Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #241
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
When you call Shaw, depending on who you talk to, you might get some resistance. Make sure you know what is being offered by Telus. Know the exact plan, and dollar amounts that you need to duplicate your existing service. Know the terms of any contracts. Explain that you have the offer from Telus and that you would like to keep using Shaw because (you like the service, there is no contract, internet is faster, etc etc) but they need to be able to offer you comparable pricing.
This is really good advice, especially knowing the Telus deal inside and out. In my case at least, they basically quizzed me on what I knew about the Telus deal, and anywhere I stumbled (aka didn't know it) they could probably use as leverage to give me less of a deal.

Make the Xbox a selling point. Make the dirt cheap introductory rates a selling point. Tell them that you just want to save some money.

With my recent experience revising my plans with Shaw and Rogers, being civil and making idle conversation works well every time. You want to make their day better, not be "that guy".
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #242
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I just signed up with Shaw about a month ago. I just got an email saying the extreme internet was just a one month trial and is expiring. I was under the impression it was extreme for the entire year. Anybody have any info on that? Thanks.

Last edited by Titan; 11-02-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #243
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was offered it for one year Titan.
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #244
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

here is the deal that i got. a big thanks to everyone in this thread and especially rathji. thank you to all of you.

the advice to know what is in the telus deal is really good; they really worked me on it.

my deal is 91.00 per month for a year which includes hdplus, extreme internet, and bringing the phone over from telus. i think what affects my cost is that the phone comes with unlimited LD as well as voice mail and call display. i didn't get the free hdpvr although i really pushed for that...i mean really pushed. i finally got told that the promotion ended and they could only offer me $100 off. i told them that wasn't good enough especially when the telus one was basically free. it was suggested to me to call in after the 10th of november when the next deal perhaps starts...i pushed back and said that i didn't want to be phoning all the time for free stuff...that they should just give it to me. no dice. so they threw in 3 months free HD movie package.

where does it leave me? right now i pay 55 to telus per month and 125 to shaw. so 180. i will be paying half of that for the same services for a year, with 3 months of free movies. i know that i can get the $100 discount on the pvr at any time so i will definitely be calling for that free hdpvr on a monthly basis if necessary.

so...i saved $1080 for the year. which is well wicked when you think about it.

i definitely feel that shaw stepped up and that is what will keep me a shaw customer. well done shaw!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #245
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
4. Will my telephone service work if there is no power? Shaw's home phone service includes a battery backup device. When this device is connected to the Digital Phone Terminal and the battery is fully charged, it will provide four hours of standby time.

Note
Whether you are using Shaw's home phone service or a traditional phone service, a cordless telephone will not work during a power outage, as the base station requires power to operate.
This is 100% true, and why it is always a good idea to have a traditional corded phone somewhere in your home in the event of a power outage.

Corded phones will work during a power outage. provided no network lines have been damaged.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #246
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ or a cell phone......
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #247
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is strictly in regards to Shaw, I didn't want to start a new topic for this.

I have purchased the Centre Ice package and as I read on their site, I am supposed to get a free subscription for Gamecentre live. Last year they sent me a code in an email, this year they sent nothing. I found a form to fill out to have it sent but my account number on my bill doesn't work. Does anyone else know any other way to get it? Calling them is like pulling teeth. Even their call-back service sucks.

Also, is anyone with Shaw experiencing problems with this new Pace PVR? They told me the day I got it I'd love it and it's been the complete opposite. Every couple days it tells me the PVR is full so I go through the damn routine of unplugging all the cords and plugging them back in and then it's only luck if DVR service is actually working. The other problem relates directly to NHL Centre Ice. At any random point, I'm getting terrible digital distortion in the feed, at other times games are just disappearing before they are over.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #248
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
This is strictly in regards to Shaw, I didn't want to start a new topic for this.

I have purchased the Centre Ice package and as I read on their site, I am supposed to get a free subscription for Gamecentre live. Last year they sent me a code in an email, this year they sent nothing. I found a form to fill out to have it sent but my account number on my bill doesn't work. Does anyone else know any other way to get it? Calling them is like pulling teeth. Even their call-back service sucks.

Also, is anyone with Shaw experiencing problems with this new Pace PVR? They told me the day I got it I'd love it and it's been the complete opposite. Every couple days it tells me the PVR is full so I go through the damn routine of unplugging all the cords and plugging them back in and then it's only luck if DVR service is actually working. The other problem relates directly to NHL Centre Ice. At any random point, I'm getting terrible digital distortion in the feed, at other times games are just disappearing before they are over.

As I understand it, the Pace PVR has been recalled by the manufacturer and Shaw is in the process of contacting customers to swap them all out. You might be able to speed the process up by calling in, but I don't know for sure.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #249
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I had Shaw come yesterday to install the HDPVR they offered to me to retain my services. They installed a Pace PVR and it is terrible. I waited on hold last night for an hour to tell them to get somebody over here and give me the Motorola that I agreed to. Now I have to wait until Tuesday to get it swapped out. The Pace unit makes a low rumbling noise that is so audible we can hear it constantly under whatever programming we are watching. Sounds like a consistant thumping in the background. Is this normal? I know they pawn off their refurbished units to us but this is ridiculous. Strike one Shaw.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #250
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Our work just got telus optik tv oddly enough and it's really quite awesome. the menu guide is a leap year ahead of shaw, and apparently you can use a blackberry or iphone to set the pvr.

the only downside i can see is losing bandwidth but in all honesty i rarely download anymore. i think im going to keep shaw until my bonuses with them run out, then make the switch to optik.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #251
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I had Shaw come yesterday to install the HDPVR they offered to me to retain my services. They installed a Pace PVR and it is terrible. I waited on hold last night for an hour to tell them to get somebody over here and give me the Motorola that I agreed to. Now I have to wait until Tuesday to get it swapped out. The Pace unit makes a low rumbling noise that is so audible we can hear it constantly under whatever programming we are watching. Sounds like a consistant thumping in the background. Is this normal? I know they pawn off their refurbished units to us but this is ridiculous. Strike one Shaw.
The Pace boxes really do suck, some of the models are actually on recall.

We paid extra to make sure we didn't get one when they replaced our failing Motorola box a couple weeks ago. We got the DCX3400 instead and it is quite nice.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #252
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Shaw guy came today and swapped the Pace unit for a Motorola 3400. Quiet as a mouse so far. Way to go Shaw guy.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #253
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I have been setup with a Motorola 3400 from Shaw after having basic analogue cable for my whole life!

Oh man, is it ever nice! It sure takes some getting used to, realizing that you can record/rewind live TV!

My mom was watching House with me last night. She missed a line, and she was delighted that it could just be rewound.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #254
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a TV luddite and need some guidance here.

Shaw, for reasons unexplained, sent me a digital terminal and I think a three month free trial. This isn't an HD terminal, just digital cable.

I have two HDTV's and an analog TV tuner in my Mac that I use to PVR shows.

So here's my questions:

1. If I use this digital terminal, do I lose access to the analog cable signal on the other devices?

2. If I KEPT the digital terminal hooked up, would my cable bill be like $62 for digital + the $60-whatever I'm paying for analog?

3. Is non-HD digital any better than regular analog? I don't need pay-per-view or on-demand, I have an AppleTV for that.

Bear in mind, I and my family are content with analog cable - it's all we really need, and I'm not interested in paying significantly more, particularly if its not going to gain me much.

Thanks!

-Scott
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #255
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post

Bear in mind, I and my family are content with analog cable - it's all we really need, and I'm not interested in paying significantly more, particularly if its not going to gain me much.
Not sure about your questions, but my dad indicated the cost was not notably more than paying for analogue cable monthly.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #256
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Shaw, for reasons unexplained, sent me a digital terminal and I think a three month free trial. This isn't an HD terminal, just digital cable.

So here's my questions:

1. If I use this digital terminal, do I lose access to the analog cable signal on the other devices?

2. If I KEPT the digital terminal hooked up, would my cable bill be like $62 for digital + the $60-whatever I'm paying for analog?

3. Is non-HD digital any better than regular analog? I don't need pay-per-view or on-demand, I have an AppleTV for that.

Thanks!

-Scott
I won't quote on what I am not sure on. However, it is my understanding that
the main advantage of digital non-HD is the menu guide. Plus some models you can hook up a PVR extender to it (I think?)

I think other than the cost to rent/buy the physical unit, you pay $1.50 a month for the guide service. However, many TV's come with TV Guide built in, so this might end up being a redundant service.

Other than that I think analog vs. non-HD digital is hype. If you can't see/hear a difference then that is the main thing.

I mean the source signal it captured by Shaw and sent via cable to your house, so it is pre-filtered for quality, unlike over the air antennas. Yes, digital has Dolby 2-ch stereo, but if you are using TV speakers only, you may not hear a difference.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #257
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I have been setup with a Motorola 3400 from Shaw after having basic analogue cable for my whole life!

Oh man, is it ever nice! It sure takes some getting used to, realizing that you can record/rewind live TV!

My mom was watching House with me last night. She missed a line, and she was delighted that it could just be rewound.
Using a PVR subtly changes your viewing habits over time. I could never go back to analog TV. The only live TV I watch is sports. Everything else I watch when I want, in the order that I want. I could never go back to being a slave to airtimes and looking at a paper tv guide.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #258
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

So here's my questions:

Thanks!

-Scott
This probably has changed since I last had a Shaw digital box. (Non-HD, Non-PVR) The only true digital stations were the premium channels. Everything else was just the standard analog signal with a digital menu overlay. I was able to have the box on my main TV and still run cable to my other TV's in the house. I had access to the standard 3 tiers on those other TV's

This was years ago however so I am sure it is different now.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #259
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So here's my questions:

Thanks!

-Scott
1. All your non-digital devices will still function as normal.

2. Digital Cable is the same cost as regular cable, the only difference is rent on a box if you don't own it (~$2 a month), so your total bill is $62.

3. The TV signal itself isn't really noticeably better, the major differences are that some specialty channels you cannot get without digital cable, the menu guide including search functionality, reminders, other times the show you are looking at is on, etc
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #260
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
1. All your non-digital devices will still function as normal.

2. Digital Cable is the same cost as regular cable, the only difference is rent on a box if you don't own it (~$2 a month), so your total bill is $62.

3. The TV signal itself isn't really noticeably better, the major differences are that some specialty channels you cannot get without digital cable, the menu guide including search functionality, reminders, other times the show you are looking at is on, etc
Thanks!

I threw caution to the wind and gave it a shot. The picture quality is definitely higher for me - some channels, in particular CBC and Sportsnet, look noticeably better.