errands.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #2854
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had my first ride in bibs yesterday, and I think I really like them. They will for sure be nice in the winter as they will keep the small of the back always covered. I will reserve final judgement until I ride with a hip pack on.

Was washing my math bike yesterday and noted the bottom bracket is pooched. The bike was specked with an xtr level BB, so after about 2k on the bike that was bought last year, it is disappointing. Fortunately the bike shop has the part and they can install it on short notice.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #2855
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's great to hear, hopefully it induces more to try out a bike to get to school and run errands.
I only noticed it on the downhill portion plus there were no obvious exit ramps/allowances to get off at or near the schools.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #2856
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

New bike day been delayed a couple times now and Im starting to get anxious, thinking some catastrophe awaits and it isn’t gonna happen.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #2857
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
New bike day been delayed a couple times now and Im starting to get anxious, thinking some catastrophe awaits and it isn’t gonna happen.
Could happen unfortunately. I have a customer who put a deposit on a bike in September. It was suppose to be here in October then pushed to February then may now not till next spring.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #2858
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Could happen unfortunately. I have a customer who put a deposit on a bike in September. It was suppose to be here in October then pushed to February then may now not till next spring.

Got a riding buddy who was supposed to get his new ride earlier this spring and now not until Fall (and already sold their original ride). Another buddy's delivery pushed from May to July. Another guy I know the bike got LOST in transit from USA to Canada. And yet another bud who got his last month... about a month earlier than expected. So yeah it's a real sh*t show.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #2859
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am feeling I bought my ride just in time, bikes are way cheaper second hand in Seattle than they are in Vancouver anyway and now the prices are creeping up there as well.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #2860
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My wife is looking to get an ebike for commuting to work. It would be around 20km one way. We're looking to keep the budget under $3000. Any suggestions on something in this price point? I know supply is going to be an issue but she's a teacher so only a couple weeks left in this year so likely won't be starting to commute till the fall.

Is the Velec brand one to avoid? They seem to be the most readily available at this time.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-06-2021 at 02:21 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote