Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #2441
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
It was a really fun time. I'm very glad I did it, but don't really feel the need to do it again.

The riding itself isn't that bad. There is nothing very technical on the whole course, lots of double track, and really only one spot I can think of that you could find trouble if you flew up on it too fast.

The night riding was really cool.

The thing is, it's $320 to go ride an ok trail a few times while sleep deprived and you don't get to ride with your friends instead it's packed with strangers. Oh, and you don't get to drink all the beer you want after because you need to ride again in a couple hours.

The whole festival atmosphere is really cool, and I'd never done any sort of race before so I'd always been curious how I'd do, but I still really am more drawn to getting a camping spot for $30, riding with my friends on a couple different quiet trails for a day, drinking all the beer after, and sleeping for as long as I feel like
This was my second year doing the 24hoa and it went much like last year, first lap all the energy in the world, 2nd lap ok I can do this, 3rd lap at 6:50 took some motivation to get up for but still managed to zombie out and only add 3-4 minutes to my time.

Lucky me got voluntold to do the 750m Le Mans run start at the beginning, Kinda cool to have done it once but a 5-7 minute run isnt the funnest way to start a MTB race:

also I had strava running on my iPhone for my 2nd lap that started at 9pm approx there is about 1km extra of going from the campsite to the start and back after on the lap:

https://www.strava.com/activities/349101297

Super good vibes from most everyone there when on the course and in the campsite/arena area. Lots of broken chains and flats so bring your tubes/lube your chain/bring links/tools with you on the ride.

Our team was Gears and Beers and we always had a cold one waiting for the guy you were switching off of from the relay. I think its key to figure out if you're going to win, or just to have fun and hang with your buddies or a combo of both.

Edit: Also why was there no beer garden this year? we had to send someone to town to get beer when it would of been much easier to just hop over to the garden to get some. strange planning with that.

good times!

Last edited by BurningYears; 07-21-2015 at 10:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurningYears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #2442
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

This question may already be answered in this thread but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is the Canmore Nordic centre family friendly trail wise? 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl....
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #2443
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, hated the running start at 24 hours. Also finding out that yes, you will in fact have to ride that last lap becuase the guy in front of you got in 5 minutes before cut off...

As for Nordic Centre, yes it is fine for family. You can set out on the Banff trail for a nice cruise without to many hills. Some of the lower stuff is a little nicer to ride due to less gravel but there are more hills, you can dip into it and see what you think without getting into to much trouble. You can ride a ton of stuff that is not single track, all the winter cross country trails would be fine. Around town also has lots of pathways by the river that are very nice, no hills at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #2444
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I would use the 24 speed in the winter as is until the drive-train needs replacing and then make the jump to 9/10 spd.
That's exactly what my plan is. Next cassette change, I'll repack the hubs and throw on 9 speed. I'm just asking if someone has done this and what their results were.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #2445
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Lucky me got voluntold to do the 750m Le Mans run start at the beginning, Kinda cool to have done it once but a 5-7 minute run isnt the funnest way to start a MTB race
Did you see the nasty crash on the first lap? First one guy low sided and went skidding down on his own at high speed. He was fine.

Shortly after, when you come back around by the stadium and hit the next big up hill, two guys touched tires mid climb, and one guy's arm hit something sharp and his entire lower forearm was one big meat flap. I'm surprised I didn't puke as he stumbled by to get help.

On my first lap the guy in front of me tried to show off for the crowd by jumping off the big wooden crossover ramp. All I saw was a bike and a carcass come flying off the side of the ramp, and a very embarrassed guy pretend he wasn't hurt and continue on to climb up the first hill.

And you're right, many, many broken chains. I would not ride that course without a chain tool.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #2446
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Did you see the nasty crash on the first lap? First one guy low sided and went skidding down on his own at high speed. He was fine.

Shortly after, when you come back around by the stadium and hit the next big up hill, two guys touched tires mid climb, and one guy's arm hit something sharp and his entire lower forearm was one big meat flap. I'm surprised I didn't puke as he stumbled by to get help.

On my first lap the guy in front of me tried to show off for the crowd by jumping off the big wooden crossover ramp. All I saw was a bike and a carcass come flying off the side of the ramp, and a very embarrassed guy pretend he wasn't hurt and continue on to climb up the first hill.

And you're right, many, many broken chains. I would not ride that course without a chain tool.

I heard about the first crash after I got back from my lap. I think I managed to get closer to the front then the back so I didnt end up getting caught up in that. Happily I missed seeing any of that. I had a guy from my team holding my bike/shoes/camelback for me near the front so I didnt get as caught up in the crowd that way. Although I recall during that climb I was about half a foot off guys tires multiple times due to the congestion.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #2447
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh, yesterday i was ready to toss my commuter bike into the river as i got a flat on the way home - this is my second flat of the year that happened int eh same spot on my ride.

the first time i was ill prepared as i left my pump at home and all i had was CO2 cartridges.

this time i had my pump, CO2 cartridges, patches and a tube that was previously patched.......tried patching the tube, and the patches worked like crap - thought i swap tubes, but the tube i had was previously patched with same crappy patches (dumb em for not testing the patch job before putting them in my repair kit) - and throughout horsing around i burned through three CO2 cartridges.

my takeway in all this, carry three tubes for my commuter bikes and give up on CO2 cartridges and only trust a pump........
Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #2448
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

New tubes are cheap, I always have a new one with me...Saving a few bucks is never worth the frustration of a patched one failing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #2449
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I keep patches for emergency purposes only. A couple extra tubes are always worth it.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #2450
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
my takeway in all this, carry three tubes for my commuter bikes and give up on CO2 cartridges and only trust a pump........
Yeah that's happened to me a few times - walking back to the bike rack after work and finding a flat. Sucks.

Instead of changing a tube at work - anyone know if they make fix-a-flat for presta valves? I'll change the tube at home, but would love to leave a can of that in the office for a quick seal and ride home.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #2451
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why not just take out the core of the presta valve and squirt some Stan's in there? Don't have to risk being slowed down on the commute.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #2452
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have also mentioned that the tubes in question were slime tubes.....$12 us each via jensen usa
Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #2453
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode merlin's view today....what a great morning for a ride....no wind, a tiny bit of rain to cool off the climb, and best of all, very little trail traffic, made for a quick ride down from the bragging rights/reconnect intersection.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #2454
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just got home from there! Did BR to MerlinX2, then out.

BTW, highly recommend the fb group MTB: Trail conditions for Calgary area. Very informative, especially with this weird weather we are having.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #2455
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ 2 laps of Merlin.....nice.

Can you climb the whole thing on your bike? I can do about 85% of it now.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #2456
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nope. Going counter clockwise, the sight of that uphill open meadow before the bench just deflates me. I usually take a break coming out of the trees. So yeah, I'd put me at around 80% too. Out of curiosity, do you run into people looping Merlin clockwise? It's pretty obvious the trail designers had counter-clockwise in mind - the undulating rhythm section, choice of air/ride around, heavily banked turns on the downhill side. Yesterday evening, I had to yield to 3 groups coming up clockwise. Sort of annoying.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #2457
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have yet to across any riding it clockwise, would sure change the trail a lot though.

I like that last stretch before the bench. It is a manageable climb, witha rest stop.

I sure love to be able to ride right from the lot, to that first crest where the trail starts to flow a little.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #2458
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got back from Fernie, man I love riding there. So much fun, and so much to ride. Unfortunately we didn't get to ride today because the weather went south.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #2459
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ bossy any specific trail recommendations as i am heading tehre with the family in tow next week.

My son is interested in trying some of the easy runs at the ski resort.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #2460
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
This question may already be answered in this thread but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is the Canmore Nordic centre family friendly trail wise? 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl....
i did not see this question before. for the most part i would say that it is ok - there are a few sections where you will likely have to push your bikes up. there is a fire road that runs along the middle part of the CNC that offers up a fantastic view of the bow valley.

a better option for you, because of your childrens age) would be the trail around canmore itself - it goes by some parks, so be prepared to make a couple of stops. very little elvation change on these trails, it is a nice way to ease the kids into biking.
Closed Thread