Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #2741
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Burying the 7th Ave line while improving the experience is quite an expensive option in terms of $ per additional capacity.
Well you'd have to buy more cars to realize the benefits, but the 8th Ave Subway roughly quadruples the capacity of the red and blue lines. Doubled once because you're no longer sharing track. Doubled again because you can have lower headways without switching track.

This is unlike certain line planned line extensions that do not increase capacity at all, and merely displace inner city riders.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #2742
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Well you'd have to buy more cars to realize the benefits, but the 8th Ave Subway roughly quadruples the capacity of the red and blue lines. Doubled once because you're no longer sharing track. Doubled again because you can have lower headways without switching track.

This is unlike certain line planned line extensions that do not increase capacity at all, and merely displace inner city riders.
Agreed that the Red line should not expand until the line is buried. But in terms of dollars per rider added it's expensive.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #2743
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a plan in the future to see the 3 northern lines connected together in an East-West route, e.g.) a McKnight to North Point to Tuscany?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #2744
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there a plan in the future to see the 3 northern lines connected together in an East-West route, e.g.) a McKnight to North Point to Tuscany?
I can concievably see a North central to Airport to NE line, the right of way would be easy, as the city has essentially planned for airport connection from both lines.

Connecting the NC to the NW line, doesn't seem to make any sense, cost wise.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #2745
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #2746
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are scraping it? Would have been nice to save this piece of history somewhere. Good ol' Calgary.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #2747
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really that should go to the Glenbow, or turn the shell into a concession at some park in the city. It seems like something that should be saved.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #2748
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

"Over here you'll see the spot where people routinely vomited each weekend for about 36 straight years."
*points pretty much everywhere*
"Now... who wants to buy a churro?"
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #2749
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

2016 Transit Service Review (primarily Northwest Route Network)

I had meant to post about this earlier, but a lot of the bus network serving the northwest and also parts of the Centre City was studied and overhauled as part of the fall service changes.

The old 37/43 and 137/143 northwest loop buses are gone, as is the 145 Northland route. A few of the 400 series community connector routes were worked over as well.

The result is this:

from the Rider's Guide

Operating efficiency was part of the aim here, with some of the new routes being interlined and to iron out some of the kinks with the old network.

Has anyone had any experiences with this new network yet?

I really don't know what to think, or whether this will be more efficient or not. The farther northwest communities frankly don't lend themselves to being effectively served by bus routes due to the curvilinear spaghetti dish layout of the streets, but I'm sure there were some inefficiencies that could be eliminated.

I do like that a big area like this was taken and fully re-worked. I would like to see that for some other large areas of the city, as well as the city as a whole with some of the major trunkline routes (3, 4, 5, 20, 72/73, etc.). I found that in the past too small an area was looked at, or just single routes were changed without looking at how the network worked together as a whole.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #2750
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an idea for the Calgary Transit etiquette campaign. It's along the lines of those "Don't be a Funky Ferret" PSAs.

"Don't be a Contagious Capybara".

I am envisioning a deathly-ill, anthropomorphized capybara, coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth.

Any graphics designers up for the task?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #2751
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Really that should go to the Glenbow, or turn the shell into a concession at some park in the city. It seems like something that should be saved.
Calgary should really start building toward a Calgary Transit Museum. The Transport for London Museum is a wicked way to spend a day in London.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #2752
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Calgary should really start building toward a Calgary Transit Museum. The Transport for London Museum is a wicked way to spend a day in London.
Here's where Glen Gulutzan sat after he got his pink slip on October 24 2016.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #2753
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Apparently a Ctrain collision this AM. Just heard on the PA.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #2754
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess they had to pull off the new red trains for now:
http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/29...hy-new-ctrains
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #2755
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

"welp! my 12 hour shift is over! time to go home"
*Abandons C-train full of passengers*

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/c...er-flames-game

Quote:
Calgary Transit officials are investigating why a CTrain operator inexplicably abandoned his post this week, leaving cars full of passengers stranded after a Flames hockey game.

Passengers say it was after 11:30 pm on Wednesday when a northbound CTrain stopped at Sunnyside Station, located in northwest Calgary. Instead of taking off after a short delay, the train never left the station.

The driver announced over the intercom that he had worked a 12-hour shift and refused to go any further. Bewildered passengers, meanwhile, were left to wonder how and when they’d get home.
Quote:
“It was kind of ridiculous,” Delday said. “It was late at night, and we were all stuck waiting on the track. It was odd to stop halfway through a route and nothing was really explained. There was no communication.”

Calgary Transit said an internal investigation is currently underway to determine whether the employee in question exceeded a 12-hour shift.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #2756
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's "inexplicable" about that?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #2757
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read that article earlier and really got a chuckle out of the "abandoned his post" line. And really? They've "launched an investigation?" guy didn't like his job so he left, what's to investigate
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #2758
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Public Transit - Discussion

I am trying to reconcile the comment from the passenger that nothing was explained and there was no communication, despite the driver coming on the intercom 3 times.

Interpretation: "I had my headphones on, was looking down at my phone the entire 15 minutes, didn't realize we had stopped, wow I am getting interviewed!"
Old 11-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #2759
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I preferred the story about the guy who "flew downtown" to rescue his stranded adult daughter from a 15 minute train delay. Being a concerned parent is something I have no issue with, just the way the article is written making it seem like it's a 13 year left alone downtown.

Credit to CT though getting a replacement driver there in 15 minutes seems pretty quick to me.

Last edited by btimbit; 11-19-2016 at 10:26 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #2760
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I preferred the story about the guy who "flew downtown" to rescue his stranded adult daughter from a 15 minute train delay. Being a concerned parent is something I have no issue with, just the way the article is written making it seem like it's a 13 year left alone downtown.

Credit to CT though getting a replacement driver there in 15 minutes seems pretty quick to me.
Is the guy a CPA? He should have sent the choppa to the Dome to pick up his kid instead of subjecting her to the horrors of CT.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings