Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 04:49 PM   #241
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wish posters used "earlier and later" instead of "higher and lower" when describing relative draft positions.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:50 PM   #242
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
They absolutely do. The WHL teams send out questionnaires and you have to put your shoe size and parent size on them. If the mom is Venus Williams the scouts panties get moist.
Venus doesn't even have children
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:54 PM   #243
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
On the other hand, those fans who bitch and moan will proclaim Tij a bust the moment he's drafted, just so they can say they hated him before it was cool.

It's a hipster thing.
I can already read Dino bashing Tij constantly if he goes anywhere else.
For the sake of not having to suffer that on CP alone, please draft Iggy.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:54 PM   #244
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As long as the flames don't go way off the board and grab one of the guys commonly listed in the top 12 or so I'll be happy.

I do think the flames need get a player with 1c/top pairing D potential, but more then that they need to draft for ceiling.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:01 PM   #245
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Expectations are not nearly as high for Josh Doan than for Tij. I think that's the biggest difference. You're drafting Iggy with a top 10 pick with almost an expectation that he turns into a franchise winger like his dad, in the market where his dad was an icon. No one's putting those kinds of expectations on Josh Doan. That's a lot of pressure.
It’s the closest example I can think of. Well since Mark Howe.

Doan was 37OA which is almost first round and plays for his dad’s old club.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:28 PM   #246
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Expectations are not nearly as high for Josh Doan than for Tij. I think that's the biggest difference. You're drafting Iggy with a top 10 pick with almost an expectation that he turns into a franchise winger like his dad, in the market where his dad was an icon. No one's putting those kinds of expectations on Josh Doan. That's a lot of pressure.
Josh Doan was drafted at #37. Shows that other teams didn't just act like jerks for no reason to take him off the board or extort something out of Arizona.

That being said Doan was playing in the NCAA and could just force his way onto the Coyotes, if he really wanted to.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:32 PM   #247
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interestingly Doan was also an over-ager when drafted.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:35 PM   #248
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Interestingly Doan was also an over-ager when drafted.
So he went undrafted in his first year of eligibility, and went in the second round the following year? That doesn't sound like a situation where he would be under undue pressure to live up to his family name.

Taking Tij Iginla with a top-10 pick in his first year of eligibility is a very different situation.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:44 PM   #249
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
So he went undrafted in his first year of eligibility, and went in the second round the following year? That doesn't sound like a situation where he would be under undue pressure to live up to his family name.

Taking Tij Iginla with a top-10 pick in his first year of eligibility is a very different situation.
Yeah exactly. Doan wasn't thought much of in his first year of eligibility. His production jumped from 5 goals and 14 points to 31 goals and 70 points between his first and second years of eligibility. I don't think he was on the radar at all for the first year.

So indeed a very different type of situation.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:49 PM   #250
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I can already read Dino bashing Tij constantly if he goes anywhere else.
For the sake of not having to suffer that on CP alone, please draft Iggy.
I can already read the handful of posters that will be bashing Tij constantly unless he outperforms his father because everything the Flames do is terrible. But to be fair, they'll do that over whoever is drafted.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 05:56 PM   #251
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah exactly. Doan wasn't thought much of in his first year of eligibility. His production jumped from 5 goals and 14 points to 31 goals and 70 points between his first and second years of eligibility. I don't think he was on the radar at all for the first year.

So indeed a very different type of situation.
To add, Shane Doan was a great player and is a great person. But comparing him to Iginla is an insult to Jarome. So his son living up to his legacy is not remotely the same. And not to bash Arizona, but that hockey market is not Calgary. It might be equal to a neighborhood in Calgary.

Shane Doan =/= Iginla
Arizona =/= Calgary

The situations are not at all similar other than son playing for Dad's team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #252
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
To add, Shane Doan was a great player and is a great person. But comparing him to Iginla is an insult to Jarome. So his son living up to his legacy is not remotely the same. And not to bash Arizona, but that hockey market is not Calgary. It might be equal to a neighborhood in Calgary.

Shane Doan =/= Iginla
Arizona =/= Calgary

The situations are not at all similar other than son playing for Dad's team.
Name a closer situation. It’s the only one I can think of.

I think people underestimate what Doan is to that franchise though.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 05:59 PM   #253
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Not a draft expert and never claimed to be but the way Tij Iginla is rising late in the season, and watching him play makes me think he's going to be a star player. No guarantee and still lots of work to do but I absolutely love him as a prospect, with or without the last name.

His ability to find room, to know where to go and be open then get off a quick shot is high level, one of the best shots in the draft. Fantastic abilities in the offensive zone as well, great at creating his own space via his edge work and also great acceleration when carrying the puck. His passing ability is underrated too. Iginla isn't going to wow with his insane passes but what makes him a good passer is his puck handling and ability to hold onto the puck. He's really good in the offensive zone and controlling the play and finding open guys, he's really patient.

The thing he has to work on, and I'm stealing a bit from various scouting reports are; defence, strength and his skating. All things that can be worked on and maybe this is where I'm giving credit to his last name but from watching his dad and seeing interviews with Tij this isn't a kid who's going to stop working at any point soon. Also a small point is his late birth year. August 1st. He still has lots of development compared to guys born late September - January in the 2024 draft

Like I said.. potential star.
His skating is fine. I think people get all knit-picky about skating and how players like JayBo and Hanifin are so smooth and all. Then, you see them get beat inside out by guys like Crosby or even Draisaitl (cough, who isn't a very good skater). Defence and strength - yup and I think everyone that is drafted and starts playing needs to work on that regardless unless if you're McDrai and you're branded as superstars of all superstars, then, you can float around the ice all you want without ever playing defensive hockey for the rest of their careers.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:22 PM   #254
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can already read the handful of posters that will be bashing Tij constantly unless he outperforms his father because everything the Flames do is terrible. But to be fair, they'll do that over whoever is drafted.
Nah, fans are smarter than that. The fans mainly just want players who work hard and wants to be here. From the looks of it he has some of the same tools as his dad, so definitely he's going to score some goals for us. Nobody's expecting them to put up forty goal seasons. From what I've seen of him he looks very focused, so he has a bit of a dominant personality.

We need some characters with leadership qualities, if he doesn't put up the numbers I bet you he's going to be a solid contributor that has had the opportunity growing up to hang around NHL players. Conroy alluded to this a little bit when he was talking about having seen him play.

I think the whole pressure thing is overrated. Look how many draft picks go number 1, and then have to live up to the pressures in the cities that they play in. The Flames will pick the best player available most likely, but it appears that Tij has earned the right to be drafted in the top 10. The fact that he's risen as quickly as he has it's a big accomplishment; The kid appears to have some of the same tools as his dad. Good for him I bet his dad is proud, and believe he will live up to the same NHL pressures as any of the other picks.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 06:28 PM   #255
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Name a closer situation. It’s the only one I can think of.

I think people underestimate what Doan is to that franchise though.
You're right it is the "closest" but that's because it's not common that a hall of fame player has a top prospect son, potentially right in the draft range of the team that his Dad played for. And Doan means alot to Arizona, but to say it's a wildly different hickey market is an understatement.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:50 PM   #256
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right it is the "closest" but that's because it's not common that a hall of fame player has a top prospect son, potentially right in the draft range of the team that his Dad played for. And Doan means alot to Arizona, but to say it's a wildly different hickey market is an understatement.
I have no idea about this.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:05 PM   #257
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't Conroy say they wanted to avoid the Dave/Adam Lowry situation where they didn't want to draft him because Dad played here and they ended up regretting it? So if Tij is BPA I think they pick him. If he's not, they don't.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:37 PM   #258
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I have no idea about this.
College crowd...or autocorrect failed me lol
Old 04-09-2024, 11:31 PM   #259
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
When I meant 10 or above I meant drafting at 10 or later than 10. I think 10 is about as high as I can see Iginla going. Most draft guys have him between 12-16.
Ohhhhh... Yeah that makes sense now. I was stuck in this weird loop for a bit there, lol.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:28 AM   #260
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WHL player of the week:
https://www.castanet.net/news/WHL/48...er-of-the-week
Red_Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post: