Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2023, 09:32 AM   #241
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The look on her face when she said "Anakin" gave me hope.

There was a flash of the Ahsoka we know from before.

This version of Ahsoka is way to ostentatious. I picked up on it during The Mandalorian as well. She's snarky, not smug, there is a difference. Indifferent to the Jedi Order, not pretentious about it.

I believe that the Jedi Ghosts live in the world between worlds, that is why Anakin looks 'normal' and not ghosty. They have to take on that form to visit the living world. Ahsoka is dying, thus her visit. Anakin will guide her back though.
Like I said, I think we got really spoiled by animated Ashoka and the voice portrayal of Ashley Eckstein.

Even later in Rebels when she finds out who Vader really was, we never got the sense of gloominess that we get with this one.

I expect though that we will find out tonight that her lifetime of regret and what she deems as bad decisions has destroyed her much like (god) Luke gave up on the Jedi and the Force in the Sequels.

The other thing and its not a criticism because its an impossibility. But when I compare Ashoka's last duel against Maul, and her duel against Vader in Rebels. Compared to the fighting now, It just seems to be really slow.

I mean the one time I really liked it was in her fight with Baylon. Where they were very deliberate as if trying to figure each other out. It was very much like Obi-wan versus Maul in Rebels where they weren't interested in flippy flippy slashy slashy, but looking for that one weakness that they could exploit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:48 PM   #242
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans are speculating so much on what will happen and diving deep into the lore to make predictions but the reality is never as complex or deep-meaning as the hardcores hope/expect.

Just like with Marrok, I expect more collective "that's it?"

I also expect Marrok's existence to never be addressed. He just was, then he wasn't. Cool lightsaber fight fodder, that's all.

But so far the show does seem somewhat dumbed down, even by Filoni's standards.

Hopefully the back half proves otherwise and shows a much more intricate web of thought and planning that is also setting up future content.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #243
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Fans are speculating so much on what will happen and diving deep into the lore to make predictions but the reality is never as complex or deep-meaning as the hardcores hope/expect.

Just like with Marrok, I expect more collective "that's it?"

I also expect Marrok's existence to never be addressed. He just was, then he wasn't. Cool lightsaber fight fodder, that's all.

But so far the show does seem somewhat dumbed down, even by Filoni's standards.

Hopefully the back half proves otherwise and shows a much more intricate web of thought and planning that is also setting up future content.

Here's what we know. Spiny helicopter lightsabers . . . bad.
Inquisitors in the face of actual Jedi Knights, Vader, Palpatine, dead.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #244
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Here's what we know. Spiny helicopter lightsabers . . . bad.
Inquisitors in the face of actual Jedi Knights, Vader, Palpatine, dead.
I suppose that's all we really need to know.

Unfortunately it makes for exactly 0 surprise. At least it was a cool fatality dealt by Ahsoka. A boss moment, if you will.

I can't wait for something new and mind blowing though. I love these dark jedi mercs, but I fear that when we find out exactly what they're up to, it will dampen the intrigue. Hopefully Filoni has bigger things up his sleeve than just Thrawn coming back to be Palpatine-lite and these Jedi wanting to be in his entourage because "power".

Because that's exactly the kind of mindless, undercooked story Disney would pump out.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 09-12-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:27 PM   #245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I suppose that's all we really need to know.

Unfortunately it makes for exactly 0 surprise. At least it was a cool fatality dealt by Ahsoka. A boss moment, if you will.

I can't wait for something new and mind blowing though. I love these dark jedi mercs, but I fear that when we find out exactly what they're up to, it will dampen the intrigue. Hopefully Filoni has bigger things up his sleeve than just Thrawn coming back to be Palpatine-lite and these Jedi wanting to be in his entourage because "power".

Because that's exactly the kind of mindless, undercooked story Disney would pump out.
This is the thing too, I wish we knew more about Baylan.

He's old, but he's not an Inquisitor, how did he survive Order 66? If he was younger I'd think he's just some hopped up Padawan with delusions of Grandeur.

Then there's the Galactic Civil War. I've already chewed out Ahsoka for ditching out, where was this guy?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 07:57 PM   #246
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahsoka the White.

"This is where the fun begins."

I'm guessing this series is going to end with either Ahsoka or Ezra taking Jacen as a Padawan.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:29 PM   #247
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Young Ahsoka has ten times the charisma as Rosario Dawson's.

Casting has been my biggest problem with this show, but it hasn't been a big enough problem to impact my enjoyment.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #248
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That was great. I guess we were supposed to notice Ahsoka seemed “off”. Seems like Ahsoka the White will be more true to form.

Those training, flashback, whatever scenes were great. CAPTAIN REX!
Old 09-12-2023, 10:19 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will pistol whip the next person who says 'Snips.'

NSFW!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-12-2023, 10:38 PM   #250
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Young Ahsoka has ten times the charisma as Rosario Dawson's.
Unfortunately I have to agree, but I guess we'll see what Ahsoka the White is like.

Really enjoyed that episode, glad they didn't spend the episode in the World Between Worlds. I still don't really understand, was that really Anakin? I guess his force ghost?

Lots of great moments, good music.. If this was supposed to be character development for Ahsoka I guess I don't get why she's changing, Anakin wanted her to choose to live??

Still really enjoyed it, best episode by far so far.

They did a good job of de-aging Hayden, I didn't find it distracting and I usually do (The Indiana Jones movie for example). And I thought he did a good job in the episode.

And I couldn't help it, when young Ahsoka showed up I was totally:

EDIT: Thinking of it more, it's not that Anakin wanted her to chose to live, but to choose to live how she wants to live. She asked if all she was was a warrior. Anakin talks about what it means to be a Jedi changes with the times, and she can decide what she thinks is necessary, she's not bound to being a warrior, Anakin tells her she's more, just like he's more. And at the end she doesn't kill him, she chooses a different path. Her own path since now she's Ahsoka the White.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:03 AM   #251
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Anakin stuff was masterful. That clone wars bit was better than the whole of Episode II.. I didn't care for that time period in the saga but those scenes made me want to go there again and explore it with younger Ahsoka and Anakin in live action.

Only complaint is the slow pace on the current timeline. Like omg just get to it!

Hayden showed some chops in this episode. That was redemption in more ways than one IMHO.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:50 AM   #252
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the key with these Star Wars spinoffs is to go into them with zero expectations. I didn't know anything about the Clone Wars Ahsoka and went in skeptical based on this thread but... I don't mind it?

Initial Mandalorian: no expectations, awesome.
Late Mandalorian: couldn't live up to its own legend, got cringey.
Bobba Fet: couldn't come close to living up to the expectations
Kenobi: too much hype, early episodes were disappointing, end was a bit stronger.
Andor: no expectations at all, THE BEST.
Ahsoka: low expectations, not minding it.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 02:36 AM   #253
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll do a re-watch later, but I'm not a fan of how the blaster bolts just exploded on the lightsabers as opposed to being deflected.

They're playing fast and loose with the rules!!

Old 09-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #254
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im going to assume by the lack of discussion on it that the interstellar space whales were part of The Clones Wars series?

Strongest episode of the series imo, and am definitely inspired now to watch Clones Wars. Seeing Anakin/Hayden with a lightsaber hit me in the feels pretty good.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #255
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The lightsaber battles are finally exciting!

Lets gooooo!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:10 AM   #256
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree, but I guess we'll see what Ahsoka the White is like.

Really enjoyed that episode, glad they didn't spend the episode in the World Between Worlds. I still don't really understand, was that really Anakin? I guess his force ghost?

Lots of great moments, good music.. If this was supposed to be character development for Ahsoka I guess I don't get why she's changing, Anakin wanted her to choose to live??

Still really enjoyed it, best episode by far so far.

They did a good job of de-aging Hayden, I didn't find it distracting and I usually do (The Indiana Jones movie for example). And I thought he did a good job in the episode.

And I couldn't help it, when young Ahsoka showed up I was totally:

EDIT: Thinking of it more, it's not that Anakin wanted her to chose to live, but to choose to live how she wants to live. She asked if all she was was a warrior. Anakin talks about what it means to be a Jedi changes with the times, and she can decide what she thinks is necessary, she's not bound to being a warrior, Anakin tells her she's more, just like he's more. And at the end she doesn't kill him, she chooses a different path. Her own path since now she's Ahsoka the White.
I had to go back and re watch all the Anakin/Ahsoka parts as well to really pay attention to what changed in her. I think you are right, it's Anakin showing Ahsoka that not only is she everything he is, and his masters before him, but she is more. She is growing past what he was and that is the whole point of the process.

Anakin is consumed by the hatred and anger that transformed him into Darth Vader, Ahsoka has a chance to match this and instead chooses not to, throwing away her light saber..

Spoiler!

"Perhaps there is hope for you yet..." says a smirking Anakin that has seen this move before.

Everything Ahsoka did in her past combined with the smugness of the Jedi Council was the reason she left and walked away. Anakin forced her to confront this past and deal with it. Yes she was responsible for death and destruction, yes she was a 'warrior' and a tool. But she was also much more than that. And her ability to see through the lines has already put her ahead of any other Jedi that is or ever was.

Upon contemplation it is very well done. And i don't mind that it is a bit of a thinker or requires some knowledge of the existing universe.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 09-13-2023 at 09:14 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #257
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My favorite episode yet. 10/10 for me. Anakin's saber skills are still there and his acting chops are improved as well. I absolutely LOVED the Clone Wars flash backs with younger Ahsoka.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 10:45 AM   #258
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lucasfillm just showed to itself that it needs a live action Clone Wars series.

I would've watched the #### out of the Clone Wars with young ahsoka in a live action format.

Too bad they've already done multiple animated seasons and probably wouldn't do it because it would be a retread.

The animation style was always just a bit cheesy and not engaging for me, with the different voice actors for characters we knew.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 09-13-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:31 AM   #259
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Incredible episode, so happy to see Hayden back as Anakin. I thought he delivered everything perfectly including the lightsaber scenes which were by far the best of the series so far.

I don't know if the Ahsoka show is going to be the place to get into all of the nerdy lore for this stuff, but it sure seems like Anakin in the World between Worlds is acting as the "Father" from the Mortis episodes in Clone Wars, showing that he's at peace in his role as the Chosen One who is perfectly balanced between light and dark.

I wonder if we will finally see the Jedi embrace both sides of the force moving forward, the way they used to way back in Legends. Anakin and Ezra are similar in that way, and it makes for more compelling characters IMO, seeing jedi tyring to walk that line. I can't wait for Thrawn/Ezra and the new galaxy in the next episode(s).

Episode 5 though was 11/10 for me. Give Dave Filoni the keys to Star Wars castle already, if he was in charge of the Obi-Wan-Kenobi show I wonder what it could have been.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 12:11 PM   #260
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Im going to assume by the lack of discussion on it that the interstellar space whales were part of The Clones Wars series?

Strongest episode of the series imo, and am definitely inspired now to watch Clones Wars. Seeing Anakin/Hayden with a lightsaber hit me in the feels pretty good.

the purrgil (space whales) are from the rebels series, not clone wars

Tags
star wars