Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #2481
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is that the $359 one?
Old 07-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #2482
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is that the $359 one?
Yessir. Should be the last PSU I buy for my primary gaming PC for the next decade at least...

I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #2483
photon

Exp:

Hm tempting, only $30 more than the platinum one.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #2484
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just hard to tell what the spikes will look like on the 4090 and what the max power draw will be for high-end CPUs. If the 3090 is spiking over 650 could the 4090 hit over 750? A 1000w PSU is probably going to be okay anyway I guess provided your CPU doesn't get into that 300 range (12900ks has been shown to be able to get close to that). Getting a little closer though.

Incidentally it's pretty hard to figure out what is going on with system power in Ubuntu, I'm finding. A lot of stuff on Linux either doesn't work, or did but breaks when something updates. I can't get an overlay a la Afterburner to work, and apparently it's a known issue. I might have to abandon this Linux thing just for the sake of convenience.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #2485
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's just hard to tell what the spikes will look like on the 4090 and what the max power draw will be for high-end CPUs. If the 3090 is spiking over 650 could the 4090 hit over 750? A 1000w PSU is probably going to be okay anyway I guess provided your CPU doesn't get into that 300 range (12900ks has been shown to be able to get close to that). Getting a little closer though.

Incidentally it's pretty hard to figure out what is going on with system power in Ubuntu, I'm finding. A lot of stuff on Linux either doesn't work, or did but breaks when something updates. I can't get an overlay a la Afterburner to work, and apparently it's a known issue. I might have to abandon this Linux thing just for the sake of convenience.
I mean, the games that spike your CPU (4Xs, RTS, etc.) Aren't the ones that will spike the card. High end PSUs can handle momentary overdraw, and 240v circuits typically run more efficient by default than 120v as well. Also from what I'm reading, the 3090/Ti transient load spikes are ~510w max.

I would be shocked if we ever see a game that maxes your CPU draw and GPU at the same time, and even a Premiere render with CUDA effects only pushes a GPU to ~50% load.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-25-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #2486
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Said nearly everyone who's ever dabbled with switching from Windows to Linux for their primary PC
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #2487
photon

Exp:

My kid keeps bugging me for a Linux laptop, I told him just run Linux in a VM or WSL2, it'll be waaaay easier.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #2488
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I mean, the games that spike your CPU (4Xs, RTS, etc.) Aren't the ones that will spike the card. High end PSUs can handle momentary overdraw, and 240v circuits typically run more efficient by default than 120v as well. Also from what I'm reading, the 3090/Ti transient load spikes are ~510w max.
I was thinking more just a consistently high power draw if you're overclocking it. Stuff like this is a bit disconcerting.

... As for the spikes, Gamers Nexus had them at 650+ from this video a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Said nearly everyone who's ever dabbled with switching from Windows to Linux for their primary PC
I'm not giving up yet. I'll at least give myself a chance to get used to it. The thing is, it seems to be either for people who are completely technologically illiterate (it's actually way less complicated to use than windows; it's much more like iOS) or like... software developers and coders who are comfortable doing everything through a command prompt. Just installing things from the app store is perfectly simple, obviously, the problem is that if things don't work I don't feel competent enough to fix them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-25-2022, 10:10 PM   #2489
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the more reason to stick with my 5950x for the time being I suppose.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #2490
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not giving up yet. I'll at least give myself a chance to get used to it. The thing is, it seems to be either for people who are completely technologically illiterate (it's actually way less complicated to use than windows; it's much more like iOS) or like... software developers and coders who are comfortable doing everything through a command prompt. Just installing things from the app store is perfectly simple, obviously, the problem is that if things don't work I don't feel competent enough to fix them.
You're pretty much bang on, it's a great OS for people who just need the basics or for advanced users who need it for specialized requirements. I've used Ubuntu a bunch in enterprise environments for things like Docker swarms and thin client setups and it's fantastic for those. But I'm over fighting with video and sound drivers trying to use it for my main PC, I fought that battle 10 years ago and gave up. I also don't want to continuously look for alternative apps, I like using Word/Outlook/Photoshop/Teamviewer/etc. I have no time to search for the best alternative and learn them just to get close to the same functionality I already have. Same with games, Steam has made great strides with Proton but even then, the best you can hope for in Linux is close to or equal performance with Windows. There's simply no compelling advantages to switching to Linux for your average PC user
Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #2491
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Going full efficiency this time around, grabbed a Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000w on sale from Newegg. Got a 240v/15a line for all my gaming PCs now so I'm curious to see if I can hit ~95% efficiency with a 4090 when they drop.

Hope I don't regret not going 1200w/1300w Platinum instead!
What does the plug actually look like for you 240v line to your PC?

Like one of these, or more like a dryer plug?

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #2492
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What does the plug actually look like for you 240v line to your PC?

Like one of these, or more like a dryer plug?

Your pic is a NEMA6-20P (20amp, 14g cable likely). Dryers use NEMA14-30R typically (30 amp).

My 240v/15A lines all use a NEMA6-15R receptacle, which is the standard for that voltage/amperage in Canada:

I then use a 6-15P to C19 cable to plug into a PDU (C20 input), which has both C19 and C13 outs which can feed my PCs and monitors (or in the case of my mechanical room the PDU feeds my miners/ASICs). I still have a 120v/15a NEMA5-15R nearby to power normal stuff like my audio monitors, router, etc.

240v/15a is really simple to install because to code it uses the same cabling as a 120v/15a line in Canada; only 20a+ lines require a heftier cable. A 240v/15A line just forgoes the Neutral line and supplies two 120v/15a hots from a dual pole breaker.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-26-2022 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #2493
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is pretty cool, thank you!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #2494
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, you can turn any circuit into 240v/15a effectively just by plugging it into a dual pole 240v/15a breaker at the panel, but I would highly recommend swapping the receptacle(s) on the circuit so people don't plug devices without 240v handling into it, even if it's more annoying.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #2495
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There's simply no compelling advantages to switching to Linux for your average PC user
Well, I mean... it's free. So there's that. I guess you can use an unactivated version of Windows 10 for free, but that's also kind of annoying.

I'm finding the gaming performance through Steam to be basically identical to Windows with the exception of being able to do the stuff that Afterburner allows me to do. The Steam Deck apparently led to a lot of work being put in on the Proton side of things to the point where there's barely any noticeable difference there.

My AIO is in B.C. so at least until I yank the stock CPU cooler off the board (which doesn't even fit, it's being held on by 2 screws and I'm not sure it's seated all that well) I'll keep running it like this I think. I fixed the PCIe 4.0 issue, so everything is running well, and even with the cooler like that I'm getting idles in the 30s and max temps in the low 70s on the GPU and 80s on the CPU in games, which isn't particularly good, but it's... acceptable.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #2496
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a Linux user, but I'm pretty sure GreenWithEnvy is basically the Linux equivalent of Afterburner/PrecisionX

Quote:
Old 07-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #2497
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently not anymore, it was superceded by a different suite of programs that are now also busted and require a work-around.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #2498
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I mean... it's free. So there's that. I guess you can use an unactivated version of Windows 10 for free, but that's also kind of annoying.
Well your average PC user isn't building their own box from parts, they buy a laptop that includes Windows 10/11 with free upgrades. And even if you do build your own PC you can get Windows keys dirt cheap through places like Kingquin that sell surplus OEM keys for under $50

Linux has it's niches where it excels over Windows and it can be very fun for hobbyists and enthusiasts, but it's just not something I would ever recommend anyone use for their only PC experience
Old 07-27-2022, 06:32 AM   #2499
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

48GB 4090Ti reportedly has an 800w TDP.

Who is this for??

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...-graphics-card

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-27-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #2500
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The 2 people out there with an 8k TV?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote