Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #2481
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
And?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356585

In 2008 Canada accounted for less than 4% of video game revenue globally, a number that's unlikely to have changed significantly. With our weakened dollar and a less than 5% market share I'm sure companies aren't overly worried about losing a few sales due to a higher price.

Awesome, 2008. That totally applies to 2014.

When Microsoft increases the price of the xbox1 15% like sony has then I will agree with you. Until then your just throwing opinions out there which believe it or not I don't have to agree with. I'm all for having an open conversation about this but you need to understand that just because someone doesn't agree with you about an opinion doesn't make them wrong. Just like my opinion doesn't make you wrong.

Last edited by Diemenz; 03-16-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removed the fanboy comment as it wasn't fair
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #2482
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Awesome, 2008. That totally applies to 2014.

When Microsoft increases the price of the xbox1 15% like sony has then I will agree with you. Until then your just throwing opinions out there which believe it or not I don't have to agree with. I'm all for having an open conversation about this but you need to understand that just because someone doesn't agree with you about an opinion doesn't make them wrong. Just like my opinion doesn't make you wrong.
It's not an opinion that Canada is a small market, it's a fact that I just backed up with evidence so... okay?

In fact in 2012 the Canadian game market brought in 1.2 billion in revenue (https://www.npdgroupblog.com/a-look-.../#.UyYvqVTnZxk) out of a global 79 billion (http://www.examiner.com/article/vide...y-2013-gartner). So Canada's global market share has actually significantly shrunk since 2008.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #2483
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I don't see Microsoft raising prices of the Xbox its now 50 dollars more with Kinect and a game.the price of the system isn't the only thing that's going up for the ps4 the controllers and accessories are also going up in price.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2484
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I don't see Microsoft raising prices of the Xbox its now 50 dollars more with Kinect and a game.the price of the system isn't the only thing that's going up for the ps4 the controllers and accessories are also going up in price.
It's not up to Sony or Microsoft, it's the Canadian retailers marking prices up not the manufacturers. Simply put all of the retailers in Canada bought their current Xbox One stock when the exchange rate was better. Once that stock starts to run out you will see the same kind of hike that the PS4 had. It's the same reason why games themselves are more expensive vs. 6 months ago
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #2485
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The only reason you haven't seen a similar price bump for the Xbox One is because there is still tons of stock left in Canada that was purchased by retailers when the exchange rate was better. PS4 on the other hand sells out immediately when a retailer brings it in, so of course you'd see the price increase right away thanks to the lower Canadian dollar
This has nothing to do with anything I posted so I have no idea why you quoted me. [shrug]
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #2486
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is clever by Sony. They wanted to get as many PS4s into homes as possible and saw their way forward to do this with a lower price out of the gate. now, with initial market penetration above the Xbox one, they have an opportunity to improve margins and blame exchange rates which may or may not be true. Most people on this thread are assuming that all PS4s are purchased from or through the US, or are spot transactions against the USD, which would be incredibly inefficient and not very clever.

Most goods that are destined for other countries pass through free trade zones, where they move currency and duty free through shipping and delivery mechanisms to other destinations. there is no requirement for the good to be "owned" at that point; payment isn't released then.

Wouldn't the cost of a PS4 be CAD vs YEN, and not CAD vs USD? Why would that affect M$? wouldn't M$ be more affected by the USD, or more likely they settle with the manufacturer in local currency? meaning CAD vs Renmimbi?

And no matter what, all of these companies are hedging currency and should have forward or futures contracts guaranteeing rates and costs.

There is no guarantee that either Sony or m$ have to increase prices today or ever due to currency fluctuations if they aren't trading in those currencies.

One thing is for sure though; this is a long game and anyone that thinks otherwise is being foolish.

I think we know what will happen if the Xbox one either equals or exceeds the perceived value of the PS4; it is the same thing that has happened in favour of Sony up until now.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #2487
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I think this is clever by Sony. They wanted to get as many PS4s into homes as possible and saw their way forward to do this with a lower price out of the gate. now, with initial market penetration above the Xbox one, they have an opportunity to improve margins and blame exchange rates which may or may not be true. Most people on this thread are assuming that all PS4s are purchased from or through the US, or are spot transactions against the USD, which would be incredibly inefficient and not very clever.

Most goods that are destined for other countries pass through free trade zones, where they move currency and duty free through shipping and delivery mechanisms to other destinations. there is no requirement for the good to be "owned" at that point; payment isn't released then.

Wouldn't the cost of a PS4 be CAD vs YEN, and not CAD vs USD? Why would that affect M$? wouldn't M$ be more affected by the USD, or more likely they settle with the manufacturer in local currency? meaning CAD vs Renmimbi?

And no matter what, all of these companies are hedging currency and should have forward or futures contracts guaranteeing rates and costs.

There is no guarantee that either Sony or m$ have to increase prices today or ever due to currency fluctuations if they aren't trading in those currencies.

One thing is for sure though; this is a long game and anyone that thinks otherwise is being foolish.

I think we know what will happen if the Xbox one either equals or exceeds the perceived value of the PS4; it is the same thing that has happened in favour of Sony up until now.
Sorry common sense is not allowed in this thread.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #2488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could be wrong but I don't think Microsoft will put the price up for the XBone. Keeping it at the current price probably is akin to dropping the price anyway which was something that was eventually going to happen.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #2489
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or let's just completely ignore that before our dollar was at par, all of our gaming products were more expensive than they were in the US. Even as recently as the mid-2000's most games were 59.99 in the States and 69.99 here. I remember in 2001/2 paying as much as 79.99 for some PS2 games. When our dollar reached even the prices evened out. It makes complete sense that the prices for these products would again go up when the dollar weakens.

That's common sense.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #2490
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or let's just completely ignore that before our dollar was at par, all of our gaming products were more expensive than they were in the US. Even as recently as the mid-2000's most games were 59.99 in the States and 69.99 here. I remember in 2001/2 paying as much as 79.99 for some PS2 games. When our dollar reached even the prices evened out. It makes complete sense that the prices for these products would again go up when the dollar weakens.

That's common sense.
Dude our dollar never climbed over $0.68 in 2001 and hovered at $0.80 in 2005. We have only been at $0.90 for a short time but it sure didn't take long for these companies to revert to the old $0.80 2005 pricing. Common sense is only half the story as greed has to be factored in as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #2491
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never paid $70 for a non-special edition, like, ever. :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #2492
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well that's the benefits of Steam for a PC gamer. When prices get like this it's when you have to wonder if DRM really is the way to go as while the retail prices go up EB doesn't up their trade in prices to match as I only got $15 for COD Ghosts for PS4. Also means that games that aren't AAA titles are going to have poor sales in this country. There are a lot of games I'm willing to purchase between $50-$60 that I won't at $70.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #2493
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's common sense.
Or let's completely ignore your personal anecdotes of over a decade ago on a completely different platform in a different economic environment and talk about now. not attacking you but past experiences are likely to be cited by many as an example of future events, and they aren't indicative.

There have also been changes in the tariff calculations; a year ago a change was made to tariffs for some developing countries to bring them to tariff and duty parity with developed countries. It likely matters where game disks are manufactured and packaged as well for this topic's purposes.

blaming the USD exchange rate is wrong when there are no USD transactions.

something I was reminded of this morning; renminbi is a fixed currency; yen is floating.

if both consoles come from the same country and travel the same path, and factors of production remain the same, and no other influences like profit or loss decisions happen, the consumer price should be the same.

With Sony selling more consoles, and that manufacturer making less money per console than microsoft, and Sony being less financially stable, seems like an opportunity for Sony.

In my opinion, Microsoft should exploit this new price gap and start to bundle games and especially first party ones. they could also bundle 1 year of Xbox live for relatively little cost to them, but big perceived value for consumers.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #2494
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Neither have I. Games have cost $59.99 in Canada for as long as I can remember. In the US games used to cost $49.99 and only with the last generation did they raise the price to $60 to match what we pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well that's the benefits of Steam for a PC gamer. When prices get like this it's when you have to wonder if DRM really is the way to go as while the retail prices go up EB doesn't up their trade in prices to match as I only got $15 for COD Ghosts for PS4. Also means that games that aren't AAA titles are going to have poor sales in this country. There are a lot of games I'm willing to purchase between $50-$60 that I won't at $70.
I know this is directed at PsYcNeT but I have never paid over $60 on a new Xbox, PS2, 360 or PS3 non special edition game. Ever.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 03-17-2014 at 08:17 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #2495
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Pretty much. If there's one thing to take to heart about all this talk about the dollar fluctuation with the USD, it's that it means absolutely ****-all in the grand scheme of things when it comes to what we pay in Canada. There are way more factors in play than just the dollar value (including arbitrary "we want to charge more so we'll charge more" reasons).

Notice that the delta between NA-manufactured cars is still significant, there's quite a gap between US and Canadian MSRPs. This has not changed between high and low CAD -> USD rates. Similarly, we pay the same for things like video games, despite the rate being different.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #2496
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^ Pretty much. If there's one thing to take to heart about all this talk about the dollar fluctuation with the USD, it's that it means absolutely ****-all in the grand scheme of things when it comes to what we pay in Canada. There are way more factors in play than just the dollar value (including arbitrary "we want to charge more so we'll charge more" reasons).

Notice that the delta between NA-manufactured cars is still significant, there's quite a gap between US and Canadian MSRPs. This has not changed between high and low CAD -> USD rates. Similarly, we pay the same for things like video games, despite the rate being different.
Hell, just look at how much more people in the EU have had to pay for a game despite the Euro being way head of the USD. Or how badly Australians are getting fisted over their game prices even though their dollar is on par with ours. EB Canada is charging $65 for a PS4 copy of Thief and in Australia that same copy is selling at EB for $100

Last edited by cDnStealth; 03-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #2497
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Neither have I. Games have cost $59.99 in Canada for as long as I can remember. In the US games used to cost $49.99 and only with the last generation did they raise the price to $60 to match what we pay.

I know this is directed at PsYcNeT but I have never paid over $60 on a new Xbox, PS2, 360 or PS3 non special edition game. Ever.
Then you weren't buying brand new PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games in 2001/2002. The $59.99 price point came in near the end of the PS2 gen.

Heck, you don't remember EVER paying more than $60? In the late 90's N64 games pushed $90.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #2498
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then you weren't buying brand new PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games in 2001/2002. The $59.99 price point came in near the end of the PS2 gen.

Heck, you don't remember EVER paying more than $60? In the late 90's N64 games pushed $90.
I still don't understand why you keep trying to use stats from 10+ years ago to prove your point. You cannot compare prices of Cartridges to DVD & Bluray games. Completely different cost structure, manufacture structure and development structure......That's Common Sense.

McG explained it perfectly twice now as have several others.

Oh and a little FYI for game prices, this info is directly from EGM.

System (year) ----- Game cost in at system launch year ----------------- Adjusted for inflation in USD as of December 2013
NES (1986) -------29.99-49.99 *39.99-59.99CND-------------------- 59.79-99.65
SNES (1991) ----- 49.99-59.99 *54.99-69.99CND ------------------- 80.17-96.21
N64 (1996) ------- 49.99 *$59.99 CND-------------------------------- 69.60
PS2 (2000) ------- 49.99 *49.99 CND --------------------------------- 63.41
Xbox 360 (2005)-- 59.99 *59.99 CND --------------------------------- 67.1

Last edited by Diemenz; 03-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #2499
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anybody recall what PC games were going for back in the day? I recall having to save up $60 every time I wanted Ultima VI, Wing Commander, X-Wing and such.

Am I recalling correctly?

(I also recall shaking the box to hear all the 5 1/4 or 3.5 disks rattle around.)
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #2500
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just baffled that no one remembers games costing more. They did. It's a fact. I don't know how old many of you are but every big new release on consoles pre-2006 was $70. The Gamecube was $199 in the US and $299 in Canada. PS2 was $299 in US and over $400 here. You can't tell me that has nothing to do with the dollar -- when our dollar was at par, game prices were at par. Now that it is falling, game prices are going up.

Even if it's just an excuse to raise the prices and doesn't actually correlate, it's always been the excuse, so it's still the reason.