Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #241
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would try putting Mason Raymond as a healthy scratch even for a game. He hasn't done anything since his return from injury. Unfortunately everyone knows (maybe including Granlund) that when Backlund returns, Granlund will be back in Adirondack. Mind you Jooris is not back yet from his injury so Granlund can probably stay until he gets back.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #242
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scratching Raymond has to be a consideration at this point, agreed. If only for a game or two. His conditioning looked better last game, but then everyone looked better considering the opposition.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #243
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I agree but that's tough for Granlund.

I wonder if Backlund gets slotted between Hudler and Gaudreau. Probably not. Colborne I don't think is a good fit either.

I think there's a possibility that we see Backlund moved between Glen and Jones as the shut down line and Monahan centering Johnny and Hudler:

Glennie-Backlund-Mad Bones Jones
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Raymond-Colborne-Byron
Bollig/Stajan/Bouma/Jooris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing my mind on this....I just don't think you can break up the Granlund line and Raymond has not been very good (green jersey today could be scratched vs Edm tomorrow).

Glennie-Monahan-Mad Bones Jones

Gaudreau-Granlund-Hudler

Colborne-Backlund-Byron

Bollig/Stajan/Bouma/Jooris

Raymond, Ern scratched.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #244
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

15 forwards heep, one of them is going to get sent down. Granlund is my guess. My lines would be (when Backlund is back):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Raymond - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Byron - Jooris
Bollig/Ern

-I only put Stajan ahead of Backlund because I think Backlund needs a few games before he's ready for top 6 minutes again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #245
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
15 forwards heep, one of them is going to get sent down. Granlund is my guess. My lines would be (when Backlund is back):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Raymond - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Byron - Jooris
Bollig/Ern

-I only put Stajan ahead of Backlund because I think Backlund needs a few games before he's ready for top 6 minutes again.

Ah yes my bad. Maybe the time has come to waive Grats *tear*.

I like your lineup...but seriously how can you break up Johnny's line right now?
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #246
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Ah yes my bad. Maybe the time has come to waive Grats *tear*.

I like your lineup...but seriously how can you break up Johnny's line right now?
Usually it's the center that drives the forwards, but Johnny and Hudler could probably have any center slotted there and still be as effective.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #247
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

McGrattan, Bollig, and Raymond are not going anywhere, at least not this year (or the trade deadline at the earliest). Gaudreau and Jooris have earned their NHL jobs, easily. Granlund is right there too, but we already have too many LWers and he's not strong enough on face-offs to be a center in the NHL yet. Jooris has shown to be a capable bottom 6 center and RWer, a position of greater organizational need at the moment. No chance he's sent anywhere.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Hudler: Backlund is defensively responsible, is good at battling in corners, on the cycle and forecheck, and has decent enough hands to finish opportunities that Gaudreau and Hudler create. It's a great match, but it could just as easily be Monahan on that line if not for having two relatively inexperienced players on the same line.

Glencross-Monahan-Jones: They've been such an excellent physical line that handles the tough defensive assignments, it's hard to imagine breaking them up. That being said, Backlund could easily fit on this line and Monahan could easily fit just as well with Gaudreau and Hudler. It will come down to chemistry when everyone is healthy.

Colborne-Jooris-Byron: Colborne is still finding his "A" game, but he's got great size, protects the puck well, and has great vision. Jooris is quite strong defensively, decent at face-offs for a rookie, and has great energy and good enough hands when offensive chances come up. Byron has struggled lately, but he's still a good energy winger who actually is quite physical, and previous to this year did a good job of creating and burying chances.

Bollig-Stajan-Bouma: They've been a good unit of late, both defensively and offensively. Stajan and Jooris can be interchangeable, as they both play a similar game. Bollig has been pretty effective of late, but if his play falls off he can sit and Byron can take his spot while Raymond slides into the 3rd line. Bouma is the perfect 4th line winger and an extremely important penalty killer, so you always make room for him in the lineup.

All of this is likely moot anyway since it will be at least a week or two before Backlund is back in game shape, and there's always a possibility of another forward going down with injury.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #248
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like those lines, and don't think we would miss Raymond one bit.