Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2024, 03:31 PM   #2681
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve had Iginla in my top 5 for months, he’s easily cemented that for me.
Great tournament for the kid, and the offence generation was very noticeable in the gold medal game. He was the catalyst to the propel them to gold no doubt about it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 03:50 PM   #2682
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty convinced at this point that Iginla will be drafted in the top 10. His relatively young age gives him almost another year to grow and improve compared to many others in his class, combined with his monumental growth this season, will push him up. I think he is right there in the conversation as the 3rd best forward in the draft. I could even see him being the 2nd forward drafted if teams shy away from Demidov.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:24 PM   #2683
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Even without those issues I hope the flames stay far away from American players going the NCAA route
I would take literally all of the CHLers/Russians ranked top-20 over the American NCAA guys.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:55 PM   #2684
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I would take literally all of the CHLers/Russians ranked top-20 over the American NCAA guys.
Don’t sleep on Michael Hage….
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 PM   #2685
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
If we had another pick in the top 15 I would absolutely use it on Hage.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 05:28 PM   #2686
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It has nothing to do with their talent and everything to do with not trusting them further than I can throw them.

Which is not far.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 05:41 PM   #2687
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Celebrini expected to turn pro for next season?
Old 05-05-2024, 06:05 PM   #2688
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is Celebrini expected to turn pro for next season?
I'd say yes.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:12 PM   #2689
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Oh man. I wonder what taking that idiotic penalty will do to Connelly's draft stock? Already surrounded by character questions and he goes and absolutely blows the game for the USA with 11 minutes left in the gold medal game.
Feel a bit bad for Connelly. On the replay Ritchie tried to duck at the last second and put his head in harms way. Hopefully Ritchie learns not to do that at the NHL level, dangerous play.

Hagens came as advertised. Was dangerous every shift.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:25 PM   #2690
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Cole Hutson with the Van pick please!!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 06:30 PM   #2691
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
He vastly outplayed Kiviharju, who was coming back from a long injury, and wasn’t even the best defenseman for a lacklustre Team Finland.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 07:08 PM   #2692
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Ya, I would be ok with that for sure.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:47 PM   #2693
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gosh, I would still love Leo Sahlin Wallenius. He didn’t put up a ton of points, and had a few shaky moments in the tournament, but he played just under 30 minutes per game, and looked silky smooth in all areas.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:13 PM   #2694
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Gosh, I would still love Leo Sahlin Wallenius. He didn’t put up a ton of points, and had a few shaky moments in the tournament, but he played just under 30 minutes per game, and looked silky smooth in all areas.
Agreed. I liked Alfons Freij too, but LSW was a notch better for sure.

A guy that stood out more than anyone for me, as far as a complete surprise was #22 from Latvia, Martins Klaucans. Yet another kid not eligible until 2026. Which makes him even more impressive!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 09:08 PM   #2695
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am pretty convinced at this point that Iginla will be drafted in the top 10. His relatively young age gives him almost another year to grow and improve compared to many others in his class, combined with his monumental growth this season, will push him up. I think he is right there in the conversation as the 3rd best forward in the draft. I could even see him being the 2nd forward drafted if teams shy away from Demidov.
The good thing about Iginla being drafted before our pick is that it means a very good player will drop to us.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Catton
5. Dickinson
6. Perekh
7. Lindstrom
8. Yakemchuk

That's how my rankings go without Iginla. I'd be pretty happy with any of those guys.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 09:33 PM   #2696
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
The good thing about Iginla being drafted before our pick is that it means a very good player will drop to us.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Catton
5. Dickinson
6. Perekh
7. Lindstrom
8. Yakemchuk

That's how my rankings go without Iginla. I'd be pretty happy with any of those guys.
myself i have Dickinson at 2
Buium
Levshunov
Demidov
Catton
Yakemchuk
Helenius
Iginla
Parehk

Iggy jr better physical tools, helenius one if the smartest players in the draft and a center.

Parehk has the most ?
Hard to say how much if demidov magic translates into useful nhl’r, russian factor.

Catton and Yakemchuk criminally underrated here.
Lindstrom compete wild card unless heslth issues arent s concern but would have him just below catton. Again better physical tools against the smarter player

Last edited by Fan69; 05-05-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:07 PM   #2697
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the draft lottery needs to be changed.
For example how about:
1st AO = 32-22th teams with same lottery odd. 1/10
2nd AO = 32-21th teams with same lottery odd. (minus the team which won 1AO) 1/10
3nd AO = 32-20 team (minus 2 winner team) with same odd. 1/10

So 15th team will have 1/10 chance to win 5AO, 17th team will have a chance to win 7th AO.

And the teams that won 1-5AO picks this year will be placed at 12-17th teams next year, or next 2 years. In other word, the teams that won 1-5 AO this year will not be able to select 1-3rd AO next year. If they lucky they may win at best 4AO.

Then may be teams will stop to try to suck intentionally as 32th team will have same lottery odd with 22th team. The 17th team will have a good chance to win to top 10 draft pick. For example the teams like Penguins, Blues or Wild may win 8th - 10th pick this year for the prize for fighting for the playoff position.

And the teams like Sharks and Blackhawks may try to keep or sign some good veteran players to keep the team competitive as they can't draft top 3 for couple years in row and the lottery odd to win 7-17th pick will be same for 7th team and 17th team next year.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:35 PM   #2698
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not overly qualified to do this, but based on scouting reports, videos and just internet chatter, my top ten list would be:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Dickinson
4. Levshunov
5. Catton
6. Iginla
7. Buium
8. Parekh
9. Lindstrom
10. Eiserman
Old 05-06-2024, 12:26 AM   #2699
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol. 5):

LD Onni Amhamdi struggled at times against the Americans in the round-robin of the U-18's, yet somehow ended up with an even plus/minus in the contest for Finland. He bounced back the following game with a strong showing against arch-rival Sweden, but wore the goat horns as the goal that eliminated the hosting Finns from the tournament went in from a deflection off of his stick. Amhamdi had no stats to show for his five games in the tournament, other than a plus-2, and it was a similar stat-line at last summer's Hlinka Gretzky Cup where he put up all zeros in 5 games, while wearing an "A" for the Finns. All in a day's work for Amhamdi, who is a low-event, stay-at-home defender and isn't depended on to be involved in the offense. In league play for the Pelicans U20, the sturdy 6'2",205lb defender scored 9 points in 41 games, with 32 PIM.

Amhamdi plays a very simple game, with no elite qualities, and definitely won't wow anyone with his bare-bones approach. He has enough poise and confidence to make safe decisions with the puck while limiting mistakes, and does what he can to advance plays northward. He has above-average passing skill, but isn't a big creator or driver, and while he can competently support the play in the offensive zone when needed, he's mostly depended on for his contributions to his shutdown role. Amhamdi is defensively reliable, as well as valuable on the penalty kill, and doesn't mind handling all of the dirty work. He's physical, competitive, hard to play against, and rough on forecheckers- he comes out of most battles along the wall and in the corners with the puck. He's hard to get past 1-on-1 with his exemplary positioning, keeping a tight gap on opponents and forcing them to the wall, where they are taken out of the play and separated from the puck. He keeps the crease clear with his size and strength, while slapping away loose pucks, and will put his body on the line to block shots. In his own zone, he displays an ability to read the play well, and owns good IQ and awareness defensively- he can intercept passes, or intercept the player receiving it, and employs a smart stick to make well-timed poke-checks. He doesn't take risks with the puck, and makes a quality first-pass- the shorter, the better.

While Amhamdi's skating has reportedly improved immensely over the course of the year, his speed remains average at best. He has good enough edges to skate backwards well, but needs more explosiveness going north, better acceleration, and an upgrade in his top-speed. With his skilled puckhandling, he can play a support role in transition, and can contribute to the rush with his passing skill. Though I like his game, he will likely never be more than a bottom-pairing defenseman with penalty-killing duties if he makes it. He may not even be drafted, but if he is- he'll have to wait until the late rounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 02:00 AM   #2700
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Agreed. I liked Alfons Freij too, but LSW was a notch better for sure.

A guy that stood out more than anyone for me, as far as a complete surprise was #22 from Latvia, Martins Klaucans. Yet another kid not eligible until 2026. Which makes him even more impressive!
I thought Freij looked like the best defenseman in the tournament at times. Still, one of the best showings in the tourney IMO, and had 2 points in the bronze medal game. He improved his draft stock a little, IMO.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-06-2024 at 05:19 AM.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft