Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #261
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having moved away from Calgary now that the team is becoming a performer makes me sad... yet I am still cautiously optimistic
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #262
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://youtu.be/BBRVTUj-Xew

Didn't see this goal posted here but it's from his 15/16 season, kids got some skill
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #263
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Around the League Report

Spoiler!

Another triumph, of course!!

Still...I'm trying to wrap my head around this particular tidbit...

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 AM   #264
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome news, welcome aboard Spencer!

Looking forward to seeing what he can do in camp.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #265
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody mentions the FOO Shnickens?

That's right Edmonton. F-U.

Also, if the Flames make the playoffs and Spencer Foo is on the team, what would his beard look like?

NSFW!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #266
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Suck it Oilers
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #267
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

can he chuck the knuckles as he could be a fighter? a foo fighter.

I am here all week folks, please try the veal and be kind to the service staff
Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #268
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I started reading this thread (this morning) I had serious flashbacks to the threads when Knight and Morrison signed. I began to have a lot of 'gotta be the expectation police here' kind of reactions to what I was reading

It is a huge jump from the NCAA directly to the NHL. HUGE! Very few do it. Just the elite. And the elite rarely go undrafted. Plus he has had just one exceptional season. The rest were okay.

However as I read on I have mellowed. What's that tag someone has? "If we can't overvalue our 4th liners then the terrorists have won" Something like that anyways. Makes me laugh everytime I see it.

It is an excellent signing of a solid prospect and I look forward to seeing what we got.

Plus the Oiler fan bitterness is so sweet I won't need any dessert tonight.

Put me in the camp that doesn't feel he has been assigned #15. I think the agency provided that jersey to promote themselves in the release and as 15 is his preferred number it was the obvious way to go. The fact that it is an older version of the uniform is clear evidence of this.

Still very happy about this for most of the reasons written beforehand. Just think the 'Always Earned' part of the motto needs more respect.

Last edited by N26; 06-28-2017 at 07:25 AM.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #269
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Reminder that Fan960 has Foo on the air in a few minutes.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the deal with Jim Matheson? Either his sources were clearly wrong or he was going out of his way to not name the Flames as a team in the running for his services.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #271
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

From his Fan interview...

Exciting morning. Not used to that much press. It's about having good teammates, got to play with good players this past season. Over the past five years, has worked hard to get better and make the NHL. Feels he made the right decision and really make an educated decision on where to sign. Was never drafted, but hockey has remained his number one focus regardless. Education Background was in Finance and that's where he likely would have ended up if things didn't work out. Getting his foot in the door by receiving dev camp invites is what kept him feeling like there might be a chance to make it. It's a business and the goal is to make the NHL, not make his hometown team. Pretty cool to be a finalist for the Hobey Baker award. Factors for choosing Calgary were based in Canada, opportunity, team is trending in the right direction. Brad, Conny and Gully sold him on the team. Was really impressed with them. Had a great experience at Dev camp last year and that was probably the biggest factor in him choosing the Flames. Skilled forward that competes hard, knows he needs to earn anything he gets. A lot of guys up front would be exciting to play with, but specifically mentioned Gaudreau and how fun it would be to play with him. Will be at dev camp next week. Bit of uncertainty on where he goes from there.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #272
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
  • Exciting morning. Not used to that much press.
  • It's about having good teammates, got to play with good players this past season.
  • Over the past five years, has worked hard to get better and make the NHL.
  • Feels he made the right decision and really make an educated decision on where to sign.
  • Was never drafted, but hockey has remained his number one focus regardless.
  • Education Background was in Finance and that's where he likely would have ended up if things didn't work out.
  • Getting his foot in the door by receiving dev camp invites is what kept him feeling like there might be a chance to make it.
  • It's a business and the goal is to make the NHL, not make his hometown team.
  • Pretty cool to be a finalist for the Hobey Baker award.
  • Factors for choosing Calgary were based in Canada, opportunity, team is trending in the right direction.
  • Brad, Conny and Gully sold him on the team. Was really impressed with them.
  • Had a great experience at Dev camp last year and that was probably the biggest factor in him choosing the Flames.
  • Skilled forward that competes hard, knows he needs to earn anything he gets.
  • A lot of guys up front would be exciting to play with, but specifically mentioned Gaudreau and how fun it would be to play with him.
  • Will be at dev camp next week. Bit of uncertainty on where he goes from there.
I took the liberty to reformat a little.

