Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 11:09 AM   #2841
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Will be interesting to see if flamesfever will present other evidence to support the view that new immigrants reliably vote Liberal.

Either he presents the support or he forgets about this discussion. Then 4ish months down the line, he'll repeat saying that immigrants vote Liberal. Then at that time, Fuzz must show infinite patience and copy paste his response from today.

Eta: flamesfever admits his biased thinking. Will be change these opinions. Who knows?

Eta2: the second thing that flamesfever brought up is interesting. The 'wealth effect', if beneficial to Canadians, will not stop when PP comes into power. IMO he'll keep immigration numbers high. Either that or expect the PPC to come into power to significantly curtail immigration.
Y'know the worst part of flamesfever's stupid diatribe about how "[the Liberals are bribing] our mayor and council to #### up our zoning regulations to fix the problem they created"?

Here's the Conservative strategy (https://www.conservative.ca/building...bureaucracy/):
The Building Homes Not Bureaucracy Act Will:
  • Require big, unaffordable cities to build more homes and speed up the rate at which they build homes every year to meet our housing targets. Cities must increase the number of homes built by 15% each year and then 15% on top of the previous target every single year (it compounds). If targets are missed, cities will have to catch up in the following years and build even more homes, or a percentage of their federal funding will be withheld, equivalent to the percentage they missed their target by. Municipalities can be added if the region that they are a part of meets these criteria.
  • Reward big cities that are removing gatekeepers and getting homes built by providing a building bonus for municipalities that exceed a 15% increase in housing completions, proportional to the degree to which they exceed this target.
  • Withhold transit and infrastructure funding from cities until sufficient high-density housing around transit stations is built and occupied. Cities will not receive money for transit until there are keys-in-doors.
  • Impose a NIMBY penalty on big city gatekeepers for egregious cases of NIMBYism. We will empower Canadians to file complaints about NIMBYism with the federal infrastructure department. When complaints are legitimate, we will withhold infrastructure and transit dollars until cities allow homes to be built.
Anyone thinking that Calgary can conceivably hit 15% increases in home-building year-after-year without something like the "blanket rezoning" being talked about here is delusional.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #2842
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Two reasons:

2. One of the main reasons the Liberals won the last election was because of the "wealth effect". The demand by immigrants helps to keep house prices rising, which makes homeowners feeling like they are getting ahead.

just my usual biased thinking
I thought it was Canadians seeing how Conservative provinces were run and how they handled COVID, coupled with running Sheer and O'Toole who were both pretty weak candidates.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:22 AM   #2843
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, I’m not a moderator and please do. Or just plain delete your account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Looks like we’ve got ourselves a full blown CP scandal

/sarcasm
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:31 AM   #2844
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slava with the special powers he didn't even know he had. So much lost opportunity.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:38 AM   #2845
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick, Slava! Turn off the swear filter, you ####!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:59 AM   #2846
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Most infills I see in old neighborhoods are monstrous three story tall skinny mansions.
Depends on where you go. There's an infill across the alley and about five doors down from my house up for sale, and it's just a single detached house. It's two storeys, about 3,000 sq ft, with detached three-car garage, and asking price is about two million dollars.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:53 PM   #2847
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Slava with the special powers he didn't even know he had. So much lost opportunity.
I’m willing to give Slava the benefit of the doubt that he may have been given mod privileges and not actually known about it, for no reason other than the fact that I’m pretty confident he would have banned me by now if he had known he could of.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 12:56 PM   #2848
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was slava ever a sponsor? Probably had mod privs for just that section if so. That's the only thing I can think of
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #2849
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I’m willing to give Slava the benefit of the doubt that he may have been given mod privileges and not actually known about it, for no reason other than the fact that I’m pretty confident he would have banned me by now if he had known he could of.
You should be banned just for this.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:21 PM   #2850
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Nah, I wouldn't ban anyone and would rather watch the chaos and conflict anyway. I don't even put people on ignore, so there is no way that I'm banning anyone, lol.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #2851
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But he’s dangling his participle right in front of you!
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 03:13 PM   #2852
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Y'know the worst part of flamesfever's stupid diatribe about how "[the Liberals are bribing] our mayor and council to #### up our zoning regulations to fix the problem they created"?

Here's the Conservative strategy (https://www.conservative.ca/building...bureaucracy/):
  • Require big, unaffordable cities to build more homes and speed up the rate at which they build homes every year to meet our housing targets. Cities must increase the number of homes built by 15% each year and then 15% on top of the previous target every single year (it compounds). If targets are missed, cities will have to catch up in the following years and build even more homes, or a percentage of their federal funding will be withheld, equivalent to the percentage they missed their target by. Municipalities can be added if the region that they are a part of meets these criteria.
  • Reward big cities that are removing gatekeepers and getting homes built by providing a building bonus for municipalities that exceed a 15% increase in housing completions, proportional to the degree to which they exceed this target.
  • Withhold transit and infrastructure funding from cities until sufficient high-density housing around transit stations is built and occupied. Cities will not receive money for transit until there are keys-in-doors.
  • Impose a NIMBY penalty on big city gatekeepers for egregious cases of NIMBYism. We will empower Canadians to file complaints about NIMBYism with the federal infrastructure department. When complaints are legitimate, we will withhold infrastructure and transit dollars until cities allow homes to be built.
Anyone thinking that Calgary can conceivably hit 15% increases in home-building year-after-year without something like the "blanket rezoning" being talked about here is delusional.
Who do people think the gatekeepers are here?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:17 PM   #2853
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Laurentian Elites, of course.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:27 PM   #2854
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Those darn pesky liberal local politicians who won't give developers carte blanche. Without them, we'd have allll the housing starts we need.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #2855
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Oof, imagine your NIMBYism being so lame and out of touch that all three of the Liberals, NDP, and Conservatives are like, “Nah, #### that guy.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 03:55 PM   #2856
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Laurentian Elites, of course.
They need to make cigarettes called Laurentian Elites. Actually cigars would be better.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 04:04 PM   #2857
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Oof, imagine your NIMBYism being so lame and out of touch that all three of the Liberals, NDP, and Conservatives are like, “Nah, #### that guy.”
Then you get out of Dodge, and move to a small town.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:09 PM   #2858
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Was slava ever a sponsor? Probably had mod privs for just that section if so. That's the only thing I can think of
I suspect it is this. Slava used to have a sponsored sub-forum. I imagine that rather than delete that forum the admin simply moved it to a non public area in case he wants to sponsor it again it's ready to go. Slava probably has mod privileges in that forum.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 PM   #2859
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I suspect it is this. Slava used to have a sponsored sub-forum. I imagine that rather than delete that forum the admin simply moved it to a non public area in case he wants to sponsor it again it's ready to go. Slava probably has mod privileges in that forum.
Okay so I'm not crazy, I thought he was.

Yeah that's almost definitely what's up
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 04:20 PM   #2860
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Construction will reduce 4th Avenue flyover to single lane for 18 months April 2nd - CGY Herald

I don't commute from that side, will this be pretty ugly for them?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote