Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #241
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Yup, the terrorism definition changed after 9/11.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #242
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Terrorism is such a loaded term its kind of hilarious how compartmentalized we treat various violence against people. The only real terrorists are Muslims that attack each other or white people, everything else doesn't fall into our definition. Murdering illegal immigrants doesn't classify as terrorism I guess. Neither does kidnapping or murder for political reasons like in South America.
FARC is classified and treated as a terrorist group. Lots of south American groups are. I guess they don't pose much of a threat outside the Columbian jungle though. I'd rather be nabbed by those guys than ISIS that's for sure.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #243
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

FARC doesn't actually kidnap people anymore, as far as I know. Maybe that's naive? Anyway, my understanding was when they did it was for ransom.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #244
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I assume you mean the fight between Rohingya muslims vs Burmese buddhists?

From my understanding the buddhists are fighting them because they are illegal immigrants from Bangladash...hardly terrorism.
Fighting them is not the terminology I'd use for what is happening. If what's happening there isn't terrorism I'd like to know what you think terrorism is.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #245
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Fighting them is not the terminology I'd use for what is happening. If what's happening there isn't terrorism I'd like to know what you think terrorism is.
Well they're not shouting "Allahu Akbar", so it can't be terrorism right?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #246
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody has said radical Islamicists are the only people who carry out terrorism. They're just the ones carrying out the overwhelming number of mass acts of terrorism around the globe in the last 20 years. I still don't understand how people can pretend otherwise, except as some kind of a 'yeah but they do it too' schoolground finger-pointing. This is way too serious of an issue to play dumb games like like.

Here's the wikipedia list of fatal terrorist attacks. Go to the column on the right and filter by date, most recent at top. Then look at the political ideology column and scroll down over the last 20 years.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #247
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14090

Bombing at gay pride event in Brazil yesterday. Latin American terrorism? Impossible, there's no Muslims there!

Again, organizations like Al-Qaeda have lots of money with which to support terrorism in the West, due to their backers having all kinds of oil money around, with which to import slaves to build skyscrapers and malls, buy military hardware from Canada, and fund some fundies. That's why these particular lunatics are so visible and successful. If you want to stop ISIS and its ilk, your best path is end world reliance on oil, not pontificate about how "Islam"* is to blame.

To be clear, I think religion is a mostly negative force in the world and I am a fervent, if not militant, atheist. But one of those liberal values that CHL and CliffFletcher tout is freedom of religion, and I agree with those values even when I know that this particular freedom is dangerous and open to abuse. Further, being a Muslim or a Christian or a Buddhist or whatever is irrelevant to how I perceive you as a person, just like being an atheist doesn't endear certain intolerant and bigoted people - even on this very board - to me.

*What is "Islam" anyway? That was my main original point, it's far too broad a term to really mean anything useful as far as tracing causes of events. If someone said "This particular group of Wahhabi Muslims subscribe to the teachings of this particular cleric who advocates violent terrorist action, and that's a problem", well, I would agree with that, provided it was true. When you say "Islam" this, or "Muslim" that, you are almost certainly about to frame a statement as "Us vs. Them", and that is exactly the thinking that creates the terrorism you claim to abhor.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #248
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody ever said terrorism doesn't exist in those parts of the world, but it is less prevalent.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #249
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Nobody has said radical Islamicists are the only people who carry out terrorism. They're just the ones carrying out the overwhelming number of mass acts of terrorism around the globe in the last 20 years. I still don't understand how people can pretend otherwise, except as some kind of a 'yeah but they do it too' schoolground finger-pointing. This is way too serious of an issue to play dumb games like like.

Here's the wikipedia list of fatal terrorist attacks. Go to the column on the right and filter by date, most recent at top. Then look at the political ideology column and scroll down over the last 20 years.
Filter it by region and you have a vast majority occurring in the Iraq/Syria/Afghanistan region. Basically the most war torn and poverty stricken regions.

Do you think the Muslim victims of those attacks blame their own faith?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #250
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Filter it by region and you have a vast majority occurring in the Iraq/Syria/Afghanistan region. Basically the most war torn and poverty stricken regions.

Yes. Yes they do
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #251
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14090

Bombing at gay pride event in Brazil yesterday. Latin American terrorism? Impossible, there's no Muslims there!

Again, organizations like Al-Qaeda have lots of money with which to support terrorism in the West, due to their backers having all kinds of oil money around, with which to import slaves to build skyscrapers and malls, buy military hardware from Canada, and fund some fundies. That's why these particular lunatics are so visible and successful. If you want to stop ISIS and its ilk, your best path is end world reliance on oil, not pontificate about how "Islam"* is to blame.

To be clear, I think religion is a mostly negative force in the world and I am a fervent, if not militant, atheist. But one of those liberal values that CHL and CliffFletcher tout is freedom of religion, and I agree with those values even when I know that this particular freedom is dangerous and open to abuse. Further, being a Muslim or a Christian or a Buddhist or whatever is irrelevant to how I perceive you as a person, just like being an atheist doesn't endear certain intolerant and bigoted people - even on this very board - to me.

*What is "Islam" anyway? That was my main original point, it's far too broad a term to really mean anything useful as far as tracing causes of events. If someone said "This particular group of Wahhabi Muslims subscribe to the teachings of this particular cleric who advocates violent terrorist action, and that's a problem", well, I would agree with that, provided it was true. When you say "Islam" this, or "Muslim" that, you are almost certainly about to frame a statement as "Us vs. Them", and that is exactly the thinking that creates the terrorism you claim to abhor.
A really good post.

And then you end it with the bold and somewhat ruin it. I get what you're saying, and there is some truth to it in that our reactions fuel more terrorism. But you're way over-stating it, and no, people blaming Islam is NOT what is creating the terrorism. Kind of difficult to put that cart before that horse.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #252
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, there are wars and poverty in other parts of the world. Sub-Saharan Africa, southeast Asia, Latin America. Take a look at the 50 most impoverished countries in the world. Most are not Muslim. And most are not routinely the scene of terrorist attacks. People are not blowing up bus stations in Gambia, Burundi, Haiti, Benin, Nicaragua, and Bolivia.

Quote:
I have no idea who they blame. They should blame radicals and religious fundamentalists of their own faith. And societies that have turned their backs on science, progress, humanism, and tolerance.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #253
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But you're way over-stating it, and no, people blaming Islam is NOT what is creating the terrorism. Kind of difficult to put that cart before that horse.
That's not what I'm saying, though, I'm saying that this KIND of thinking is what creates terrorism, not this specific instance. Dividing the world into Us vs Them is wrong. Islam vs the West, believers vs non-believers, liberals vs conservatives, cat-people vs dog-people - whichever. All wrong, wrong, wrong.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #254
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Again, there are wars and poverty in other parts of the world. Sub-Saharan Africa, southeast Asia, Latin America. Take a look at the 50 most impoverished countries in the world. Most are not Muslim. And most are not routinely the scene of terrorist attacks. People are not blowing up bus stations in Gambia, Burundi, Haiti, Benin, Nicaragua, and Bolivia.
I believe those regions would be just as volatile if they had an influx of weaponry left behind by past wars, given to them by other countries, or had valuable natural resources waiting to be spoiled.

Quote:
I have no idea who they blame. They should blame radicals and religious fundamentalists of their own faith. And societies that have turned their backs on science, progress, humanism, and tolerance.
Agreed, they should be blaming radicals and fundamentalists.

I guess what I'm trying to stay is it's more complicated than stating that "Islam" is the one true cause of terrorism. There are a lot of political and socio-economical factors that created ISIS and the ####-show that is now Syria and Iraq.

I really think ISIS would be no different if they were a Jewish group or a Christian group.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #255
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Nobody ever said terrorism doesn't exist in those parts of the world, but it is less prevalent.
Violence is endemic to those parts of the world, you don't need to resort to the methods of an asymmetric war of terrorism when the government, militia, or rebel group you're part of can fight your enemies on even terms. Although plenty of them do anyway, I doubt being macheted to death in Rwanda or disappeared by a death squad in Brazil has nothing to do with creating terror.

Money is what drives radical fundamental Islamist groups in the West. Just like, back in the day, money from the Soviet Union drove radical fundamental Marxist groups committing acts of terrorism in the West. Where are those groups now?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #256
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I believe those regions would be just as volatile if they had an influx of weaponry left behind by past wars, given to them by other countries, or had valuable natural resources waiting to be spoiled.

Agreed, they should be blaming radicals and fundamentalists.

I guess what I'm trying to stay is it's more complicated than stating that "Islam" is the one true cause of terrorism. There are a lot of political and socio-economical factors that created ISIS and the ####-show that is now Syria and Iraq.

I really think ISIS would be no different if they were a Jewish group or a Christian group.
There are plenty of weapons in South America, Africa, and the Caribbean. Many of these areas were the fronts of the cold war, and the US/USSR pumped them full of all sorts of automatic weapons.

I do agree though that the issue isn't with the particular religion. It's with the fundamentalists who see the religion as a political force more than a religion. They want to establish a worldwide government, not merely practice a religion in a free society. The fundamentalist movement has far more in common with communist extremists in the 1960s than it does with other religions.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #257
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That kind of equivocation is ghastly. Did you look at the list I posted the link to?

Quote:
Sorry, the kind of attacks carried out in Paris and Brussels don't really require all that much money. They require expertise (not hard to find on the internet), discipline, and, most importantly, fanaticism. Political radicalism is the tinder, and fundamentalists religion is the gasoline.

Quote:
Further, being a Muslim or a Christian or a Buddhist or whatever is irrelevant to how I perceive you as a person, just like being an atheist doesn't endear certain intolerant and bigoted people - even on this very board - to me.
It can give me some clue as to someone's social attitudes. If someone says they are a fundamentalist Evangelical Christian from Kansas, I can make some pretty strong inferences about their attitudes towards pre-marital sex, family life, science, and homosexuality.

Quote:
Why not look at polls of Muslims in various countries to get some sense of attitudes, values, and beliefs?

Let's be clear - I don't think we're in a struggle between Islam and the rest of the world. I think many Muslims are in a struggle with modernity. And some of those Muslims are taking up violence on a mass level out of intense frustration at the failure of their societies to cope with modernity.

Or you can look at it as a venn diagram. One circle is political radicalism, which includes people of every creed from around the globe. The other circle is Muslims, most of whom are not political radicals. Where those two circles overlap is where we have Islamicist jihadism, which is responsible for the overwhelming number of mass terrorist attacks in the last 20 years. Political radicalism and fundamentalist religion are both necessary to inspire that level of incendiary violence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #258
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying, though, I'm saying that this KIND of thinking is what creates terrorism, not this specific instance. Dividing the world into Us vs Them is wrong. Islam vs the West, believers vs non-believers, liberals vs conservatives, cat-people vs dog-people - whichever. All wrong, wrong, wrong.
Us vs them is wrong. But so is ignoring problems. If a man murders his wife because his pastor told him, should we blame underlying likely contributors like education and poverty? Yes. But we shouldn't ignore precisely the murderer's stated reason.

Radical islamism is the most direct problem, and it is Islam. Let's stop pretending that the terrorists aren't "real Muslims" or that it isn't a significant problem in the religion.

If people are being radicalized in our mosques, which they are, then it is incumbent upon the religious leaders to fully cooperate to eliminate this (which for the most part they are. We shouldn't start isolating Muslims or preventing them from practicing their faith or make them ashamed of it.

However, to pretend their religion isn't playing a very big role here is both disingenuous and damaging to any future solutions
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #259
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's interesting that some are so desperate to find the "real causes" and we can't just listen to what the people who perpetrate these crimes tell us is the reason.

How many times does someone need to say they're doing something in the name of their religion, or against western decadence, or against the infidel before we just accept that maybe that is the actual reason.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #260
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think it's interesting that some are so desperate to find the "real causes" and we can't just listen to what the people who perpetrate these crimes tell us is the reason.

How many times does someone need to say they're doing something in the name of their religion, or against western decadence, or against the infidel before we just accept that maybe that is the actual reason.
Yeah. What's the last thing you hear before an ISIS guy blows himself up? It's almost like an OCD thing as much as it is religious. Every bullet those guys fire gets about fifty Allah akbars.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote