Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #261
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Seems like everyone's got a fitbit these days, but is anyone using a Gear fit 2 by Samsung?

Colour and touch screen seems appealing

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #262
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Samsung Gear Sport that I'm very happy with if that helps at all.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #263
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Only today? I have been running in shorts and t shirt for a week now.

Anyone have a good pair of blue tooth head phones for running? If it makes any difference I find any apple head phones fall out of my hears too easily.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6DC2ZE?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I like those because they sort of "lock" into my ear. Earbuds don't stay in my tiny ears but these are pretty good.

Last edited by metallicat; 04-24-2018 at 05:51 PM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #264
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #265
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I started running in January, I'm on my second hiatus from running due to knee and ankle pain. The first time went away on its own with some new shoes and some rest. This time rest isn't doing the trick and I'm contemplating some treatment, possibly in the form of physio or (shudder) chiropractic. I'm not sure what to do. Every second person I talk to gives me their "guy", be it a physio or a chiro. I wouldn't let a chiro touch my neck or back, but knees and ankles? Maybe. I really don't know what is causing this, and I'm in pain when I walk and especially when I go down stairs.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #266
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Since I started running in January, I'm on my second hiatus from running due to knee and ankle pain. The first time went away on its own with some new shoes and some rest. This time rest isn't doing the trick and I'm contemplating some treatment, possibly in the form of physio or (shudder) chiropractic. I'm not sure what to do. Every second person I talk to gives me their "guy", be it a physio or a chiro. I wouldn't let a chiro touch my neck or back, but knees and ankles? Maybe. I really don't know what is causing this, and I'm in pain when I walk and especially when I go down stairs.

I thought taking breaks would help, but it didn’t seem to help after trying to get back into the swing of things again. I don’t know why, but running would be fine for a few times and then the knee would flame up again.

Ended up taking some Ibuprofen and it made a world of difference. At least for my knee. I don’t have any ankle problems, but the Ibuprofen helped a lot so that I could keep running. Anyway, that’s all I can say if is a knee inflammation problem. I took a Motrin in the morning and then another after my run and thing have been great the last couple of weeks. Of course other things start to pop up. Bruised toes, chafed neck, inhaled mosquitoes, etc.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know if they sell pants that are light enough to run in but look good in a casual office setting? My company seems to dislike my shorts, and I am done running with my backpack now that it’s warmer. Just something that doesn’t look like running tights / sweat pants / cargo pants.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #268
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Running shouldn't hurt, is there a reason you are contemplating and not going? If you have benefits through your work or school it should really be a no brainer to go see a physio. Find somebody who specializes in running injuries and they should be able to give you an idea of what is going on, how to fix it, etc.

I'll throw in a plug to my "guy", Sheri MacDonald at LivActiv (formerly the running injury clinic) is excellent, but anybody who specializes in running issues should be able to help.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #269
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess part of it is lack of coverage. I don't get benefits through my work and we turned my wife's health care spending account money into RRSPs. But you're right, I should just go.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #270
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody know if they sell pants that are light enough to run in but look good in a casual office setting? My company seems to dislike my shorts, and I am done running with my backpack now that it’s warmer. Just something that doesn’t look like running tights / sweat pants / cargo pants.
Check out lululemon, I think there are a few pairs that might look sort of dressy. Not sure if they would meet office requirements though
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #271
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I guess part of it is lack of coverage. I don't get benefits through my work and we turned my wife's health care spending account money into RRSPs. But you're right, I should just go.
Most knee and ankle issues will resolve (and not return) with 4-6 treatments if your therapist is half decent (and you return to running decently slowly).

To me that's a no brainer.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #272
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m looking for suggestions for running headphones.

Regular apple pods are mostly fine, but if it is windy then the wind noise gets very loud to the point I can’t hear the music very well.

I got some in ears, monster isport victory. They stay in the ear well, and good sound isolation, but there is a bunch of noise just from the running movement with the ear plug jammed in my ear.

I just tried a light pair of Bluetooth ON ear headphones...I think I like them, but I’m trying to figure out how much better they are with wind noise than the Apple pods. But they stay on well, and there is some noise isolation, and I think it minimizes the wind noise better.

So I just wanted to find out what other people recommend? I feel like I am a having trouble finding the ‘solution’.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #273
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I assume we're only considering wireless, as having a cord bounce around your neck/torso between the headphones and your music device is caveman stuff.

isolating headphones don't have as much wind noise, but as you've already experienced, you get those weird inner body gurgling sounds. I also feel unsafe not being able to hear other people, cars, etc. as well. for me, ambient awareness is a must for outdoors, even if the tradeoff is wind noise.

with that said, I found that the wind volume is proportional to how far the earphones stick out. the bigger their profile, the more air disturbance they'll kick up. what I've stuck with to date is a pair of Bragi "The Headphone" (stupid awkward name), which don't generate a lot of wind due to their shape. but by default the earbud tips are noise isolating. they have an "ambient" mode that lets outside sound in, but I found the effect unnatural, so what I did was just cut the tips off so that they were no longer isolating.

Bragi also has the more expensive Dash line, which includes a special wind reduction mode that I assume gives a better ambient experience. right now I don't think there's any perfect solution out there until they find a way to beam the tunes straight into your skull. the other thing with truly wireless earbuds that have no wire between them is they tend to drop the connection a bit easier. Apple Airpods have a stronger connection but their shape doesn't work for a lot of ear types.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #274
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are bone conduction headphones that don't even go in your ear. I've never used them so have no idea if they work for running or if the quality is good enough but it's the closest we have to beaming sound into your ear
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #275
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp.... that was pretty hot and exhausting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #276
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
There are bone conduction headphones that don't even go in your ear. I've never used them so have no idea if they work for running or if the quality is good enough but it's the closest we have to beaming sound into your ear
My wife backed a kickstarter for some of these a couple years ago. She finally got them at the end of last year, wore them once, and now they're sitting in our obsolete technology drawer.

Maybe there's a time and place for them but the sound quality just isn't the same, it's like diet coke vs. coke.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #277
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I’m looking for suggestions for running headphones.

Regular apple pods are mostly fine, but if it is windy then the wind noise gets very loud to the point I can’t hear the music very well.

I got some in ears, monster isport victory. They stay in the ear well, and good sound isolation, but there is a bunch of noise just from the running movement with the ear plug jammed in my ear.

I just tried a light pair of Bluetooth ON ear headphones...I think I like them, but I’m trying to figure out how much better they are with wind noise than the Apple pods. But they stay on well, and there is some noise isolation, and I think it minimizes the wind noise better.

So I just wanted to find out what other people recommend? I feel like I am a having trouble finding the ‘solution’.
The best solution that I have come up with is singing.You can change songs and volume hands free, it doesn't block traffic and pedestrian noise and has the added benefit of entertaining other runners along your route.

I use a pair of wireless Sony earbuds for running indoors with a TV which work well but I can't comment on the wind noise.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #278
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Started running today using the Run Tracker App and the couch potato to 5km program. Worked pretty good. I'm aiming to do a Disney 5km run next year.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #279
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I beat a cyclist up a hill! Also, OMG too hot. Just a few clouds and it would be perfect.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #280
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cooler weather made today's afternoon so effortless. And I finally saw some other runners out along Nose Creek for a change. Inhaling a mosquito or whatever it happened to be was kind of gross.