Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #261
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found the trick to mudding is using bigger blades. At first I tried to get away with small blades because they seemed easier to manage but in reality the big 10" and 12" blades make it way easier. I was also told the trick of putting pressure on the outside edge of the blade to feather it out better. You can get a surprisingly smooth finish that only needs scraping like this.

Now, accidental over build up of the tape I still struggle with. Especially using paper tape. Too little mud under the tape and it falls off. Too much and you get a ridge that takes some serious feathering and even then you will likely still be left with a ridge you and only you will notice but you'll question your handyman prowess every time you see it.

Long story short, always sub out your mudding.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #262
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Done, except the kitchen which is going to get more work:

Replacing all of the switches, plugs, and coverplates with white. Switches are all decora style. The coverplates were a mixture of brass, oak, and ivory, and all of the switches and pugs were ivory.

Everything looks so much better now.

Next, going to replace a bunch of the light fixtures, getting rid of the brass and old 80s style stuff.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #263
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My only suggestion with light fixtures is to get something that has air circulation to make sure it works well with CFL or LED lights, so avoid ones like this:

I'm finding that the pattern of CFLs that last forever and ones that seem to burn out too fast depends on if it's one of those kind or not.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #264
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
^That's great advice. Until I try and use it. Somewhere between step 2&3 PANIC sets in, and the wall is now a mountain of mud. Somehow, still with low spots that will show after I've sanded it all off again. I suck at this so bad.

Trying to understand how people actually got plaster and lath walls smooth is on the same plane as a firm grasp of quantum physics.
It sounds like you need to jump to step 5 more frequently between the other steps...

On a serious note, mudding is an art form. When I started out in the business, my first thought was "how hard can it be, cover the tape, make it look flat" I can now say, it took years to become efficient at the job.
It's definitely a great skill to have, but knowing how to do it, and doing it right are two entirely different things. reading tips and tricks online, or watching a youtube video is a great way to learn the process, but essentially, it's like picking up a paint brush, and reading a step by step guide on "How to paint the 'Mona Lisa'".
If you're finishing a room in your home that gets lots of traffic, and you're not confident, I'd definitely recommend paying to have it done, but anytime you have a chance to practice, definitely do it yourself, it can be fun, (if you jump to step 5 a lot) and rewarding.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #265
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Two questions.

1. Is there any attractive product that you can put on the exterior of your window to block people from seeing within your house? We've got one window that at certain angles people can see right into the house. A bit awkward at times.

2. Corner lots. Getting a little tired of dogs peeing on my lawn. Thinking about a fence/hedge for the spring. I think extending the fence along the corner is a bit unattractive or uninviting, picket fence, probably just make mowing/weed whacking annoying, or plant a hedge?
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #266
photon

Exp:

1. Blinds? I've seen films that make it like textured glass so it lets in all the light but you can't see anything.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/priv...x-65-ft/983256
Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #267
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
1. Blinds? I've seen films that make it like textured glass so it lets in all the light but you can't see anything.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/priv...x-65-ft/983256
Lol,
Yeah I like seeing outside though. It's actually the window infront of the kitchen sink, so it's used often, but the most visable window to the public. I like being able to see out of it. What I was thinking was some relective peel off, stick on like film, but that seems trashy and I can only imagine something like that would peel and just look gross in short order.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #268
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My only suggestion with light fixtures is to get something that has air circulation to make sure it works well with CFL or LED lights, so avoid ones like this:

I'm finding that the pattern of CFLs that last forever and ones that seem to burn out too fast depends on if it's one of those kind or not.
With CFL and Halogen lights it is important because they glow at substantially higher temperatures than incandescent or LED. LED's generally don't have problems in enclosed spaces like that but the price point makes them a little ridiculous (for right now, give it a year).
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #269
photon

Exp:

Most LEDs they do not recommend putting them into an enclosed fixture, the heat can cause them to fail early and it also accelerates the dimming of the LED over time.

The Phillips ones I have specifically say only for use in open fixtures.

Cree is the one brand I like that warrants their bulbs for use in enclosed fixtures.

http://www.earthled.com/collections/...ed-light-bulbs
Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #270
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Two questions.

1. Is there any attractive product that you can put on the exterior of your window to block people from seeing within your house? We've got one window that at certain angles people can see right into the house. A bit awkward at times.

2. Corner lots. Getting a little tired of dogs peeing on my lawn. Thinking about a fence/hedge for the spring. I think extending the fence along the corner is a bit unattractive or uninviting, picket fence, probably just make mowing/weed whacking annoying, or plant a hedge?
You could give a light filtering blind a try. I have these and you can't see in from a distance, but I can see through it fairly well from inside.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/levo...e-37x72/858099
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #271
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I'm not really a big fan of hedges around the full perimeter. Another option could be putting in a flower bed along the perimeter instead of the hedge and potentially pair it with one of those shorter (18 inches or so) picket fences.

Something similar to this but toned down quite a bit in terms of the flowers:
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #272
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You could give a light filtering blind a try. I have these and you can't see in from a distance, but I can see through it fairly well from inside.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/levo...e-37x72/858099
Thanks, not a bad suggestion but I have 4 windows all along that back with the same curtain/blind setup and a new one wouldn't really look great.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #273
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
With CFL and Halogen lights it is important because they glow at substantially higher temperatures than incandescent or LED. LED's generally don't have problems in enclosed spaces like that but the price point makes them a little ridiculous (for right now, give it a year).
LEDs are incredibly susceptible to heat, so if you don't have an effective way to remove the heat your bulbs will die very fast.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #274
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most LEDs they do not recommend putting them into an enclosed fixture, the heat can cause them to fail early and it also accelerates the dimming of the LED over time.

The Phillips ones I have specifically say only for use in open fixtures.

Cree is the one brand I like that warrants their bulbs for use in enclosed fixtures.

http://www.earthled.com/collections/...ed-light-bulbs
Yes I generally avoid Phillips where possible. GE is a bit better too. If you can find a fixture where they are built in (my outside lights are all LED and enclosed) that is generally the best way to go.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #275
photon

Exp:

Actually I like the Phillips ones, have quite a few of them now. Just not for enclosed fixtures.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #276
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I like the Phillips ones, have quite a few of them now. Just not for enclosed fixtures.
Their products are ok for home use, but on the commercial side where they get used much more frequently I have seen problems with other products. One time I saw the little plastic piece on a 4' fluorescent lamp melt where the 2 prongs are and it cause the light to short out and made a few burn marks on the fixture and lens. Just sways me away from any of their products when so many other options are available.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #277
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Yes I generally avoid Phillips where possible. GE is a bit better too. If you can find a fixture where they are built in (my outside lights are all LED and enclosed) that is generally the best way to go.
If they are actual luminaires that are built for LEDs then you will find some sort of metal fins off the luminaire. The bulb itself will be enclosed, but that's because the fins act as a heat sink and are able to take most of the heat off the junction.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #278
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the LED world I would almost always lean towards CREE rather than the other options. They were THE name in LED before they ever got into luminaires, and now that they've entered that market they're doing really impressive things. They have probably the best Technology executives in the space, and their plant in Wisconsin is top notch.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #279
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have purchased a new samsung fridge. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone who can install the fridge for us?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #280
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ Install in what way? Water hookup?