Love that the invite was a key factor. It wasn't just about watching his most recent, successful season, but seeing something in the player before he broke out. Great scouting!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #273
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiku View Post
Foo not want to queue
When going to Rogers loo
Bids Oilers adieu

The Flames heart him too
Johnny makes quick call to woo
Conroy preps air crew

Oilers have horseshoe
But sloppy seconds must do
Lotto can’t save you
Easily the best thing I have ever read
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #274
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So what's the deal with Jim Matheson? Either his sources were clearly wrong or he was going out of his way to not name the Flames as a team in the running for his services.
Most likely scenario: He had no sources and was wishfully and delusionally thinking.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #275
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Slightly annoyed with Cjay92 this morning. The host bashed Foo for not choosing his hometown and then went on to say that Edmonton was clearly the better team with the better future.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #276
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #277
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

Exciting morning. Not used to that much press. It's about having good teammates, got to play with good players this past season. Over the past five years, has worked hard to get better and make the NHL. Feels he made the right decision and really make an educated decision on where to sign. Was never drafted, but hockey has remained his number one focus regardless. Education Background was in Finance and that's where he likely would have ended up if things didn't work out. Getting his foot in the door by receiving dev camp invites is what kept him feeling like there might be a chance to make it. It's a business and the goal is to make the NHL, not make his hometown team. Pretty cool to be a finalist for the Hobey Baker award. Factors for choosing Calgary were based in Canada, opportunity, team is trending in the right direction. Brad, Conny and Gully sold him on the team. Was really impressed with them. Had a great experience at Dev camp last year and that was probably the biggest factor in him choosing the Flames. Skilled forward that competes hard, knows he needs to earn anything he gets. A lot of guys up front would be exciting to play with, but specifically mentioned Gaudreau and how fun it would be to play with him. Will be at dev camp next week. Bit of uncertainty on where he goes from there.
I wondered if meeting a bunch of potential future teammates was a big factor. He was stuck on a mini team with a few other undrafted invitees (but his goalie was Parsons which should have made an impression). He would have met Janko, Andersson, Gillies, Kylington, Rittich and Dube, all of whom have a better than even chance of being a Flame. Not to mention Tkachuk, who he would have noticed in camp and then watched make the team off the bat.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #278
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This is one of those signings where you'd love to know the thoughts at the Saddledome. Someone tweeted there were high fives around the dome when the news came in.

Is that standard? Do all signings yield that reaction?

My guess is no, but to what extent is this bigger? Does Treliving see this kid making the team? Or does he just like the addition of an upper tiered prospect on the heels of the Hamonic trade?

Time will tell.

I don't get too jacked about college free agents generally, but I do get that if you sign 6 of them over three years you might get one player that can play in your top 9 and have an above average impact.

I remember Gaudreau (different case, drafted) coming out of college and obsessing over his NHLe and wondering if it would translate (it has). Then he goes to the Worlds and it seemed pretty obvious he wasn't going to the AHL.

I see him Jankowski, Shinkaruk, maybe Poirier, Klimchuk, Mangiapane all battling to force a decision. Don't see more than one of them doing it.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #279
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Slightly annoyed with Cjay92 this morning. The host bashed Foo for not choosing his hometown and then went on to say that Edmonton was clearly the better team with the better future.
people still listen to Cjay?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #280
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This is one of those signings where you'd love to know the thoughts at the Saddledome. Someone tweeted there were high fives around the dome when the news came in.

Is that standard? Do all signings yield that reaction?
We beat Edmonton - it always feels good when you do that at anything be it at baby races, funding announcements, or absence of bruises on legs.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote