Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames add Iginla if the cost is reasonable?
Yes 357 50.78%
No 346 49.22%
Voters: 703. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #241
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
He might be a small upgrade on Chiasson, but I'd rather pursue a more viable upgrade than can be here for the long-term.

And what exactly do you propose we do to Brouwer if Iginla is brought in to replace him? You can't just dump a guy you just signed to a multi-year contract, for a slight temporary upgrade. Never mind that Troy Brouwer had 13 points in 20 game in the playoffs last year...he might not be totally as advertised, but at their respective positions in the league, I'd much rather take my chances with him in that role than Iginla.
Who said anything about getting rid of Brouwer?

I'd answer that by saying the only change I'd make is slotting Iggy in on the PP above him. Otherwise it adds depth.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Neither LA or Chicago were cinderella teams in my eyes. They were both quality teams either coasting or hiccuping their way through the season, but nobody ever looked them as also-rans once the playoffs started.

The reality is Cinderella teams don't win Cups. They might make noise, but they pretty much never win the whole thing. Once in a while you get good teams who go through bad stretches that make them seem less potent (not unlike like the Pens), but in the end the cream pretty much always rises to the top. The 04 Flames/06 Oilers type teams almost never, if ever, win.
Are the 2017 Flames a "Cinderella team"? By what metric?

To my eye this is a very good team with some flaws: youth and inconsistency and occasionally spotty goaltending have been issues all year. But the Flames are a top-third team in possession, and on the power play, and are middle-third in the penalty kill, goals scored and goals against.

I would say the 2017 Flames are more closely comparable to the 2012 LA Kings or the 2015 Chicago Blackhawks than they are to the 2004 Flames or 2006 Oilers. That is to say that I don't expect them to win a championship this year, but I also don't expect them to get run over by any team. The 2017 Flames are a highly competitive team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #243
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I voted no because I think he wouldn't be an upgrade on any player on the roster in the top 9 and he isn't a 4th line player.

But if he did come back I'll whip out the old Iggy jersey and cheer him on just as hard as I did before he left.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #244
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Neither LA or Chicago were cinderella teams. They were both quality teams either coasting or hiccuping their way through the season, but nobody ever looked them as also-rans once the playoffs started.

The reality is Cinderella teams don't win Cups. They might make noise, but they pretty much never win. Once in a while you get good teams who go through bad stretches that make them seem less potent (not unlike like the Pens), but in the end the cream pretty much always rises to the top. The 04 Flames/06 Oilers type teams don't win cups.
This isn't a Cinderella team. They've been hanging around the playoff picture all year while having PLENTY of hiccups of their own.

This is the former, a quality team that has hiccuped it's way to this point. The way the Flames have played, the way they've been talked about here, you'd think we were dead last, not holding down a playoff spot for most of the season.

We're in the 2nd wildcard position when most things have gone poorly. Gaudreau has been average to bad, Elliott just figured out how to play goal a month ago, Brodie is lost, Wideman was our 4th defenceman two weeks ago...

This isn't a Cinderella team. If Gaudreau catches fire, or Elliott finally returns to form, or Brodie suddenly puts it back together? We stand a good chance of going far. If none of those things happen and we just play out the stretch the same way we've been playing lately, then we make the playoffs.

This team has been as infected with "hiccups" as teams get and we're still right there.

Show me why this team is different than the 8th place LA team that won? They were steady around 8th or lower most of the season, including being out of the playoffs on Feb 24.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #245
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he was traded for like a 6th I wouldn't mind, otherwise nooo.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #246
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
You're still not getting it.

You have no idea how many teams will come after him. You were speaking as though he has his pick of every team and that isn't anywhere close to a certainty. It's flat out unlikely given his age and the cap situation of these top teams (many who have just made a move like Chicago and Anaheim).

I'm saying that anyone who is tossing out a blanketed "He won't want to come to Calgary because he'll be looking to join a cup favourite" is off base. There aren't nearly going to be as many options among the top, favoured teams as there were when he was leaving Calgary the first time.

I think at this point with how Calgary's looking in their last ten games, it's an attractive landing spot given how tight the market is with respect to teams looking to add a player of that age / status.
What are you talking about?! He is going to aim for the team he and his agent think has the best chance of winning that wants him. No doubt about it.

And nope. I don't think he has pick of every team. It probably won't be a big market for him. But if he choses calgary amongst even a few teams, I think he is going to be clinical about it vs some nostalgic reason.

I see history kind of repeating.....he is going to tell sakic the few teams he wants to go to, and Sakic will try his best to get him there even if the return isn't great. Otherwise iggy won't waive.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #247
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I would say the 2017 Flames are more closely comparable to the 2012 LA Kings or the 2015 Chicago Blackhawks than they are to the 2004 Flames or 2006 Oilers. That is to say that I don't expect them to win, but I also don't expect them to get run over by any team. The 2017 Flames are a highly competitive team.
While I agree we are not the Flames from 2004, I'd say we'd qualify a Cinderella team. Calgary has a lot of great pieces, but we still have too many holes on this team to be a contender. Our goaltending is questionable, our 1st line is inconsistent, our coaching can be suspect, and frankly, sometimes our chemistry and work ethic is downright atrocious.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #248
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Show me why this team is different than the 8th place LA team that won?
Simply, this team doesn't have a Jonathan Quick (or Kipper) to gloss over mistakes.

That, and a Sutter to will them through to greatness.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #249
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
While I agree we are not the Flames from 2004, I'd say we'd qualify a Cinderella team. Calgary has a lot of great pieces, but we still have too many holes on this team to be a contender. Our goaltending is questionable, our 1st line is inconsistent, our coaching can be suspect, and frankly, sometimes our chemistry and work ethic is downright atrocious.

There are more options for characterizing a playoff team than merely as a "Cinderella" or a "contender," and the 2017 Flames are clearly not either of these. They are a competitive team who could win more than a round or two in the playoffs.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #250
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There are more options for characterizing a playoff team than merely as a "Cinderella" or a "contender," and the 2017 Flames are clearly not either of these. They are a competitive team who could win more than a round or two in the playoffs.
I disagree. It depends on the seed. If come game 82 the Flames are in the 8th seed after missing the playoffs last year with a young team, they fully qualify as "Cinderella Story" when the puck drops during the post season. This characterization would be solidified with an upset victory in the first round.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #251
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Simply, this team doesn't have a Jonathan Quick (or Kipper) to gloss over mistakes.

That, and a Sutter to will them through to greatness.

I guess we won't know until it happens—or it doesn't.

In 2012 there was or much reason to hold such lofty expectations of Jonathan Quick or Darryl Sutter either.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #252
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What are you talking about?! He is going to aim for the team he and his agent think has the best chance of winning that wants him. No doubt about it.

And nope. I don't think he has pick of every team. It probably won't be a big market for him. But if he choses calgary amongst even a few teams, I think he is going to be clinical about it vs some nostalgic reason.

I see history kind of repeating.....he is going to tell sakic the few teams he wants to go to, and Sakic will try his best to get him there even if the return isn't great. Otherwise iggy won't waive.

Outside of may the Pens or Hawks, it's a complete crapshoot. And those teams won't likely be looking to add him.

So like I said in my first reply to you: Iggy's already tried going to the top favorite when he had his pick. Now he doesn't, and the number of teams likely looking to bring him in are small in number. So if Calgary is interested, I think he'll view us as having just as realistic a shot as most.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #253
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Holy carp! Votes are 134 - 134.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #254
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

This talk of playoffs and winning rounds is giving me superstitious anxiety
Old 02-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #255
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I disagree. It depends on the seed. If come game 82 the Flames are in the 8th seed after missing the playoffs last year with a young team, they fully qualify as "Cinderella Story" when the puck drops during the post season. This characterization would be solidified with an upset victory in the first round.

I reject the notion that every 8th seed to win a playoff round is a "Cinderella story." This label should be reserved for below average NHL teams who overcome expectations to make the playoffs, and who win a series in which they are grossly outclassed on paper. The Flames match up fairly well with nearly every team in the League. If they win a round it should not come as a huge surprise.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #256
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Oilers are interested in acquiring Iginla then I would be in favor of bringing back Iginla just so we don't have to watch him go on a run with the Oilers. But if they're not interested then I would not either. We already spent a 3rd and a potential 5th for a rental defenseman which was way more important than another forward.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #257
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i said yes... though the cost would have be reasonable, and in my mind, that's no higher than a 5th round pick.

He's old, definitely, but even old guys can get return to the Fountain of Youth during the playoffs because of adrenaline and because it could be a short run...

i can see why people wouldn't want to trade for him too... but the real question is whether Iggy would want to come back to calgary rather than somewhere that is a lock for the playoffs?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #258
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a 5th rounder and as a PP right handed shot, sure.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #259
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Outside of may the Pens or Hawks, it's a complete crapshoot. And those teams won't likely be looking to add him.

So like I said in my first reply to you: Iggy's already tried going to the top favorite when he had his pick. Now he doesn't, and the number of teams likely looking to bring him in are small in number. So if Calgary is interested, I think he'll view us as having just as realistic a shot as most.

I don't bet on sports, but you make me want to. So let's ignore your pens and hawks. I'll take Ducks and Washington to be in finals. You take Columbus and Calgary if they make it since it's a crap shoot and all.

And why are the number of teams likely looking to bring him in small in number? There you go not making sense again. It's the cost to acquire him that matters. Not whether he is at top of his game or the final inning. If the asking price is a 6th rounder and Colorado keeps half of salary or takes salary back, you don't think he has several teams after him? Wake up
Old 02-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #260
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone claiming the Flames would not be a Cinderella team if they find playoffs success is drinking some kool-aid. They've been in the bottom third of the league in points per game for most of the season. They have not given contenders anything to be particularly intimidated by.

I'll gladly cheer for them as a Cinderella team if they make it to the playoffs.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bringhomejarome , gaudreau to iginla , iggy iggy iggy , oi oi oi! , yeah baby!