Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #2581
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
the best is when you have to spend a few hours sitting in your bike shorts because you forgot pants. You only do that once.
Yup I've done that, the Mall/Winners doesn't open until 930/10 am. You only do it once.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #2582
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_train View Post
My bike got stolen today out of my garage in Tuscany. Keep a look out for a 2014 Kona Mahuna.
Aww man, that sucks.

There's been so many bike thefts this summer. See postings all the time on social media, kijiji, etc for people looking for their bike that got jacked.

Here's an article.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...surprised.html

"At the end of May, a total of 730 bikes were reported stolen, marking a 60-per-cent increase from last year and a 119-per-cent jump from the 2010-2014 average."

Makes me wonder. What happens to all these stolen bikes? I imagine a very small portion end up being re-sold or pawned but that's pretty risky from a thief's perspective, I'd think.

You'd have to be pretty dumb use Kijiji to list a bike you just stole...

Is there a secret bike stripping shop somewhere where these are brought to, stripped and re-sold in other markets or something?

Bike thieves RGMG.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #2583
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine had his stolen a month ago. Five days later, he got a call from the Salmon Arm RCMP. Not sure how they got it, but I think the thief was busted there. I'd bet there's definitely something organized.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #2584
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've bought a few used bikes in recent years. The first thing I do before I check the bike over is to enter the serial number (usually located somewhere on the bottom bracket shell) into CPIC.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #2585
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone been to Bend? I'll have about half a day to rent a bike and go riding there while driving down to California. Any trail/bike shop recommendations?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #2586
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I was in bend last year. Did a guided ride with cog wild - we did mt bachelor to bend, it was awesome about 45k and we were done at 3.30 for sure. Two tough uphill slogs, but downhill the rest of the way.

I beleive that you can rent a rig through cog wild.

If you don't want to do a guided tour, hit up phils trail system just outside of town.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #2587
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Been to bend a couple of times. Going back in a couple of weeks on our way back from California. Going to ride Levi's Gran Fondo in Santa Rosa.
In Bend if you are limited to 1/2 a day, I'd go to Pine Mountain Bike shop. It's located in the same building as Cog Wild if you want to do a guided tour. Pine Mountain rents out bikes and is close to the Phil's trail system.

http://www.pinemountainsports.com/re...ummer-rentals/

this year we are doing the ale trail

http://www.visitbend.com/Bend_Oregon...end-Ale-Trail/
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #2588
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else following the two guys attempting the world record for the "most miles ridden in a year by bicycle?" The current record was set in 1939 (??!??!) by a guy named Tommy Godwin. He rode a mind blowing 75065 miles (120,805km)!!!!!!!

Steven Abraham is the Brit attempting the record. He was unfortunately hit by a motorcycle in March. He took some time off but resumed his attempt. He is well behind the record pace (42207 miles, 67925km)

Kurt Searvogel is an American from Arkansas, I believe he's over 50,000 miles, but still behind the pace set by Godwin.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #2589
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

75065/365=205 miles per day - on whatever kid of bike they had back in those days - that is very impressive.

it was likely 10-12 hrs per day in the saddle, while wearing a suit (becasue back in those days everyone wore a suit).

i like riding my bike as much as the next fella, but a week or two at that pace would be enough to do me in.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #2590
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Later in the season, I know, but officially hooked. Just recently got my XC bike - after one quick "training session" with a couple of friends, we went to West Bragg last night. Well, thought I would like it, but it was beyond brilliant. We did Braggin' Rights, Merlin View and then kinda mistakenly (great mistake!) took a longer trail on the way back. 16.5 Km and I managed to keep up with my much more experienced friends.

Thanks again to all CPers who gave me advice on the bike purchase when I was asking a while back.

(I think might also have a slight addiction to ChainReactionCycle.com...lol)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #2591
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I read about this exact adventure somewhere else ....I have yet to go the way back to the lot that you did, but hopefully Nextel weekend....

Personally I like Jensen USA much better than CRC - no duty
Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #2592
Bluestu
Draft Pick

Have you tried evanscycles in the UK. If you spend $80 the shipping is free, and there is some quality gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluestu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #2593
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Edit: on second thought, delete

Last edited by cracher; 09-12-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #2594
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Aww man, that sucks.

There's been so many bike thefts this summer. See postings all the time on social media, kijiji, etc for people looking for their bike that got jacked.

Here's an article.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...surprised.html

"At the end of May, a total of 730 bikes were reported stolen, marking a 60-per-cent increase from last year and a 119-per-cent jump from the 2010-2014 average."

Makes me wonder. What happens to all these stolen bikes? I imagine a very small portion end up being re-sold or pawned but that's pretty risky from a thief's perspective, I'd think.

You'd have to be pretty dumb use Kijiji to list a bike you just stole...

Is there a secret bike stripping shop somewhere where these are brought to, stripped and re-sold in other markets or something?

Bike thieves RGMG.
My girlfriend and I had our bikes stolen from our condo storage locker on Christmas Eve.

Being a prosecutor, I called around to some different RCMP detachments. They have no centralized system the way that CPS does to track recovered bikes.

So if an RCMP detachment recovers your stolen bike, they keep it for a while then probably give it to some charity or sell it. Outrageous.

Also, as we all know, pawn shops have so many stolen bikes it's ridiculous. When I went out looking for my bikes, pawn shop owners would take me downstairs/back rooms to show me their bikes they keep "out of sight" clearly because they were stolen.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #2595
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ these kind of stats are the reason I have a specific rider on my home insurance to cover my mtn bike. It is covered up to the original purchase price with a small deductible of $50 I believe.

But I'd have to absorb the $1,500 or so I have put into it. But the majority would hopefully be covered in the event of a theft.

Wonder why the increase in bike thefts?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #2596
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode the Whistler Gran Fondo yesterday. 122km from Stanley Park to the Village in Whistler, with over 1,800 metres in ascent. Before yesterday my longest ride was 51km. When I hit 52km I cheered as it was my new longest ride, but I still had 70km to go, and the last 50km is mostly uphill. I finished in 4:58 which included one 8 minute rest stop to pee and fill a water bottle. My goal was sub 5 hours, so I was really happy to beat it. I also passed by brother in law, and beat him by 24 minutes of chip time, and he trains for these and has now completed three Whistler Fondos. I only signed up for the event 2 weeks ago as my work asked me to do it. I fully intend to do another one with some training. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #2597
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I've never paid duty on anything from CRC, nor have I paid shipping (just make sure you pool with buddies on an order if you're under $99).

I believe you shouldn't pay duty on anything bicycle related with the exception of entire bikes or assembled wheels.

Even then, I've ordered assembled wheels twice with no duty.

Jenson, although fast shipping, never has free shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #2598
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I rode the Whistler Gran Fondo yesterday. 122km from Stanley Park to the Village in Whistler, with over 1,800 metres in ascent. Before yesterday my longest ride was 51km. When I hit 52km I cheered as it was my new longest ride, but I still had 70km to go, and the last 50km is mostly uphill. I finished in 4:58 which included one 8 minute rest stop to pee and fill a water bottle. My goal was sub 5 hours, so I was really happy to beat it. I also passed by brother in law, and beat him by 24 minutes of chip time, and he trains for these and has now completed three Whistler Fondos. I only signed up for the event 2 weeks ago as my work asked me to do it. I fully intend to do another one with some training. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
I am hoping these were two separate actions..
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #2599
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
That's called conserving electrolytes, man. You think Gatorade is free???? Not sure why it would take 8 minutes though, I've got my time down to about 45 seconds.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #2600
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I am hoping these were two separate actions..
Haha. I didn't realize how odd that looked until you pointed it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
That's called conserving electrolytes, man. You think Gatorade is free???? Not sure why it would take 8 minutes though, I've got my time down to about 45 seconds.
I probably could have rushed out of there in a couple minutes, but I didn't mind taking a little breather, knowing that the mountains were about to get steep. I also had a waffle there, so that took a bit of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Closed Thread