Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #2681
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

we did fine without twitter a decade or so ago, somehow we managed get trade deadline news or have violent insurrections, I'm sure we'll survive when it collapses (as all social media will at some point) if nothing replaces it
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 04:16 PM   #2682
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
we did fine without twitter a decade or so ago, somehow we managed get trade deadline news or have violent insurrections, I'm sure we'll survive when it collapses (as all social media will at some point) if nothing replaces it
We didn’t just do fine, our societies were far better off. It’s a net negative.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 04:27 PM   #2683
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
How is that a dumb take? It’s literally the best take in this entire thread.

Social media is the scourge of everything. It’s quite literally the driving factor of extremism in both directions and a prime contributor to depression. Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, Snapchat and all the other stupid A F sites and apps can die in a fiery death trap as far as I can tell and humanity will emerge from that 1,000,000% better off.

Believe it or not, before social media, people still talked to people and had friends, knew what was going on in their communities and were actually way more interested and versed with the news. Now we have Twitters limited character windows creating false impressions of knowledge on everybody.

Like, can you actually tell me what it’s good for?
It's really dumb because users are just complaining about a experience they once enjoyed being gone, that's it. The misguided arrogance around being on a social media website while complaining about another is pretty funny too. It's not a big deal, and you're little old man rant was ridiculous but silver's original post was silly, just simply silly.

People still have friends, sorry you don't
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:33 PM   #2684
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Hahha Yes, Twitter being a net negative platform to society means I have no friends. Good logic.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:43 PM   #2685
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a twitter user who doesn't recommend it to anyone. My opinion is that twitter was bad before Musk and will continue to be bad with him and after him.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 PM   #2686
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I think the next big platform should have a 40-character limit on posts. All that extraneous verbiage just delays the dopamine by several agonizing seconds.

More emojis, fewer words of multiple syllables!
Old 01-18-2023, 05:13 PM   #2687
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, yeah Twitter is weird, you gotta get used to it. But pre 2016 when politics wasn't at the centre of absolutely everything, it was pretty fun if you followed the right accounts. It's just annoying and super polarized now, like everything these days.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 05:14 PM   #2688
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I think the next big platform should have a 40-character limit on posts. All that extraneous verbiage just delays the dopamine by several agonizing seconds.

More emojis, fewer words of multiple syllables!
A version of Twitter where posts can only be published in the form of Haikus would be the best.

"Vaccines are so bad,
I'll take my chances with flu,
Anti-vaxxer pride!"

"Anti-vaxxer fool!
Your ignorance endangers.
Get vaxxed, you moron!"

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:00 PM   #2689
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Hahha Yes, Twitter being a net negative platform to society means I have no friends. Good logic.
I think it’s valid to question this notion that in the “before times” people had friends! knew their neighbours! were aware of the news! etc. People still do that. You could even argue it’s easier than ever. That can be good and bad, as an individual who would otherwise be lonely and without a community can find one. Those communities can have a hugely positive impact on people (saving them from suicide, for example) or a hugely negative one (pushing them towards extremism).

You can argue the bad outweighs the good, but it doesn’t make sense to pretend it’s all bad with some lazy “back in my day” half-truths about the world. If social media has no redeeming qualities at all, why in the world are you here?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #2690
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Meh, yeah Twitter is weird, you gotta get used to it. But pre 2016 when politics wasn't at the centre of absolutely everything, it was pretty fun if you followed the right accounts. It's just annoying and super polarized now, like everything these days.
that's all because of twitter
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #2691
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think it’s valid to question this notion that in the “before times” people had friends! knew their neighbours! were aware of the news! etc. People still do that. You could even argue it’s easier than ever. That can be good and bad, as an individual who would otherwise be lonely and without a community can find one. Those communities can have a hugely positive impact on people (saving them from suicide, for example) or a hugely negative one (pushing them towards extremism).

You can argue the bad outweighs the good, but it doesn’t make sense to pretend it’s all bad with some lazy “back in my day” half-truths about the world. If social media has no redeeming qualities at all, why in the world are you here?
Good post and good points. I think a board such as this is way better than Twitter because, like you did in your post, sometimes coherent rational discourse requires more than a limited number of characters and words.

Agree that before social media people had friends and still do, of course. But without doubt social media is more of a net negative to society than net positive although I’d be happy to learn and have that debate. Does social media, to use your example, save more people from suicide than it pushes to suicide? That’s something we will never know but I’m willing to bet it pushes more to suicide. Cyber bullying for teenagers? Way easier, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 07:42 AM   #2692
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statistically, the Canadian Suicide Rate (per capita) peaked in 1983 and is notably lower today. Social Media doesn't seem to have moved the needle much either way, if at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:11 AM   #2693
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Statistically, the Canadian Suicide Rate (per capita) peaked in 1983 and is notably lower today. Social Media doesn't seem to have moved the needle much either way, if at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Canada
Somehow I feel that was related to interest rates.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 11:19 AM   #2694
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

This hasn't been said in a while.

Elon Musk is a piece of ####.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #2695
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
This hasn't been said in a while.

Elon Musk is a piece of ####.
Speaking of Elon. Has he been reigned in a bit by Twitter/Tesla? This thread of late seems to be lacking moronic Elon tweets.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #2696
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he did recently post this ridiculous poll.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1615753259972702208

Just chum in the water for the crazies. Keep them engaged!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #2697
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Speaking of Elon. Has he been reigned in a bit by Twitter/Tesla? This thread of late seems to be lacking moronic Elon tweets.

I think he is in the midst if a lawsuit trying to convince a judge that his “taking Tesla private” tweet was not stock manipulation.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:25 PM   #2698
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Twitter has updated its developer rules to ban third-party clients, almost a week after it unceremoniously blocked the apps’ access to its platform, offering almost no explanation to what was going on (via Engadget). The new rules state that you can’t use Twitter’s API or content to “create or attempt to create a substitute or similar service or product to the Twitter Applications.”

The rules, updated on Thursday, make it clear what that means: “Twitter Applications” refers to the company’s “consumer facing products, services, applications, websites, web pages, platforms, and other offerings, including without limitation, those offered via https://twitter.com and Twitter’s mobile applications.” The clause banning alternative services was added to the rules with the most recent update, according to the Wayback Machine.

There seemingly hasn’t been any official announcement of the rule change, either from Twitter Dev or Elon Musk. Twitter doesn’t have a communications department to contact.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/19/2...ific-ban-rules
Old 01-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #2699
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Is the tapatalk plugin that stopped rendering tweets related to APIs that Musk turned off because he didn't think they did anything?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:02 PM   #2700
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As much as I dislike Elon, if I hear a problem that involves Tapatalk, I’m going to assume it’s on their end every time.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote