Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Brad Treliving has done a good job in his 2.5 seasons in Calgary?
Yes 664 86.46%
No 104 13.54%
Voters: 768. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #241
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Hartley wasn't all-out offensively IMO. He played well within his assets. He had a young and unskilled team and needed to keep the fans engaged in a rebuild. In terms of not being able to take that style deep into the playoffs, his Stanley Cup would certainly prove otherwise. And in terms of career-years, Brodie and Giordano and Monahan are actually worse defensively. Hartley instilled confidence into those players, and in turn, allowed them to get excited at both ends of the rink.

It's hard to get excited about a system that won't score 5-on-5, come back from being down goals, and therefore its hard to buy-in to the defensive side as well
That is true, he did have the Stanley Cup. I guess we were just two all-world centers, a top 3 goalie of all time and two HoF caliber d-men away from a cup. Oh, and a completely different era.

Shoulda kept him.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #242
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The real problem is the ownership of the team. The guy is very difficult to deal with. Not very many people that work with or around him have respect or anything positive to say. Lot of people end up chewing their arms off not hang out with him.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #243
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The real problem is the ownership of the team. The guy is very difficult to deal with. Not very many people that work with or around him have respect or anything positive to say. Lot of people end up chewing their arms off not hang out with him.
Uh, what?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #244
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Only clown shows like the Oilers were prior to the Chiarelli hire, change GM's after 3 seasons of a complete rebuild.

If the Flames follow this path, then you might as well get used to the suckage we have seen up North for over a decade.

I want no part of that myself.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #245
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring him back. Don't be stupid
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #246
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Hartley may have actually hurt the Flames cap situation.

We're paying for Gaudreau, Giordano and Monahan's career seasons right now when in fact they might be substantially inflated by a wide open style that is not conducive to long term success.
Is so, shouldn't Brad Treliving have known that when he signed their lucrative long term contracts?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #247
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I believe mods have to change the title and I'm fine with it if some of you really want it. I think if you actually listen to the interview most would agree that Elliot is letting the cat out of the bag today. Even the 960 guys were giddy over their big morning of news.

I heard the whole thing as well and i got a completely different vibe from it.

I got the feeling that Elliot is flabergasted that the Flames would allow Tre to get to this point in the season without an extension (because "no other teams would operate this way") but also stated that the Flames have been operating this way for some time now. He just didnt think it would apply to the GM which is why he said that making the playoffs isnt a guarentee to be back.

as for letting the "cat out of the bag"...he stated the same thing on the same show last week. This isnt new information.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #248
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only move Treliving has made which I hated was his very first: Bollig for a 3rd. That being said, Bollig served a purpose and was a big influence in the dressing room when the team lacked an identity and needed some veteran influence.

Since then I'd say he's done a very good job. The drafting has been great (though it's been great since Feaster took Sutter's muzzle off Todd Button and let him run the show). Picking up Dougie Hamilton was a move which could eventually go down in history as one of the best this club has made. The contracts he's negotiated have gradually improved.

He's been thoughtful, clear-headed, conservative and I like the general direction of the team. Firing Hartley was risky, but I don't think his philosophy meshed with the puck possession game Treliving wanted to establish so that we can compete with the Big Boys. GG deserves more time to establish his game and rapport with the players.

Unless the Flames brass have their eyes on some God-like GM who they're planning on poaching this summer I will be very disappointed if we lose BT.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #249
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The sky might not be falling and they might just be working on the contract extension.

Treliving didn't wanna talk about it to Friedman because of course he wouldn't.

This seems like the most likely course of action.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #250
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I have to admit I am surprised that Elliot's work here is being questioned. To me he seems like a credible reporter who does his research and is thoughtful in what he says.

Maybe treliving hates the weather here, or the carbon tax, or the NDP and he wants to leave
Huh? No one questioned his word, if you read along. What was questioned was the thread starter's interpretation of Elliot's words and the thread title he came up with.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #251
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does crap always surface when the Flames are about to play Toronto?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #252
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Why does crap always surface when the Flames are about to play Toronto?
Because that's the only time East Coast reporters pay any attention to the Flames.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #253
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a note on the continually re-hashed Hartley/Gulutzan discussion:

2014-2015 was an absolute anomaly. Last year is more representative of the results you will get with Hartley's system and this roster.

In retrospect, getting rid of Hartley was the right move. The book is still out on whether Gulutzan was the right choice for a replacement now and into the future. However, to say Bob was a qualitatively better coach because he was emotional is absurd.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #254
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I have to admit I am surprised that Elliot's work here is being questioned. To me he seems like a credible reporter who does his research and is thoughtful in what he says.

Maybe treliving hates the weather here, or the carbon tax, or the NDP and he wants to leave
This might be the craziest theory I've ever heard. And I'm the guy who suggested the conspiracy that Burke secretly plotted a scheme to take over as GM by hiring a rookie fall guy. Even with the Carbon tax, Albertans are still one of the lowest taxed citizens in North America.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #255
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I generally like Freidman, but this one seems like a massive stretch. From my take of the interview, all he really said factually is that BT's contract is done at the end of the year. BT didn't want to talk about it. Then, in speaking with those outside the organization, they thought that was really weird: most would either extend during the year or get canned. Strange, maybe but it doesn't mean BT walks or isn't extended. For all we know, they are negotiating or agreed to negotiate at the end of the year. Wouldn't be out of character for BT to keep this under wraps.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #256
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That is true, he did have the Stanley Cup. I guess we were just two all-world centers, a top 3 goalie of all time and two HoF caliber d-men away from a cup. Oh, and a completely different era.

Shoulda kept him.
Well under Hartley, Monahan was an all-world centre, and Giordano and Brodie was the best D-pairing in the league. So all Harley needed was Backlund or Bennett to be good at centre and a good goalie (ie, not Hiller or Ramo).

If you're going to belittle the man's resume, let's not forget the Championship Avs were also the sad Nordiques just before they won the Cup under Hartley's leadership. Likewise, he took a garbage team in its 2nd year of rebuild to the semi finals. I wonder how that would've looked with Hamilton, Brouwer, Elliot, Johnson and Tkachuk against the Ducks. Hartley proved he can win with this current era. He did that when the miracle that was a rebuilding Flames exceeded all expectations.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #257
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hartley built a system around the players he had to work with.

Gulaztson builds a system regardless of the players he has to work with.

I'll take Hartley's system with an active blueline and average goaltending.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #258
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Just a note on the continually re-hashed Hartley/Gulutzan discussion:

2014-2015 was an absolute anomaly. Last year is more representative of the results you will get with Hartley's system and this roster.

In retrospect, getting rid of Hartley was the right move. The book is still out on whether Gulutzan was the right choice for a replacement now and into the future. However, to say Bob was a qualitatively better coach because he was emotional is absurd.

I think 2015/16 was the anomaly. The tail end of 2013/14 you could see how well the team was playing, which carried over to 2014/15. Gio, Brodie, Johnny, Mony all excelled under Hartley. Even in 2015/16 they all put up good numbers despite not a lot of W's. Hamilton as well. 2015/16 was a tire fire due to league worst goaltending. Gulutzan is barely outpacing Hartley's worst year and he's had the benefit of all world goaltending for 6 weeks. This team would be further ahead if Hartley was given another year with adequate goaltending.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #259
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
That would be a huge and idiotic mistake!!
Meh, he has had enough time. This team needs to show some huge improvement down the stretch. It starts with his coaching pick.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #260
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Only clown shows like the Oilers were prior to the Chiarelli hire, change GM's after 3 seasons of a complete rebuild.

If the Flames follow this path, then you might as well get used to the suckage we have seen up North for over a decade.

I want no part of that myself.
That's of of those "alternative facts" that's been repeated so many times that most people believe it. This is year 4 of the rebuild.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote