Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #261
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Well on the surface I agree with you. However I suspect a different scenario.

I suspect that the police received source information that there was a group who possessed a large cash of weapons and ammunition. I suspect that the information was relatively vague and need to be confirmed. I suspect the police used some non-traditional methods (undercover operators) to infiltrate the group. It probably took some time. Then they had to get the requisite judicial authorization.

Again, I don't know if this is true, but if it is, it can take time. Just another side of the coin.
Sure. Disarm them and then arrest them.

We're shaking their hands. It's absurd.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #262
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Best buds. See ya for brunch at the Whistle Stop!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #263
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The restrictions will go away when we can handle it.
That’s all well and good. But who decides when we can handle it, and what criteria do we use? Attaching metrics to the measures would de-politicize the issue.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493620941628268545

Maybe he didn't want to uphold the law, now that the feds are in charge? Adios, you won't be missed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #265
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if posted or not..

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493417437311606786
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #266
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That’s all well and good. But who decides when we can handle it, and what criteria do we use? Attaching metrics to the measures would de-politicize the issue.
You think attaching some metrics to the restrictions being reduced is going to make any difference to these people? Look at the insanity that's on display in this movement:

Quote:
“I’m risking everything I have,” said Jake Klassen, 39, who has been a truck driver for nearly two decades and drives three weeks of the month hauling loads to the U.S. as an owner-operator. “I want to be able to have my own choice.”
Klassen has two campers and his black semi trailer at the Emerson blockade. They could potentially be seized; Klassen described Trudeau’s move to invoke emergency powers as a “scare tactic” so “they can take everything from us,” he said.
Klassen said he hasn’t been able to visit his nine-year-old daughter in months. She is receiving palliative care at St. Amant, a care residence in Winnipeg, but due to restrictions that require visitors to be fully vaccinated, Klassen and his wife can’t see her.
“This is something worth fighting for,” he said.
https://fortune.com/2022/02/15/canad...es-act-powers/
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #267
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Ok so Coutts is disbanding? Canadian National Anthem and hugs to send it all off - Great news. Grab a group photo. Now let the dust settle for a day or two and then mail out an obscene amount of fines.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #268
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I personally can't wait till the next environmental protest against any oil and gas development. Those protestors better get taken down by the cops in the most heavy handed manner possible.

And I'm sure everyone will support it 100%.
Block critical infastructure, you can get offed. I've been consistent, hope you've been.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #269
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should come as a surprise to no one but Police Chief Sloly from Ottawa has resigned.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #270
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, metrics would help. Ask our provincial government to come up with them. But I suspect if we had placed metrics in place in early January, when they said our capacity was about 1500 hospitalizations(which we are still at) that we wouldn't have had measured removed by Kenney, because it would be going against that. The point is, when you read stuff like this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...348664?cmp=rss

Clearly there is a lot of concern from those in the medical system that this is too soon, and people needing the medical system are going to pay a price for that. Some with their lives.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #271
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We attached metrics here in Alberta and the Coutts border remained blocked. Most people in these groups are conspiracy minded nut jobs who drone on about the World Economic Forum, the Great Reset, the New Normal, HIV in mRNA vaccines. There is no reasoning with them and they won't accept any metric because they don't believe the people in power.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #272
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I personally can't wait till the next environmental protest against any oil and gas development. Those protestors better get taken down by the cops in the most heavy handed manner possible.

Like when RCMP tactical used a chainsaw to cut through a door during the Coastal Gas Link protests?

It's already been done. The hypocrisy of the responses has been palpable throughout all of this.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #273
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Klassen said he hasn’t been able to visit his nine-year-old daughter in months. She is receiving palliative care at St. Amant, a care residence in Winnipeg, but due to restrictions that require visitors to be fully vaccinated, Klassen and his wife can’t see her.
Unbelievable. Putting everything ahead of their child. Mind you, if he could, I'm sure he'd have had her front & center, as his shield. Stellar parenting here. Just stellar.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #274
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Sure. Disarm them and then arrest them.

We're shaking their hands. It's absurd.
Don't forget the hugs. I certainly agree with you on that.

I was moreso speaking to the length of time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #275
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Like when RCMP tactical used a chainsaw to cut through a door during the Coastal Gas Link protests?

It's already been done. The hypocrisy of the responses has been palpable throughout all of this.
I also include any funding for environmental groups that oppose pipeline development or supports blockades against anything we consider to be critical infrastructure.

The government better be using their powers to shut that all down, tomorrow. Freeze assets, and levy $100k fines to anyone involved.

I'll be waiting.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #276
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This should come as a surprise to no one but Police Chief Sloly from Ottawa has resigned.
At least now he can take the mask totally off and join them, the mask slipped a week ago, fully off now I'd imagine.

https://youtu.be/MK131_eiG9s?t=5458
Old 02-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #277
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also include any funding for environmental groups that oppose pipeline development or supports blockades against anything we consider to be critical infrastructure.

The government better be using their powers to shut that all down, tomorrow. Freeze assets, and levy $100k fines to anyone involved.

I'll be waiting.
This doesn't make any sense. You are veering into nonsense territory with your posts lately. Which is why I asked where you get your info from.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #278
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I'll be waiting.
But it's reasonable (even if barely) for environmentalists to oppose any development in O&G and it's more practical for an environmentalist in BC or Alberta to fata with O&G development in our own country than to try to make somewhere like Saudi Arabia more environmentally friendly.

Like, I wouldn't want to stop environmentalists from advancing their agenda because, ultimately, it's to all of our benefit to work toward cleaner energy and a cleaner environment. They have done a lot to push our industry into being better and better for the environment. That's good.

If/when they start behaving illegally, then yes, any reasonable person should want them stopped by law enforcement. If/when there are foreign-funded groups directing money into the sponsorship of illegal activities by environmental groups, we need to stop them and prosecute to the extent possible.

You're going to have a tough time getting us on a 'gotcha' here. We're consistent. I think maybe you're projecting what you would do - that is, not want laws enforced when it's to the benefit of your ideology, but want them enforced when something runs counter to your ideology.

Speaking for myself, I want consistency in how we treat protesters that go too far by breaking the law. It's so basic and the best part is it doesn't require any mental gymnastics.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #279
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:

I'll be waiting.
You inhabit a completely different universe, dude. You'll be waiting awhile.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:19 AM   #280
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
But it's reasonable (even if barely) for environmentalists to oppose any development in O&G and it's more practical for an environmentalist in BC or Alberta to fata with O&G development in our own country than to try to make somewhere like Saudi Arabia more environmentally friendly.

Like, I wouldn't want to stop environmentalists from advancing their agenda because, ultimately, it's to all of our benefit to work toward cleaner energy and a cleaner environment. They have done a lot to push our industry into being better and better for the environment. That's good.

If/when they start behaving illegally, then yes, any reasonable person should want them stopped by law enforcement. If/when there are foreign-funded groups directing money into the sponsorship of illegal activities by environmental groups, we need to stop them and prosecute to the extent possible.

You're going to have a tough time getting us on a 'gotcha' here. We're consistent. I think maybe you're projecting what you would do - that is, not want laws enforced when it's to the benefit of your ideology, but want them enforced when something runs counter to your ideology.

Speaking for myself, I want consistency in how we treat protesters that go too far by breaking the law. It's so basic and the best part is it doesn't require any mental gymnastics.
I would also argue that there's a fundamental difference between slowing the construction of a pipeline through Indigenous-owned land and occupying a section of a city or blocking an international border. For the former:

-the legal issues are much murkier re: Indigenous title given that the land is technically unceded.
-the societal impact is relatively narrow and more opaque.

For the latter, it's pretty open and shut. If anti-pipeline protesters blocked border crossings I imagine they would have been cleared out almost immediately, and they certainly wouldn't have gotten this kind of treatment from the police once they did leave:

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: