Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #2821
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Early morning early-season MTB rides on Nosehill (plus the to/from) are great. Grass is still down low, lots of greenery, lots flow areas, lots of great climbs up through valleys and trees, and with the light breeze nada bugs this morning. Plus came across a few walkers/hikers that were all in good moods with friendly hello's and "have a great day!" comments.
Early Season? I've been riding up there since March!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #2822
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm driving out to Highwood pass with a couple road bikers but was going to take my mountain bike. Is anyone aware of any decent trails in the area that I can kill an hour or two with?

I know High Rockies is accessible out there, as is the Elk Pass Trail. I assume both are pretty tame? Does High Rockies have any fun sections? Anything else out there?

YES Highwood pass from K-country as an out-and-back to the suspension bridge is a lot of fun. Of course you can go further. A fair bit of punchy climbing and it's mostly in the trees, but I had a real blast on it last year. It's twisty and turny enough that it's harder as you go faster, so great for all ability levels. I do however suggest avoiding peak times especially on weekends as the bridge area gets stupid with walkers.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #2823
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
YES Highwood pass from K-country as an out-and-back to the suspension bridge is a lot of fun.
Do you mean High Rockies by chance? My googling is coming up dry. If you don't mind throwing me the name of the trail head and direction that would be super helpful so I don't get this wrong.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #2824
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Early Season? I've been riding up there since March!
Heh heh... fairly enough... for most people May is "early season". I consider May (ok, yeah 1st June... close enough) to be early for most as they're re-building their skills and fitness unlike us year-rounders. "Summer riding" for me is usually mid-June to end August, then Fall is Sept onward until MTB trails suck for the non-fatties.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #2825
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I can be out in shorts and a shirt, it's summer riding. I don't care if it's March, July, or October!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #2826
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Do you mean High Rockies by chance? My googling is coming up dry. If you don't mind throwing me the name of the trail head and direction that would be super helpful so I don't get this wrong.
my oops indeed.... yes High Rockies.
Yes you can park at "Peninsula"... and if not there then close by or across the big lake outflow area (whatever that campground is called). If you zoom in enough just across the water outflow you can see a loop there. Also what is NOT shown is a great singletrack along the east side of the lake south too.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/hi...-to-peninsula/
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #2827
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I'm pretty new to cycling this spring/summer and bought a cheap mountain bike to tour around the neighborhood pathways with while I got used to it, more comfortable, ensuring I like it, etc.

I'm noticing the tires are starting to wear out, and am thinking of swapping them out for road/hybrid/slick tires. I'm finding a number of them online, but not entirely sure on the dimensions and what matters.

The bike currently has 27.5" x 1.95" tires. The 27.5 obviously matters, but is there much grace on the width if I find a 1.9" or 2.2" tire? Would the existing tube still work?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #2828
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I'm pretty new to cycling this spring/summer and bought a cheap mountain bike to tour around the neighborhood pathways with while I got used to it, more comfortable, ensuring I like it, etc.

I'm noticing the tires are starting to wear out, and am thinking of swapping them out for road/hybrid/slick tires. I'm finding a number of them online, but not entirely sure on the dimensions and what matters.

The bike currently has 27.5" x 1.95" tires. The 27.5 obviously matters, but is there much grace on the width if I find a 1.9" or 2.2" tire? Would the existing tube still work?

Yes you need the same diameter tire. Now there are 650b and also 650c tires as well... don't assume your MTB rim will fit either/both of these. If you're considering these then I'd suggest talking with your LBS.

For width... look at how much room you have on either side of the tire when it's on your fork. Honestly if it fits 1.95 then 2.2 should be fine... but 2.2 will likely roll slower and be heavier unless you go higher end. What is it that you're hoping to gain by going wider? And yes likely the tube will also work... one the tire is off you can see the print on the tube that gives the range.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #2829
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Yes you need the same diameter tire. Now there are 650b and also 650c tires as well... don't assume your MTB rim will fit either/both of these. If you're considering these then I'd suggest talking with your LBS.

For width... look at how much room you have on either side of the tire when it's on your fork. Honestly if it fits 1.95 then 2.2 should be fine... but 2.2 will likely roll slower and be heavier unless you go higher end. What is it that you're hoping to gain by going wider? And yes likely the tube will also work... one the tire is off you can see the print on the tube that gives the range.
Thanks! Not specifically looking for a wider tire, but more looking at what's available/within an appropriate price range, and if that would work. Found one that is the right 27.5" diameter and 2.00" width, so hopefully with the better tread pattern, will have a smoother/little bit faster ride around the NW Calgary suburbs!
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #2830
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are just cruising pathways, don't be afraid to aim for the high end of the PSI range.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #2831
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you are just cruising pathways, don't be afraid to aim for the high end of the PSI range.
Absolutely true. It's amazing how many people I see riding along on soggy bouncy tires and I cringe every time they hit a curb or even raised sidewalk/driveway crack.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #2832
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Anyone in the market for some shoes? Quoc was supposed to send me some, but instead sent me a pair of these in UK 9.5 / EU 43.5:

https://quoc.cc/collections/night-mo...27853471416343

They cost $460 plus shipping plus import fees plus whatever. I'm waiting to hear what Quoc is going to do for me but if they don't give me a satisfactory resolution I might just try selling them to make back the ~$300 I spent on the shoes I was supposed to get.
I'm just pulling this back up because I realized I still have these. Brand new, shoot me an offer if they'd work for you. Probably will end up posting on Kijiji too.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #2833
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just got a couple of cycling related goodies delivered:

got a better mount than that crummy stock one that came with my varia. i ordered it from bow cycle which was the cheapest place i could find it. amazon and ebay eitehr wanted $50 or so for it, or long delviery time. i got the item delivered from Bow to my place deep in the SE for $10. it would easily be a 70 min round trip to drive there. $10 weell spent

also got a care package from jenson that inlcued new gloves, my first pair of bib shorts (my wife was lauging as i modelled them - she mentioned something about borat) and a couple of bike storage hooks from park tool. i wanted thse hooks because they are machine thread and in my garage i recently installed some track with moints on wheels to allow ke to move my bikes a bit as i am taking them out. I will post a picture when i get this dialled in.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #2834
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I rolled over 600kms this morning!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #2835
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im surprisingly over 1000km already. Only did 2300 all of last summer, so on my way to a good year. I am basically doing 5-6 days a week. Mostly 5am rides for probably 75-90 minutes (early morning is only way I can cycle consistently since I have very young kids) and one longer afternoon ride on the weekend.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #2836
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
just got a couple of cycling related goodies delivered:

got a better mount than that crummy stock one that came with my varia. i ordered it from bow cycle which was the cheapest place i could find it. amazon and ebay eitehr wanted $50 or so for it, or long delviery time. i got the item delivered from Bow to my place deep in the SE for $10. it would easily be a 70 min round trip to drive there. $10 weell spent

also got a care package from jenson that inlcued new gloves, my first pair of bib shorts (my wife was lauging as i modelled them - she mentioned something about borat) and a couple of bike storage hooks from park tool. i wanted thse hooks because they are machine thread and in my garage i recently installed some track with moints on wheels to allow ke to move my bikes a bit as i am taking them out. I will post a picture when i get this dialled in.
I'm ok with my Varia mount, but it's not great for sure. Seems a bit too wiggly. I'm sure it's very stable and secure (or at least has been for over 2 years). I'm assuming you go the fixed version?
https://www.bowcycle.com/product/gar...t-244045-1.htm

A good pair of comfy bib shorts... will still always feel a bit like a diaper the first few times when waltzing around at home but are great on a bike. Don't forget that a little lube goes a long ways... myself and a few buddies all swear by this stuff (and no, we don't share.. .everyone has their own tube!!)
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/udderly...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Not sure what's with the price, but it's usually under $4 for the tube and lasts a long long time. Prevents saddle soreness on the contact points and between your shorts and ...er.. kibbles and bits.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #2837
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Northendzone, I was going to ask that too....is that the mount you got? And you like it? The included mount does seem a little sketch for a 300 dollar piece of gear. Single point of failure with the elastic band seems like poor engineering.

When I put my first bibs on last year, it reminded me of 1980’s era professional wrestlers from stampede wrestling. I think I did an Ed Whalen impersonation while my wife and kids laughed at the way I looked. But I do love my bontrager circuit bibs, and am thinking about buying another pair.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #2838
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the mounted linked above is what I got. Mounted it tonight and it is a huge improvement.

As soon as I saw that elastic I was like, yikes. I wonder how much it would change the price of every varia to include a good mount?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #2839
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Northendzone, I was going to ask that too....is that the mount you got? And you like it? The included mount does seem a little sketch for a 300 dollar piece of gear. Single point of failure with the elastic band seems like poor engineering.

When I put my first bibs on last year, it reminded me of 1980’s era professional wrestlers from stampede wrestling. I think I did an Ed Whalen impersonation while my wife and kids laughed at the way I looked. But I do love my bontrager circuit bibs, and am thinking about buying another pair.
Bibs are all I wear, they're by far the most comfortable shorts.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #2840
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya'll want a view of a bizarre show... watch Tour de Pharmacy. Some pretty funny stuff, and some weird. Good cast of characters though. Found it on our Telus for free.

They even mock cycling body-suits (ie full-one piece). Some stuff you can't UN-see though.