Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #241
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I agree with the limits but $1000 is pretty low. If you kept it that low at the riding level I don't think we would see very many opposition parties running legitimate campaigns. If you are in power it is easy (relatively) to find 50 business men to donate $1000 a piece. That would be enough to run a decent campaign with lawn signs, some larger signs, an office, rent a few halls for speaking events, send out a single letter to your riding, maybe a few radio spots and of course robo calls. For someone who is running a long shot campaign though it is a lot harder to identify supporters and convince them to give you a few bucks. More likely the majority of your donations will come from yourself, a few relatives and a friend or two. If you are limited to $1000 a piece you will have no way to get your name out there and will instead spend the entire campaign trying to find people to donate money to you.

The current maximum that a candidate can take in is $3000 in an election year. $1000 before the writ is dropped (to the CA) and $2000 after. This means that a married person can finance a bare bones campaign with a donation from herself, her husband and her mother. you won't run radio ads, but you will get your name and idea out there. The alternative is a complete steamroll by the party in power and possibly one runner up party.
I can see your point too. Katz's donation though shows that the is really no limit on donations and something should be changed. I think that the loophole that allows you to donate for your employees or family should be eliminated. Political parties should be able to do more with less. Ban robocalls and make them do it the old fashioned way and doorknock. There is no reason political campaigns should be allowed to get as expensive as they do. The American election donations will probably go over $2,000,000,000. You'd think there is a better way to spend 2 billion in the states right now.

Last edited by Stranger; 10-27-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #242
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chief electoral officer to probe Katz donations to PCs

Quote:
Alberta's chief electoral officer is launching an investigation into donations made to the Progressive Conservative party by the owner of the Edmonton Oilers, Daryl Katz.

"The allegations are that the thresholds of $30,000 have been exceeded by one individual and the election filings that we've received in our office from the political parties indicate that those contributions were receipted for individuals associated with this one person," said Elections Alberta spokesman Drew Westwater.

"We've determined that there's enough issues and concerns around the source of the donations that have been made to the party that we will launch an investigation and look into the facts of the matter to see if the allegations are true or not."
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #243
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what happens if they find there was impropriety?

Fine?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #244
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
So what happens if they find there was impropriety?

Fine?
Law says there can be fines equal to the violation or jail time. ( I don't recall the parameters)

I'm not aware of any jail term ever being applied.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #245
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fines are sort of unfortunate. It is pretty easy for the government in power to raise the money to pay the fine. The public censure would probably hurt more. My guess is that the worst case outcome for the PC's is that they aren't fined but are instead asked to return some of the money that was improperly received. Katz can then gift the money to his colleagues and they can give it back to the PC's with the whole thing now above board.

This should be a clear sign that we need to lower the maximum contribution limits.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #246
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Fines are sort of unfortunate. It is pretty easy for the government in power to raise the money to pay the fine. The public censure would probably hurt more. My guess is that the worst case outcome for the PC's is that they aren't fined but are instead asked to return some of the money that was improperly received. Katz can then gift the money to his colleagues and they can give it back to the PC's with the whole thing now above board.

This should be a clear sign that we need to lower the maximum contribution limits.
I agree. On your personal tax return you hit max benefit at the $2300.00 mark.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #247
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Globe and Mail now linking the entire $430,000 to Katz et al.

All of $430,000 donation to Alberta PCs now linked to Katz associates

That sounds so familiar.....

oh yeah, that's right I blogged on that last Friday.

Herding Katz; The $130,000.00 Question

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #248
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's getting worse for Katz and the PCs. He may no longer actually be a resident of Alberta, which would make the entire donation illegal:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/11/01/m...ion-headaches/

Though, as Cosh notes, even if he is now a Vancouver resident, the PCs will make sure they fudge the meaning of the wording to keep it all kosher.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #249
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as I would like to, I doubt you can blame the PC's for not knowing that he was or was not an ordinary resident of Alberta.

It is pretty odd that the PC party didn't admit to the full amount when it first came out. They must know that the connections would be made and it will always look better to admit it in advance.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #250
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I've already lost track of how many times Redford has feigned ignorance at what her party is doing. False dichonomy that it is, the two most plausible explanations for it are that she is either lying or she is incompetent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #251
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I've already lost track of how many times Redford has feigned ignorance at what her party is doing. False dichonomy that it is, the two most plausible explanations for it are that she is either lying or she is incompetent.
Or planned plausible deniability orchestrated by her staff?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #252
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out lying to cover up her incompetence.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #253
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lying, she isn't stupid.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #254
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Meh. I think she is pretty much stupid. She should claim stupidity too, otherwise it makes her look even worse.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #255
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

She can't handle the role of being Premier of Alberta and is losing control of her party and all the dealings that are going on behind the scene. Claiming ignorance is only hiding the fact she doesn't know what her people are doing.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #256
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
She can't handle the role of being Premier of Alberta and is losing control of her party and all the dealings that are going on behind the scene. Claiming ignorance is only hiding the fact she doesn't know what her people are doing.
There are rumors of some internal turmoil, to the point of split factions.

... then again there are those same rumors of the Wildrose too.

Both parties are having AGM's this month. Fun times for political geeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #257
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't read any of the most recent articles or anything, so maybe this is answered there, but does Katz personally have to be a resident here if the business is here?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #258
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I haven't read any of the most recent articles or anything, so maybe this is answered there, but does Katz personally have to be a resident here if the business is here?
For businesses they must conduct business in Alberta.

For individuals they must ordinarily reside in Alberta.

He has received tax receipts for both his business and for himself personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #259
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
There are rumors of some internal turmoil, to the point of split factions.

... then again there are those same rumors of the Wildrose too.

Both parties are having AGM's this month. Fun times for political geeks.
I'm sure there are some fiscally conservative members of the PCs that would like to split away from the party. Getting together with the Wildrose would help the WR gain a bigger foothold.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #260
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
For businesses they must conduct business in Alberta.

For individuals they must ordinarily reside in Alberta.

He has received tax receipts for both his business and for himself personally.
Thats what I thought. So basically the entire donation could still be legit...just distasteful.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote