Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #261
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Here, trucker crowd, is an example of a worthwhile cause for protest. One is actually brave and heroic.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #262
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think (or hope) China’s leaders recognize that the U.S. has much more at stake in ensuring Taiwan’s independence than Ukraine’s.
Not to mention the what is at stake for South Korea and Japan. Straits around Taiwan account for the bulk of trade/goods traffic to those two countries as do the supply chains that the US/KO/JPN and the world depend on to run their own economies.

I imagine action for Taiwan would be much faster than Ukraine.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #263
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

This is true, and quite pathetic from the US. Our leaders have failed in this regard as well.

It has all contributed to giving Putin more power. We could have done our part to stop that from happening.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1496878244393488387
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #264
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I would propose that barring something truly egregious being posted, we commit to keeping the thread policing to a minimum and leave it to the moderators. There are more important things to talk about in here than minor breaches of decorum or taste.
That's fine by me, you replied to the wrong guy.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #265
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This is true, and quite pathetic from the US. Our leaders have failed in this regard as well.

It has all contributed to giving Putin more power. We could have done our part to stop that from happening.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1496878244393488387
Nevermind
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #266
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
"They should level Moscow"
"Putin is a psychopath"
"The West should invade Russia"
"Putin wants the former Soviet glory"
"Remove Russia from UN Security Council"

The degree and depth of political analysis in this thread is truly impressive.
Please enlighten us with your Hegelian insights into our current stage of history.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #267
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We should be pushing for the completion or Oil and Gas pipelines. Rob Russia of their market share permanently.

Other then that we don't have military options here, maybe except for lending NATO our airlift capability and any other logistical aid.

We can keep pushing sanctions, but Putin doesn't seem to care.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #268
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's no coincidence that all the Trumpist talking heads are all praising Russia and throwing Ukraine under the bus this week as they show they are either knowingly or unknowingly under the political and monetary thumb of Putin and working as Russian agents against their own country.

Trump himself called Putin a genius in an interview the day prior. Candace Owens, Tucker Carlson, Laura Inghram, etc. etc. are all praising Russian, blaming Biden, and denigrating the Ukraine on social media and Fox News.

Russia has effectively executed the KGB playbook of seeding their agents and sowing discord in the west to turn even what was once a bulwark Conservative anti-Russian front of the cold war into fanatical right-wing allies.

At the same time, it's no coincidence that this was timed with internal turmoil inside the US that has been sown via aggressively seeding their agents throughout positions of influence and flooding social media with facebook pages and bots that have convinced many this is in their best interest. The only reason this didn't coincide perfectly with the timing of the US Freedumb Convoy snarling up D.C. is that that American truckers were too incompentent to pull it off.
This is all true or likely true, and super dystopian.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #269
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1496905889697214471
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #270
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenney of course leaves out the part where KXL won't service the US west coast where the majority of those barrels are going.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #271
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Ukraine is getting hammered, lives are being lost, and independence and democracy is at stake. People are fleeing their homes, and the biggest war is happening in Europe in a generation.

And we have people waxing poetic about Keystone XL, including our bumbling petrosexual of a Premier who feels this is the right time to talk about O/G. Pipelines that would take years to complete.

My god.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #272
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Nevermind
Nothing nevermind about it. Consecutive governments going back to before Harper are responsible for this.

Canada should be countering Russian energy with a stable supply of Canadian LNG & oil.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #273
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

This explains why all of Russia government's internet infrastructure and websites are down.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1496903014757580802
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #274
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Kenney of course leaves out the part where KXL won't service the US west coast where the majority of those barrels are going.
I would imagine there would be a ripple effect, though. I don't think he's wrong to point out what has been pointed out by Alberta politicians forever - namely, that demand is demand and you're better off buying from us than from despots.
Quote:
This explains why all of Russia government's internet infrastructure and websites are down.
The problem with this is that the cat's out of the bag, and you'd like to save some of that powder in case it's needed to deal with China, who seem like the global leaders in cyber warfare capability at this point, or will be soon.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #275
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's no mechanism to remove Russia as a permanent member of the security council that I can see. In theory the Un could invoke Article 5 which is suspension of rights, and article 6 which is expulsion of a member from the UN for violation of the charter. However China would veto any action like that as would Russia.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #276
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would imagine there would be a ripple effect, though. I don't think he's wrong to point out what has been pointed out by Alberta politicians forever - namely, that demand is demand and you're better off buying from us than from despots.
TMX would displace those barrels far more than KXL. There is no pipeline into California to move anything going to Cushing. All the west coast refineries get their barrels from tidewater.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #277
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's no mechanism to remove Russia as a permanent member of the security council that I can see. In theory the Un could invoke Article 5 which is suspension of rights, and article 6 which is expulsion of a member from the UN for violation of the charter. However China would veto any action like that as would Russia.
I think I read somewhere that Ukraine made a motion to question the legitimacy of Russia being the successor to the USSR and therefore their legitimacy at being the permanent SC member.

Maybe Ukraine should be the permanent SC member!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #278
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably the most effective and swift action the west can take. I’m still shocked this is happening in this day and age. It’s absolutely horrific and I’m so sad for the Ukrainian people. No one deserves to live in fear like they are right now. I just hope that somehow Putin’s ego has been stroked enough and he stops immediately before further bloodshed. Just sickening.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #279
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's no mechanism to remove Russia as a permanent member of the security council that I can see.
The notion of challenging Russia as the proper successor to the USSR was an interesting one. The reality is there are no fixed rules here - if everyone wants to act like procedures are being properly followed to achieve a results-driven outcome, they can.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #280
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with this is that the cat's out of the bag, and you'd like to save some of that powder in case it's needed to deal with China, who seem like the global leaders in cyber warfare capability at this point, or will be soon.
Except that western nations have been dealing with cyber attacks from Russia and China for many years now, most system should be pretty well hardened. It's standard best practice now for businesses to completely block any access to/from Russia or China IPs, I have no idea how hardened Russian systems are when they have to defend for once
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks