Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #2421
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone still looking the Forest lawn target has 2 XBox Ones and a PS4 in-stock.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #2422
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Feel free to pile on about this opinion as I'm not really that passionate about it, but might it be time to split this thread off into separate PS4 and Xbox One threads? If people would rather just use this one it's totally cool... I'm just curious what others think.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #2423
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol there already are separate Xbox One and PS4 threads, this was just supposed to be the thread where people came to complain about the fanboyism that the fans of the other console that they themselves do not exhibit.

Enough crossover between consoles I guess one thread is easier at this point.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #2424
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

A split thread would naturally spill over one another with a need for this thread at times. Might as well keep it all here. Besides, I do like seeing the posts (not all about bashing) for XBone despite being a PS4 fan.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #2425
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Fair enough. As you were.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2426
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

So now after owning both systems for ~Approx 4 months, I think I can speak to my experiences on both.

Xbox One - Love what Microsoft has tried to do with the system. The idea of a console integrated into the living room is a great one. However, many of the features are pretty half-baked or not really implemented yet.

Kinect is still terrible, and never really seems to work as intended. I like running my TV through the system, but the lack of having the system able to record shows or work with Shaw/Telus etc sucks. Also seems every few weeks I need to do a hard reset on the console, because the HDMI signal goes choppy.If you want to own the living room, you need to actually be able to everything that an existing setup can do.

However, I love the new controller and have had a blast with games like TitanFall, Ryse, Forza and Killer Instinct.

Overall, most of the living room features I hope are improved in updates, and I have to give the edge to Microsoft in the games so far.

PS4 - This system is truly a game console. Feels very "next-gen" and when you are playing a game on it, it is fantastic. Controller is improved over the previous DS.

However, not all is perfect. No 3D out of the box is an annoyance. Game library has been underwhelming, as I thought Killzone and Knack were pretty average. In fact, the console has pretty much been collecting dust, while I wait for some of the enxt gen games to come out. It is nice you can some free games on PS+, but with Dark Souls 2 and stick of Turth being PS3, my PS4 has sat there being lonely. Hopefully, Infamous: second son changes that.

Overall, love both systems, but there is still a ways to go.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #2427
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post

Xbox One - Love what Microsoft has tried to do with the system. The idea of a console integrated into the living room is a great one. However, many of the features are pretty half-baked or not really implemented yet.

Kinect is still terrible, and never really seems to work as intended. I like running my TV through the system, but the lack of having the system able to record shows or work with Shaw/Telus etc sucks. Also seems every few weeks I need to do a hard reset on the console, because the HDMI signal goes choppy.If you want to own the living room, you need to actually be able to everything that an existing setup can do.
Just set up my Xbox One late last night, and I think just having the tv integration feature has great potential. I kept playing around switching back and forth between various Apps. Although there is quite a learning curve I think I'll be using it regularly, I totally see myself switching back and forth between games, netflix, and Flames games.

I agree though, things feel a bit incomplete so far. My intial experience with Kinect so far has been pretty good, but sometimes I had to repeat a phrase a couple times.

One awesome thing is that I started to download Titanfall via scanning the code on kinect (no annoying code input), turned off the system, and when I checked in the morning it was all downloaded and installed.

The other thing I will give MS credit for is they seem to be on the ball with updating the system regularly, so I hope that a lot of the items that you've mentioned will be improved rapidly.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #2428
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

To add for the PS4, I'm interested to see what PS Now will be like. For someone who didn't own a PS3 it would be nice to try out some of the games that I missed out on, until some more games come out for PS4 that is.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #2429
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Just set up my Xbox One late last night, and I think just having the tv integration feature has great potential. I kept playing around switching back and forth between various Apps. Although there is quite a learning curve I think I'll be using it regularly, I totally see myself switching back and forth between games, netflix, and Flames games.

I agree though, things feel a bit incomplete so far. My intial experience with Kinect so far has been pretty good, but sometimes I had to repeat a phrase a couple times.

One awesome thing is that I started to download Titanfall via scanning the code on kinect (no annoying code input), turned off the system, and when I checked in the morning it was all downloaded and installed.

The other thing I will give MS credit for is they seem to be on the ball with updating the system regularly, so I hope that a lot of the items that you've mentioned will be improved rapidly.
It is really weird. Kinect works 100% of the time when you need to snap the tv or watch a movie, but whenever I want to show someone the features, it never works for the first couple tries.

My number one feature for the xbox is snap TV, (although I wish I could size it different). Playing Titanfall while watching the game is just an awesome experience.

I agree on the scanning and updates it does work quite well.

The system has amazing potential, and is already solid out of the box. Can't wait to see this thing in a year or two.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #2430
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
To add for the PS4, I'm interested to see what PS Now will be like. For someone who didn't own a PS3 it would be nice to try out some of the games that I missed out on, until some more games come out for PS4 that is.
I really hope they go a model like Netflix. Charge me a monthly fee and give me access to a library of games. However, I am afraid they will go a rent/buy model which is less appealing.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #2431
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really hope they go a model like Netflix. Charge me a monthly fee and give me access to a library of games. However, I am afraid they will go a rent/buy model which is less appealing.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned from multiple articles that you will be able to do either a monthly fee, or just pay per game rental.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #2432
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like running my TV through the system, but the lack of having the system able to record shows or work with Shaw/Telus etc sucks.
This is on its way, I assure you. Speaking from experience here, the TV and OneGuide integration with Shaw is wicked.

The Xbox One won't record shows - your PVR will continue to perform that role. It's due to HDCP restrictions AFAIK. The Xbox One will control the device however, so you can change channels with it, etc.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #2433
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm very interested to see what that monthly fee would be. I'm not sure what I'd pay for something like that. I'd also wonder if the rental titles and the subscription titles are the same... my guess is the rentals would be much stronger.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #2434
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the Netflix model would be awesome...although I would probably spend an hour browsing like I do now with netflix
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #2435
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned from multiple articles that you will be able to do either a monthly fee, or just pay per game rental.
Yeah sounds like it will be both.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ren.../1100-6418204/
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #2436
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Probably just a placeholder image, but this leaked shot has Uncharted 3 rental at $5.

What I'd like is a way to put my ps3 disc in so it recognizes I own the game, then let me stream it for a small fee. Likely a pipe dream but it would be great.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #2437
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So now after owning both systems for ~Approx 4 months, I think I can speak to my experiences on both.

However, I love the new controller and have had a blast with games like TitanFall, Ryse, Forza and Killer Instinct.

Overall, most of the living room features I hope are improved in updates, and I have to give the edge to Microsoft in the games so far.

PS4 - This system is truly a game console. Feels very "next-gen" and when you are playing a game on it, it is fantastic. Controller is improved over the previous DS.

However, not all is perfect. No 3D out of the box is an annoyance. Game library has been underwhelming, as I thought Killzone and Knack were pretty average. In fact, the console has pretty much been collecting dust, while I wait for some of the enxt gen games to come out. It is nice you can some free games on PS+, but with Dark Souls 2 and stick of Turth being PS3, my PS4 has sat there being lonely. Hopefully, Infamous: second son changes that.

Overall, love both systems, but there is still a ways to go.
Your experience with both virtually mirrors mine. It's my feeling the XBone was rushed out before it was complete to compete head to head with Sony as I agree that the Kinect and dashboard were both half baked on arrival. My issues with connect I feel have to do with mine being in a room that has a double high ceiling as other owners with similar setups seem to have more voice recognition issues than those in more enclosed rooms. Also agree that the games right now are better for XBone and the controller is still the best.

PS4 has a simpler less cluttered interface and seems more finished product to me. That said the new controller while taking a big step forward in functionality has taken 4 steps back with battery life. I'm having to charge mine multiple times a week and with the PS3 I had to do it maybe twice a month max. You absolutely need two controllers going at the same time and pay close attention to battery levels as the cables that come with them aren't long enough for my setup so I can't play and charge. Sony needs to fix this ASAP as this battery life is unacceptable and I expect a lot of the drain is due to the useless big blue/orange light on them. Get rid of it and just give us a controller that can go at least a week without a recharge. No real good exclusives for the PS4 so I am hoping that Infamous is an improvement on the first two games that were fun at first then boring and repetitive. As far as the graphics advantage goes I guess the edge is with the PS4 although I haven't really seen much to choose between the systems so far as Ryse was probably the best looking game I've seen to date on the new consoles with Killzone a close 2nd.

Bottom line is that it's going to take a year for both of these systems to hit their stride as the game lineups on both overall are pretty weak.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-13-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #2438
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
What I'd like is a way to put my ps3 disc in so it recognizes I own the game, then let me stream it for a small fee. Likely a pipe dream but it would be great.
Not likely. What stops me from borrowing your game disc, and then streaming said game for the same fee?

I thought perhaps Xbox One *could* actually pull this off by including one-time use QR codes in the case for the retail disc that registers to your Xbox Live ID. But then what stops me from registering the QR code on your console and using the disc on mine?

It's a tough problem to tackle.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #2439
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Not likely. What stops me from borrowing your game disc, and then streaming said game for the same fee?

I thought perhaps Xbox One *could* actually pull this off by including one-time use QR codes in the case for the retail disc that registers to your Xbox Live ID. But then what stops me from registering the QR code on your console and using the disc on mine?

It's a tough problem to tackle.
Who cares? If you restrict it so the streaming will only work when the legacy disc is in the system that's all you need
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #2440
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Who cares? If you restrict it so the streaming will only work when the legacy disc is in the system that's all you need
That's what they did with the PS3 --> PS4 digital upgrade for Battlefield 4, COD, and Assassin's Creed, and it was pretty hard to trick (I mean... I heard).