Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #241
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, these last 2 or 3 Star Wars threads here start out with most people saying they liked the movie and accepted they had some flaws. Then by about page 4 or 5 it is the same few people posting on and on about how objectively bad the movies are and say it over and over until those are the only voices heard.

I'd consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan. I've seen all 11 of these movies in the first week they were in theaters, but I've never really gotten into them like some I guess. I've never used the word canon in reference to Star Wars movies! These last 3 have been good fun, and I've enjoyed that they existed and it's been great now bringing my kids to this last trilogy and they enjoyed all 3 quite a bit.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #242
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ah yes, the old "shut your brain off and enjoy the mindless spectacle" routine.

Might I recommend Michael Bay's "Transformers" movie series for you guys too? Lots of explosions and yelling and useless dialogue and characters you don't need to pay attention to, you'll love it.
And I enjoyed those too, because I knew going in they weren't going to be Shakespeare. If you enjoy over analyzing every detail, then have at er. I'm happy with mindless entertainment, it's a distraction from a ####ty life
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #243
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’ve never turned off my brain watching a movie, ever. The term “popcorn movie” should be banished from the English language.

And I thought it was amazing.

I have nothing against people who felt it was mindless entertainment but it is categorically incorrect to suggest that the only way anyone could enjoy this movie is to turn off their brain.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #244
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyment of a movie doesn't necessarily line up with quality of a movie. Or, it's possible to enjoy a bad movie.

For example, I really enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness, even though it's a bad movie. But I also don't go around telling people it's amazing or that I feel sorry for them not being able to mindlessly enjoy it.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #245
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
There were a lot of groaners in this movie. For example, when they rode the space horses onto the deck of the star destroyer
This was a huge "WTF" for me. So easily solved, too:

"Helm. Roll 90 degrees."

Problem solved.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #246
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I agree with Buff. I just go to these movies excited that there's more Star Wars. Ya they aren't perfect, Oscar worthy movies, but they just make me happy, and there's a real lack of that in the world these days. Being able to feel like a kid again is great, and I feel bad for those of you that can't just shut your brain off and enjoy it instead of over analyzing every tiny little detail of a fictional movie.
And I feel bad for you who consider "good story" as a little detail.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #247
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It's funny, these last 2 or 3 Star Wars threads here start out with most people saying they liked the movie and accepted they had some flaws. Then by about page 4 or 5 it is the same few people posting on and on about how objectively bad the movies are and say it over and over until those are the only voices heard.

I'd consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan. I've seen all 11 of these movies in the first week they were in theaters, but I've never really gotten into them like some I guess. I've never used the word canon in reference to Star Wars movies! These last 3 have been good fun, and I've enjoyed that they existed and it's been great now bringing my kids to this last trilogy and they enjoyed all 3 quite a bit.
How old are your kids? Mine are teenagers and they don't want to see this movie.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #248
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How old are your kids? Mine are teenagers and they don't want to see this movie.
I know adults who were teenagers when the original trilogy was out, and have never wanted to see them to this very day.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #249
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
11 and 13 year old boys. I tried to get them into the old movies when they were younger, but they didn't really care for them, but saw enough over the years that they enjoyed TFA and were excited for the next 2.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #250
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The wild power spike of force powers was eye rolling agreed, though keeping the ship from taking off isn't really out of line, Yoda pushed some of those huge droid troop landers into each other in the Clone Wars, and that transport was a lot smaller than those.

Force lightning an entire fleet of star ships was far more eye-rolling to me.

I guess we should be thankful there wasn't another movie, the next one a Jedi could just crumple the fleet of Star Destroyers like tinfoil balls with Force Crunch.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #251
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The wild power spike of force powers was eye rolling agreed, though keeping the ship from taking off isn't really out of line, Yoda pushed some of those huge droid troop landers into each other in the Clone Wars, and that transport was a lot smaller than those.

Force lightning an entire fleet of star ships was far more eye-rolling to me.

I guess we should be thankful there wasn't another movie, the next one a Jedi could just crumple the fleet of Star Destroyers like tinfoil balls with Force Crunch.
Agreed on both. Rey's use made sense, it was her going all out. The fleet force lightning was too much. As for the last comment, that was Force Unleashed. The force powers in that game were comical.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #252
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Saw it, liked it.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #253
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As for the last comment, that was Force Unleashed.
It was the Clone Wars animated series I was referring to, check out starting at 3:18, Yoda smashes together a couple of those huge H shaped droid landing craft:

Though I guess that was probably relegated to non-canon.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #254
photon

Exp:

Also an interesting article that talks about some stuff from the Visual Dictionary that tries to make sense of the whole Sith/Palpatine stuff.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/20...ne-wars-mortis
Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #255
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This was a huge "WTF" for me. So easily solved, too:

"Helm. Roll 90 degrees."

Problem solved.
When i saw this part in the trailer i groaned, in the movie it was ok though, they wer still in the planets atmosphere and basically in dock. Destroyers are massive and aren't going to be able to just roll in situ, especially when you add in atmosphere and gravity. I thought it actually worked.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #256
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Regarding the mega force lightning, my head cannon is that Exogol, and that temple specifically, is a dark side nexus through which Palps was able to channel the combined might of all sith that ever lived. And it wasn’t even the same as Rey’s, which actually blew the transport up on contact. It was diffuse enough to only temporarily disable systems.

Now that ground assault on the nav beacons on the other hand, makes no sense any way you look at it. The damn dish is exposed, on the outside of the destroyer and there’s no shields. What the hell are they doing landing on the thing and trying to disable it by hand instead of having Poe “I disarmed a Mandator IV by myself” Dameron do a quick flyby blast.

Generally the “space” battle was the most disappointing part of the movie for me. Thousands of ships on screen and you couldn’t really clearly see what was going on. I would have much preferred like a handful of SSDs slugging it out with a modestly larger fleet of janky resistance forces. Rogue One set the standard for space action and nothing has been able to come close since.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #257
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Also worth mentioning Palpatine had just absorbed the life force of the special Diad. Maybe that gave his lightning a boost.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #258
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Space horses on a star destroyer deck, how dare a space opera fantasy do something so outlandish. Terrible film!

Why cant they go back to the good old days of walking around in the belly of an asteroid worm in space? Far less groan-inducing.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #259
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Also worth mentioning Palpatine had just absorbed the life force of the special Diad. Maybe that gave his lightning a boost.
Yeah, I mean he did say specifically that it was something not seen for many generations.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #260
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

This was so much better than TLJ. Like holy ####, this movie makes me hate TLJ even more, what a mess that movie was.

JJ corrected the ship as much he could. I liked it in the end and I had already spoiled it for myself.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote