Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2024, 12:32 PM   #2501
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
And there you have it.

That’s why I think it’s more likely Marner lands on a team that is on the upswing. I’d be pretty surprised if Utah isn’t aggressive this offseason. They have plenty of young talent, which Marner would compliment having just turned 27, and what appears to be an owner who looks like he would want to make a splash.

Now, I don’t think they have what I assume the Leafs would be looking for (D and a goalie that can help them now). That’s where the Flames come in as the third party.
So Marner stays in Toronto or maybe the Leafs and Panthers connect on an Ekblad swap.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #2502
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
lol extra deflecting details aside you can’t because you know it’s a trade tilted hard towards the Leafs.
Lindholm went for about what was expected a late 1st, a cap dump, and a prospect. Question is really did Vancouver screw up the cap dump.
Tkachuk was an RFA.
Never said Leafs fans are dumb but fans always overestimate what UFAs will return. It happened for basically every UFA the Flames traded this year on this very forum. People were expecting top prospects for Hanifin and Tanev going into the deadline.
Tkachuk was an RFA who said he wouldn’t resign long term. Effectively, his situation and Mariner’s are very close in that respect.

Lindholm went for more than what you’ve described.

At the end of the day, what I’ve suggested is the Flames walk out of it with 6OA and a young C which is a target Conroy has said he’s interested in acquiring (not Hayton specifically).

Now, I’m also willing to concede that trading Andersson might not be something the Flames have any interest in doing, for good reason I’d add.

Just looking to stir up some discussion.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:37 PM   #2503
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So Marner stays in Toronto or maybe the Leafs and Panthers connect on an Ekblad swap.
What would motivate the Panthers to move Ekblad?
Old 05-05-2024, 12:41 PM   #2504
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should get a good read on the Toronto situation in the next 48 hrs I would imagine. I had heard plenty of noise before the playoffs even started that another early exit would be the end for both Shanahan and Keefe. I expect that might go down in the next 48 hours as well.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 12:42 PM   #2505
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk was an RFA who said he wouldn’t resign long term. Effectively, his situation and Mariner’s are very close in that respect.

Lindholm went for more than what you’ve described.

At the end of the day, what I’ve suggested is the Flames walk out of it with 6OA and a young C which is a target Conroy has said he’s interested in acquiring (not Hayton specifically).

Now, I’m also willing to concede that trading Andersson might not be something the Flames have any interest in doing, for good reason I’d add.

Just looking to stir up some discussion.
RFA vs UFA is still a large difference and Tkachuk still didn’t return the value of a 6th overall pick. I’d be all over turning Andersson and Markstrom into a 6th overall but that isn’t happening and it’s definitely not happening by being the third team in on a Marner trade for the 6th overall.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #2506
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And there you have it.

That’s why I think it’s more likely Marner lands on a team that is on the upswing. I’d be pretty surprised if Utah isn’t aggressive this offseason. They have plenty of young talent, which Marner would compliment having just turned 27, and what appears to be an owner who looks like he would want to make a splash.

Now, I don’t think they have what I assume the Leafs would be looking for (D and a goalie that can help them now). That’s where the Flames come in as the third party.
Why would Mitch Marner waive his NMC to go to a team that is not a contender? Why would he not just stay in Toronto and play on a contender and then have his pick of 32 teams to sign with next offseason?
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #2507
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What would motivate the Panthers to move Ekblad?
Keep Montour and Reinhart walking to get overpaid by another team.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:46 PM   #2508
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Nm
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:58 PM   #2509
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Why would Mitch Marner waive his NMC to go to a team that is not a contender? Why would he not just stay in Toronto and play on a contender and then have his pick of 32 teams to sign with next offseason?
Well, there could be plenty of reasons.

Maybe he would welcome a move out of Toronto. Maybe he understands that landing on a contender might not be realistic. Maybe he wants to be in a market that is less hockey focussed so he can have some anonymity, maybe he’s able to take a look at a team and see they are on a trajectory that he fits well into and likes the owner, the coach, the team…..who knows. I don’t think it’s as black and white as you’re making it. There’s likely many factors at play here.

Or, and maybe you’re right, he just wants to play in Toronto and that’s it. Kadri exercised his right to block a trade out of Toronto.

One thing I do think is likely though is Marner is going to be heavily scrutinized in Toronto, i would say more than any other player on that team and probably across the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 01:02 PM   #2510
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Keep Montour and Reinhart walking to get overpaid by another team.
Is another team going to have to overpay to get Reinhart or Montour? If both those guys are happy there, most guys seem to be these days, why leave?
Old 05-05-2024, 01:26 PM   #2511
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If he was guaranteed to sign he is still not worth the equivalent of 3 1sts +. That is a ridiculous amount to pay. Given what their value is look at it this way, would you rather have the 7th, the 15, and another late pick in the first round and let's say Alexander Holtz or an extended Mitch Marner? This isn't close.
Not sure I follow.

Who’s giving up those assets and who’s getting them for what? Seems complicated.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:31 PM   #2512
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe he would welcome a move out of Toronto. Maybe he understands that landing on a contender might not be realistic. Maybe he wants to be in a market that is less hockey focussed so he can have some anonymity, maybe he’s able to take a look at a team and see they are on a trajectory that he fits well into and likes the owner, the coach, the team…..who knows. I don’t think it’s as black and white as you’re making it. There’s likely many factors at play here.

Or, and maybe you’re right, he just wants to play in Toronto and that’s it. Kadri exercised his right to block a trade out of Toronto.

One thing I do think is likely though is Marner is going to be heavily scrutinized in Toronto, i would say more than any other player on that team and probably across the league.
I live in Ontario and have lots of leaf friends. Your last para is what they think, they can just torture him out of town. Not sure that will work. But the idea that the Leafs wants to trade Marner because he is one dimensional and does not show up in the playoffs and that there is another team that wants to give up a haul for a one dimensional player who does not show up in the playoffs is somewhat contradictory.

At the end of the day I think Marner will do whatever is best for him to maximize his salary for his next contract. That has always been the calling card for the Toronto core and I am not sure why that would change now. If being traded to Columbus is that move in his mind then maybe he waives to a non-contender. But I suspect he and his agent know a solid playoff performance is worth 10-15 million USD on a 7 year contract, so for that reason. I doubt he goes to a non-contender.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:37 PM   #2513
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure I follow.

Who’s giving up those assets and who’s getting them for what? Seems complicated.
You said Markstrom + Andersson + 1st for Marner no?

So I was looking at what the value is on those players. There has been media and fan proposals about some of these players so we can ballpark it. Markstrom main rumour was 1st round pick +Holtz. Andersson has been linked with both Ottawa's first and Buffalos. Let's go with Buffalo for arguments sake. I am assuming the other 1st is Vancouver's and not ours? So that would be like offering the equivalent of 10, 11, 29 and Alexander Holtz for Marner.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:41 PM   #2514
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Personally, knowing the guys personality over the years, Marner can’t handle criticism. He takes it very personally and becomes irritable. Him being scapegoated, deservedly in a must win year, he’s finally not being given the benefit of the doubt for the first time. Him and Matthews had carte blanche to do what they wanted over the years and they had excuses every playoffs. Now there are no more excuses at the age of 26. If the team asks him to waive and it’s not a team like Edmonton, and it’s a situation that benefits him, he’ll go. All the team has to do is leak that he refuses to waive and everyone will be against him. He wouldn’t be able to handle staying getting boo’d every game.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:00 PM   #2515
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You said Markstrom + Andersson + 1st for Marner no?

So I was looking at what the value is on those players. There has been media and fan proposals about some of these players so we can ballpark it. Markstrom main rumour was 1st round pick +Holtz. Andersson has been linked with both Ottawa's first and Buffalos. Let's go with Buffalo for arguments sake. I am assuming the other 1st is Vancouver's and not ours? So that would be like offering the equivalent of 10, 11, 29 and Alexander Holtz for Marner.
Yeah, I had said the 1st in the Flames-Leafs deal would be the Vancouver pick. Somewhere between 27-32, I believe.

I would be a bit surprised if the Jersey deal would be their first (this year) and Holtz. Maybe it was in January, but I’d be very surprised, in a good way, if Jersey is still dangling the 11OA pick for Markstromand that’s a deal I would make. If it is true that deal was accurate then I can understand Fitzgerald comment about being extorted. That’s a hell of a price to pay for a 34 year old goalie.

As for Ottawa and Buffalo, I can’t see either of them trading those assets for Andersson. He has two years left on his deal. That’s not much. Ottawa just traded a top 10 pick for one year of Debrindcat. Not too sure how eager they would be to step in that trap again especially seeing as they’re going to have to surrender a 1st round pick for nothing at some point in the next 3 years, I believe.i would have an easier time seeing Buffalo, maybe, but again, Andersson doesn’t have much term left. Also, how would he fit, salary wise, with a blue line that already has Dahlin, Power, and Byram? Those three guys aren’t cheap, or don’t be. Buffalo could still do it but I’m not sure that’s their plan.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:01 PM   #2516
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is getting hosed in this deal? Interested is anyone thinks this value is somewhat close.

To Toronto: Andersson+Markstrom
To Anaheim: Marner+9th overall pick
To Calgary: Zegras+3rd overall pick.

Toronto adds a starting goalie and partner for Reilly signed super cheap. If they can add Stamkos in free agency they would be nicely retooled.

The Ducks try to pull themselves out of a rebuild by adding a legit star and trade back a few spots in the top 10. They move on for Zegras which has been rumored and it would be an understanding a long term extension is coming with Marner.

The Flames get aggressive to move up in the draft and take a shot on Zegras. Honestly I am not a huge fan of his but I was trying to find a realistic third trade partner because I don’t really want Marner on the flames. Perhaps Zegras is someone who work with Huberdeau? I do think Andersson and Markstrom are perfect fits for the Leafs. I think Marner would waive for Anaheim and the Leafs would want to send him west. I also could see Anaheim doing something to signal they are trying to get competitive.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:01 PM   #2517
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you could get Marner for Markstrom, Mangiapane, and Vancouver's 1st.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:04 PM   #2518
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Markstrom and Andersson? That's got insane value for the Leafs.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:12 PM   #2519
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the path to success for Calgary may hinge on Calgary's ability to bring home one of their own either by trading for him this off-season, or signing him as a UFA next off-season. Yes, the one and only Taylor Hall. He has a proven track record of being seriously elite at bringing home #1 overall picks. This is my target. Watch Chicago get Celebrini.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 02:12 PM   #2520
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I had said the 1st in the Flames-Leafs deal would be the Vancouver pick. Somewhere between 27-32, I believe.

I would be a bit surprised if the Jersey deal would be their first (this year) and Holtz. Maybe it was in January, but I’d be very surprised, in a good way, if Jersey is still dangling the 11OA pick for Markstromand that’s a deal I would make. If it is true that deal was accurate then I can understand Fitzgerald comment about being extorted. That’s a hell of a price to pay for a 34 year old goalie.

As for Ottawa and Buffalo, I can’t see either of them trading those assets for Andersson. He has two years left on his deal. That’s not much. Ottawa just traded a top 10 pick for one year of Debrindcat. Not too sure how eager they would be to step in that trap again especially seeing as they’re going to have to surrender a 1st round pick for nothing at some point in the next 3 years, I believe.i would have an easier time seeing Buffalo, maybe, but again, Andersson doesn’t have much term left. Also, how would he fit, salary wise, with a blue line that already has Dahlin, Power, and Byram? Those three guys aren’t cheap, or don’t be. Buffalo could still do it but I’m not sure that’s their plan.
Debrincat had 2 years left when they traded for him, 1 year left when he was traded to Detroit.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good