Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2023, 03:40 PM   #2841
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Making good use out of them I suppose. Doesn't leave much margin for an on time departure though if the inbound is running late from LAX with a 17:18 arrival time. And they need an airframe available in the morning, the westbound transatlantic inbounds would all be airborne at that time. But obviously they have one available, it's not like they are getting any more. Wonder if this means the YYZ turn is gone?
1730 is plenty of margin, this past summer they turned WS669 YYZ-YYC arriving at 1830 into WS18 YYC-LHR out at 2040... so if this is running instead of the YYZ turn they have room to turn it to LHR but not CDG.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:03 PM   #2842
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
1730 is plenty of margin, this past summer they turned WS669 YYZ-YYC arriving at 1830 into WS18 YYC-LHR out at 2040... so if this is running instead of the YYZ turn they have room to turn it to LHR but not CDG.
But that must mean they have two frames serving those routes as Lubicon suggested, right?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #2843
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
But that must mean they have two frames serving those routes as Lubicon suggested, right?
Correct. They already pulled LAX from the schedule so this is moot, but yes it would take 2.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #2844
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Porter is adding YUL-YYC starting May 28th. Daily flights.

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/abou...routes+2023+12
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 08:57 AM   #2845
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As posted in the YYC Travel thread just now, WestJet is adding Seoul for summer season 2024!

3x weekly flights.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...8hMPFCvHYpBoRY
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM   #2846
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

United starting up LAX-YYC.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1752906495044325872
Old 02-01-2024, 09:12 AM   #2847
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Makes sense with AC exiting the market. United has made some nice improvements in the Canadian market this past week.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:26 PM   #2848
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad United is still a totally #### airline.

Don't fly United.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #2849
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd much rather fly UA to LAX than WestJet. I hate flying WestJet with a passion and everything about their entire existence. LA is the only place I go, and now I can use Aeroplan to get there nonstop. Huge win.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 08:48 PM   #2850
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd much rather fly UA to LAX than WestJet. I hate flying WestJet with a passion and everything about their entire existence. LA is the only place I go, and now I can use Aeroplan to get there nonstop. Huge win.
I'll take the WestJet flexibility of two or three or more flights per day vs one flight option with UA especially when it is at 7am.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:37 AM   #2851
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

To each his own. The single UA flight is timed better than all of the WS flights. The transborder lounge is a zoo at 0930. The UA flight gets you there sooner and back later on the last day of your trip. Just by virtue of being an adult and having a credit card, the UA flight pays for itself versus WestJet's nonexistent joke of an FF program.

To each his own.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:36 AM   #2852
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To each his own. The single UA flight is timed better than all of the WS flights. The transborder lounge is a zoo at 0930. The UA flight gets you there sooner and back later on the last day of your trip. Just by virtue of being an adult and having a credit card, the UA flight pays for itself versus WestJet's nonexistent joke of an FF program.

To each his own.
Interesting to me they did a rest over night at YYC. I agree that's a premium schedule, although it's a little early/late for me. 7AM departure means I'd have to be awake by 5AM at the latest, and probably more like 4:45, which is pretty early. Even 8AM would make a big difference on my willingness to book it, but obviously that adds wasted to to the airplane.

Same thing on the other end - arriving at YYC at 11:30 means I'm probably not sleeping until at least 1AM, which makes the next day harder than it needs to be.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 10:27 AM   #2853
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
True, Westjet is also garbage. After all, they fly those awful B737 Maxes...
Old 02-02-2024, 11:43 AM   #2854
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I like the Westjet 9:30 AM departure. A bit busier with security (I use the Westjet mastercard for priority line if needed), and I get to sleep to a regular time.

But really, if I'm going to socal SNA is by far my first choice. If you think YYC is bad at during the rush LAX is a special kind of hell pretty much all the time.

And I'm pretty far from a westjet apologist - was AC elite for a long time, but they've basically given up here so the additional inconvenience/connections that would require isn't worth it to me any more.

Given the amount of basic/westjet dollars flights I book I'll never get WS status, but that doesn't matter because it isn't very good anyway. Free bags/priority security line/internet with the credit card covers most of it, and traveling with kids you get free seat selection anyway even on basic. So I just book whoever is cheapest/most convenient for an individual trip. Last couple of years that has almost always been westjet, with the occasional AC/flair/delta mixed in.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #2855
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Too bad United is still a totally #### airline.

Don't fly United.
While I don't fly a lot I've never had a bad experience with United. It's been a long time since I have flown Delta or American but they were no better. And Denver has to be one of the best connecting airports I have been through.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:25 PM   #2856
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

To each his own.
Curious what don't you like about WestJet?

I actually found the WestJet loyalty program pretty great. Had Platinum for a while and got upgraded on every flight, even if it was just to premium economy. Meanwhile my 50k AC status (which was significantly harder to get) got me only 1 upgrade and I found the Aeroplan miles to be pretty hard to redeem and use.

I also generally find most airport lounges extremely overrated.

For me, the differentiating factors for airlines is how often flights land on time and price.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #2857
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
While I don't fly a lot I've never had a bad experience with United. It's been a long time since I have flown Delta or American but they were no better. And Denver has to be one of the best connecting airports I have been through.
I've had the best experience with United. They helped at check-in, gave me a preferred seat for my struggles (issue was upgrades on Air Canada flights subsequent to my United flight and the system getting confused). Then they I trounced me to the amazingness that is the stroopwaffle.

+1 for United.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #2858
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Once United phased out Channel 9, they were dead to me.
IYKYK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 01:36 PM   #2859
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I've had the best experience with United. They helped at check-in, gave me a preferred seat for my struggles (issue was upgrades on Air Canada flights subsequent to my United flight and the system getting confused). Then they I trounced me to the amazingness that is the stroopwaffle.

+1 for United.
We've had this discussion before, Maritime Q-Scout...

Spoiler!

Screw the damned stroopwafel.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2024, 02:52 PM   #2860
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Curious what don't you like about WestJet?

I actually found the WestJet loyalty program pretty great. Had Platinum for a while and got upgraded on every flight, even if it was just to premium economy. Meanwhile my 50k AC status (which was significantly harder to get) got me only 1 upgrade and I found the Aeroplan miles to be pretty hard to redeem and use.

I also generally find most airport lounges extremely overrated.

For me, the differentiating factors for airlines is how often flights land on time and price.
If you have a flight later in the day, like when you might be returning from your trip, they are usually late.

Then to top that off, they never get the luggage off loaded in time. I picked up my sister 2 weeks ago, flying to Calgary from San Diego I think, maybe San Francisco...does not matter.

The flight was 20 minutes late, so instead of landing at 6:10 pm, it landed at 6:30 pm. That is not too bad.

However, she never got her luggage until 8:10 pm. That is bloody ridiculous...and I was waiting in the cell phone lot the whole time.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc