Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 07:43 AM   #241
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I have zero faith Makar will become a Flame. It's fun to joke about but he's a franchise player and IMO he'll never reach free agency. The Avs will lock him to an 8 year extension before he even plays a game on the final year of his current deal.
That is fair but I do see a situation where the Avs are not looking to be super competitive in that timeframe and the Flames may have the ability to offer a strong up and coming team, with a shiny new building and the lure of playing for his hometown. It’s a long shot but a dream worth believing if you ask me
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:47 AM   #242
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Treliving was the GM. The main guy that built this team.
They are bottom feeder , needing a major rebuild

But it’s not his fault. Nice
I think there's a happy resting place between everything is Treliving's fault and nothing is.

If you tee up one over the top view you're bound to get the opposite extreme.

Things should have gone better last year ... nothing went right. But no GM in the league is going to be able to keep free agents that don't want to play in Canada or don't want to play in the Saddledome.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:52 AM   #243
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wouldn't trade Kuz until next deadline anyhow. Feed him lots of minutes and PP1 time and he is going to score a lot of goals, you will get a significant rental return at the deadline if he is on pace for 30-40 goals or more.
I would argue early February or during 4 Nations break might be the maximum return if this year was any indication. Kuz at the deadline would probably return something like Toffoli did (2nd and a 3rd).
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:54 AM   #244
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I would argue early February or during 4 Nations break might be the maximum return if this year was any indication. Kuz at the deadline would probably return something like Toffoli did (2nd and a 3rd).
I suspect we will be underwhelmed for the returns for next year's UFA crop (Mangiapane & Kuzmenko) next deadline. Both wingers, both slightly overpaid.

Toffoli has a better pedigree and a cheaper salary and returned a 2nd/3rd with retention. I understand the idea of pumping both players up and dumping at their peak, but Toffoli was pumped this year and didn't return a haul.

I think the best time to move them would be this summer when the cap goes up and teams miss out on UFAs. I would be happy to get a 2nd for either, but am not optimistic.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 10:33 AM   #245
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think there's a happy resting place between everything is Treliving's fault and nothing is.

Things should have gone better last year ... nothing went right. But no GM in the league is going to be able to keep free agents that don't want to play in Canada or don't want to play in the Saddledome.
My belief is:

- Treliving built a very good team while he was here, a legit contender

- The summer of 2022 gutted that team

- Treliving’s fatal flaw was not starting a re-tool then and getting younger. Maybe not his choice, maybe it was

- The mess the team was left in all goes back to that summer, changed the entire trajectory of the team
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM   #246
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
My belief is:

- Treliving’s fatal flaw was not starting a re-tool then and getting younger. Maybe not his choice, maybe it was

- The mess the team was left in all goes back to that summer, changed the entire trajectory of the team
Rational!

If the GM and/or the organization put off the rebuild I agree, that was the opportunity.

Especially with the number of UFAs slated for the 23/24 season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 11:43 AM   #247
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Yes, of course. He had his moment. Took a big swing and miss.

But at the end of the day, the state of the team today is exactly on Treliving but nobody else for whatever reasons
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:48 AM   #248
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Yes, of course. He had his moment. Took a big swing and miss.

But at the end of the day, the state of the team today is exactly on Treliving but nobody else for whatever reasons
Who is arguing otherwise?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:28 PM   #249
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My belief is:

It's tough to gauge what they actually were because they had a few great seasons and a few terrible seasons. They always flip flopped. It's tough to know what they actually were. They seemed like a good team but not a legit contender.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:42 PM   #250
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My belief is:

I wonder if Gaudreau tracks the news of all these Flames mainstays leaving and thinks to himself about how his decision to leave is what set it all off.

More or less, that's what started the chain reaction that led us to where we are now.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:16 PM   #251
Vinsta13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I wonder if Gaudreau tracks the news of all these Flames mainstays leaving and thinks to himself about how his decision to leave is what set it all off.

More or less, that's what started the chain reaction that led us to where we are now.
Gaudreau leaving was a blessing in disguise. I believe we weren’t going to win the cup with a core of Lindholm, Gaudreau and Chucky. We had too many up/down seasons with no real depth (as we are seeing now). I believe if they stayed we would have continued to be a mediocre/middle of the ground team and not drafting low enough to get an elite player to compliment the 3. That core did not have the strength to beat an Avalanche, or Vegas team.

I believe Conroy has a chance to do this right and add a few elite players from the draft while still having veteran players to help the “retool”. We lucked out with Gaudreau in the 4th round, let’s find another bigger, younger and more elite Gaudreau in the top 10 of the draft (hopefully a centre).
Baby Got Backlund

Last edited by Vinsta13; 03-11-2024 at 11:19 PM.
Vinsta13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:31 PM   #252
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

I think the only thing Gaudreau tracks now is family things. That drive and passion he had while here is just gone now.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 11:50 PM   #253
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’m pumped the Flames finally decided to rebuild. It’s what I’d been hoping for for a couple years and they finally came around. I really look forward to watching them draft and build a contender.

As we learnt in ‘04, it’s way more fun cheering for a team with low / no expectations than to expect things and be disappointed when it doesn’t happen. I believe the way that ‘04 team came together had a lot to do with expectations being wildly surpassed, especially after such a long playoff drought and then to win that first round. The city exploded, and with that, the momentum, energy, enthusiasm and enormous fan support was a critical factor to that teams success as well.

With a rebuild, I think we’re back on that track. With a salary cap era and in a small market Canadian city with suboptimal climate and competing with cities like Vegas, Miami, New York, Boston, LA, Nashville, etc.- Calgary is an uphill battle to sell to players. So I think you basically have to have cost control through drafting star players and we’re finally on that track.

Feels good that the team finally “gets it”.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 12:41 AM   #254
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I suspect we will be underwhelmed for the returns for next year's UFA crop (Mangiapane & Kuzmenko) next deadline. Both wingers, both slightly overpaid.

Toffoli has a better pedigree and a cheaper salary and returned a 2nd/3rd with retention. I understand the idea of pumping both players up and dumping at their peak, but Toffoli was pumped this year and didn't return a haul.

I think the best time to move them would be this summer when the cap goes up and teams miss out on UFAs. I would be happy to get a 2nd for either, but am not optimistic.
Yegor as well... UFA after next season. I think the team should probably try to move Markstrom and Mangiapane at the draft before UFA's eat up other teams cap space. Kuzmenko might have to wait until the TDL.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 12:50 AM   #255
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsta13 View Post
Gaudreau leaving was a blessing in disguise. I believe we weren’t going to win the cup with a core of Lindholm, Gaudreau and Chucky. We had too many up/down seasons with no real depth (as we are seeing now). I believe if they stayed we would have continued to be a mediocre/middle of the ground team and not drafting low enough to get an elite player to compliment the 3. That core did not have the strength to beat an Avalanche, or Vegas team.

I believe Conroy has a chance to do this right and add a few elite players from the draft while still having veteran players to help the “retool”. We lucked out with Gaudreau in the 4th round, let’s find another bigger, younger and more elite Gaudreau in the top 10 of the draft (hopefully a centre).
I have a feeling you’re not going to find an elite player where the Flames are going to be drafting.

I don’t disagree with everything else that you said.

Last edited by Goriders; 03-12-2024 at 12:53 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:29 AM   #256
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m pumped the Flames finally decided to rebuild. It’s what I’d been hoping for for a couple years and they finally came around. I really look forward to watching them draft and build a contender.

As we learnt in ‘04, it’s way more fun cheering for a team with low / no expectations than to expect things and be disappointed when it doesn’t happen. I believe the way that ‘04 team came together had a lot to do with expectations being wildly surpassed, especially after such a long playoff drought and then to win that first round. The city exploded, and with that, the momentum, energy, enthusiasm and enormous fan support was a critical factor to that teams success as well.

With a rebuild, I think we’re back on that track. With a salary cap era and in a small market Canadian city with suboptimal climate and competing with cities like Vegas, Miami, New York, Boston, LA, Nashville, etc.- Calgary is an uphill battle to sell to players. So I think you basically have to have cost control through drafting star players and we’re finally on that track.

Feels good that the team finally “gets it”.
That was a rough 7 seasons, and if it wasn’t for Kipper would have been a lot longer.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:15 AM   #257
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That is fair but I do see a situation where the Avs are not looking to be super competitive in that timeframe and the Flames may have the ability to offer a strong up and coming team, with a shiny new building and the lure of playing for his hometown. It’s a long shot but a dream worth believing if you ask me
I really have no idea if Makar would like to play for his hometown, but I have doubts about Calgary being a strong up and coming team in 3 years, especially if they plan to do a retool.

Who is the core in 3 years?

Calgary likely needs to go down before they go up. I am not certain they’ve hit bottom yet.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:24 AM   #258
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I really have no idea if Makar would like to play for his hometown, but I have doubts about Calgary being a strong up and coming team in 3 years, especially if they plan to do a retool.

Calgary likely needs to go down before they go up. I am not certain they’ve hit bottom yet.
They’re rebuilding now. If they aren’t up and coming in 3 years then it’s unlikely they will be unless they rebuild again.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:29 AM   #259
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

If you squint (and get a bit of good luck) it's not completely inconceivable that by the time the '26 season rolls around you could be on the upswing with a solid foundation.

Draft high the next two years, try to sign a "hometown" guy like Konecny if he's available after '25, and don't make any foolish UFA signings otherwise of guys that aren't real needle movers that have outsized cap hits relative to impacts.

Emerge with asset base of:
2024 top 10 pick, top 30 pick
2025 top 10 pick
Zary
Coronato
Pelletier
Honzek
Wolf
Poirier? Bruz?
Two firsts in '26

And an older veteran group including some of
*Konency
Sharangovich
Huberdeau
Kadri
Coleman
Backlund
Weegar
Kylington

Last edited by prizefighterinferno; 03-12-2024 at 08:45 AM.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 08:31 AM   #260
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My belief is:

Treliving built a team which alternated between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs. Very middle of the pack
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good