Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2024, 10:27 AM   #241
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i never like to watch the Oilers & Flames games because it always seems like the Flames play like they are in awe of McWhiner, this game they hit him and took the play to them, this isn't the 80's oilers, regardless of what the announcers seem to like to promote. I know the banner was already going up when they had their winning streak but if teams continue to play them hard, they will falter. not hard to see
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:27 AM   #242
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
What a great game by the flames. Talk about a pack of hungry hyenas. They absolutely worked over the oilers. Well done from every single flame last night.

It hasn’t been discussed enough how bad that officiating was last night… probably because the flames powered through it and the oilers did not really have too many powerplays so I guess it could have been worse. But the number of times the officials took guys from both sides when it should have just been one were ridiculous. When McDavid went after Andersson… Andersson didn’t do anything! Like he did nothing at all to deserve any kind of penalty. That was all McDavid. Never seen a bigger example of “well, it’s McDavid so…” in my life. Embarrassing for the officials to do that… it was like when Lucic hit McDavid with a completely clean hit in the playoffs in game 1 and they game him a roughing penalty.

And Ron McLean is so brutal to watch or listen to. It has gotten so bad and ridiculous how much he loves the oilers and is out to defend/cheer for them every chance he gets on HNIC. That play with Huberdeau and Ekholm… I can’t believe he tried to completely ignore what Ekholm did to Huberdeau to start the whole thing - good on Bieksa for immediately calling him out on that. As if Ekholm shoving a guy in the numbers into the boards head first is nothing?! Huberdeau got up from there, looked at the ref who was 6 feet away from the play and had not raised his arm to call Ekholm… so Huberdeau took matters into his own hands and started giving him the lumber. Completely reasonable IMO. If the ref is not going to do anything about a guy doing something like that, then I’ll take care of myself I guess.

Way to go flames! Oilers can have their Sportsnet cheerleaders… will make it all the more enjoyable when they fail. Hopefully they miss the playoffs by a single point and flames fans look back as this dominating defeat and can give oilers fans the Wrath of Kahn treatment… “I just wanted you to know it was me who had beaten you.”
I hate Ron for a ton of reasons, but guys...its a National Broadcast, not you shooting the breeze with your buds at the Pub about your favourite team.

If Ron cant mix even a marginal degree of objective Professionalism into his 'analysis' anymore? Put him out to pasture and get the gun.

I've seriously had it with idiots like McClean.

I've seen too many actually genuine journalists lose their jobs because its a tough industry and somehow this asshat manages to clutch on to his (very lucrative) job? I do not hold to that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #243
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I hate Ron for a ton of reasons, but guys...its a National Broadcast, not you shooting the breeze with your buds at the Pub about your favourite team.

If Ron cant mix even a marginal degree of objective Professionalism into his 'analysis' anymore? Put him out to pasture and get the gun.

I've seriously had it with idiots like McClean.

I've seen too many actually genuine journalists lose their jobs because its a tough industry and somehow this asshat manages to clutch on to his (very lucrative) job? I do not hold to that.

I said it in the game time thread that it sucks when Hockey Night In Canada is a regional broadcast
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #244
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What a great game by the flames. Talk about a pack of hungry hyenas. They absolutely worked over the oilers. Well done from every single flame last night.

It hasn’t been discussed enough how bad that officiating was last night… probably because the flames powered through it and the oilers did not really have too many powerplays so I guess it could have been worse. But the number of times the officials took guys from both sides when it should have just been one were ridiculous. When McDavid went after Andersson… Andersson didn’t do anything! Like he did nothing at all to deserve any kind of penalty. That was all McDavid. Never seen a bigger example of “well, it’s McDavid so…” in my life. Embarrassing for the officials to do that… it was like when Lucic hit McDavid with a completely clean hit in the playoffs in game 1 and they game him a roughing penalty.

And Ron McLean is so brutal to watch or listen to. It has gotten so bad and ridiculous how much he loves the oilers and is out to defend/cheer for them every chance he gets on HNIC. That play with Huberdeau and Ekholm… I can’t believe he tried to completely ignore what Ekholm did to Huberdeau to start the whole thing - good on Bieksa for immediately calling him out on that. As if Ekholm shoving a guy in the numbers into the boards head first is nothing?! Huberdeau got up from there, looked at the ref who was 6 feet away from the play and had not raised his arm to call Ekholm… so Huberdeau took matters into his own hands and started giving him the lumber. Completely reasonable IMO. If the ref is not going to do anything about a guy doing something like that, then I’ll take care of myself I guess.

Way to go flames! Oilers can have their Sportsnet cheerleaders… will make it all the more enjoyable when they fail. Hopefully they miss the playoffs by a single point and flames fans look back as this dominating defeat and can give oilers fans the Wrath of Kahn treatment… “I just wanted you to know it was me who had beaten you.”
I think the worst call of the night was the embellishment call on Coleman. I only saw a brief highlight, but it looked like he took a hard cross check to he chest, stumbled and immediately got up and in Janmark's face. I'd love to see a clip of that.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:33 AM   #245
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That play with Huberdeau and Ekholm… I can’t believe he tried to completely ignore what Ekholm did to Huberdeau to start the whole thing - good on Bieksa for immediately calling him out on that. As if Ekholm shoving a guy in the numbers into the boards head first is nothing?! Huberdeau got up from there, looked at the ref who was 6 feet away from the play and had not raised his arm to call Ekholm… so Huberdeau took matters into his own hands and started giving him the lumber. Completely reasonable IMO. If the ref is not going to do anything about a guy doing something like that, then I’ll take care of myself I guess.
Yeah that play was infuriating. The league should take that clip and show it to all their refs as an example of how to lose control of a game.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:36 AM   #246
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
I said it in the game time thread that it sucks when Hockey Night In Canada is a regional broadcast
That bull#### about "The Oilers can score 5 in the 3rd!!"

WTF? Are you being serious with me right now?

"Hey Friedman...you're fired."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:38 AM   #247
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Which Oiler got the artist hat? Because I thought that game was a masterpiece. Most beautiful Oilers game of the season.
FlameFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameFan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:41 AM   #248
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
It's so bad. I said this last night too. At this point I say give the Sportsnet Monday Night Hockey panel the HNIC games too. They do a much better job. Maybe throw Bieksa into it, then just give Friedman his own separate segment.

Because this crap is terrible

Ron needs to retire. So bad
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:51 AM   #249
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The HNIC panel looked disheveled after the game .. LOL
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:51 AM   #250
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

And what was up with Ron and Bieksa and that “right of way” nonsense again? Draisaitl was cutting to the net and had a step on Kyllington so he should have the “right of way”? It’s like these two guys have never watched hockey!
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:53 AM   #251
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
And what was up with Ron and Bieksa and that “right of way” nonsense again? Draisaitl was cutting to the net and had a step on Kyllington so he should have the “right of way”? It’s like these two guys have never watched hockey!
The silliest part is when he played Bieksa would absolutely not have followed his own advice there. So dumb
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #252
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames-Oilers on HNIC in Edmonton: the reason the MUTE button was invented. No need to listen to that crap. Just watch. Listen to music.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #253
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ron Maclean needs to retire, its so weird to think he was a part of Flames telecasts in the 80s before HNIC. His Oiler love back then would have had him run out of town.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #254
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was out last night, so watching the game now. Just finished the first and wow, that was a really solid first period. Haven't noticed Kuzmenko at all so I'm guessing he's benched already or scratched? Unfortunate, as I was wondering if the Flames may have finally found a sniper for the roster, but I guess his deficiencies in the other aspects of the game are a problem for Huska and co.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:09 AM   #255
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised that Maclean is only 63. I thought he was a lot older than that.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:09 AM   #256
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Was out last night, so watching the game now. Just finished the first and wow, that was a really solid first period. Haven't noticed Kuzmenko at all so I'm guessing he's benched already or scratched? Unfortunate, as I was wondering if the Flames may have finally found a sniper for the roster, but I guess his deficiencies in the other aspects of the game are a problem for Huska and co.
He was sick and didn't play.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 11:10 AM   #257
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kuzmenko was sick. Unless you are one of the conspiracy theorists in the PGT.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 11:10 AM   #258
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He’s sick and didn’t play.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:13 AM   #259
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wondering if there a link to rewatch the Hockey Panel?
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #260
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
A made up agenda in a game that has gone soft.