Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #2381
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I bet the Rangers have already started a 3 prong campaign to sign him.
Subliminal, liminal, and superliminal
sregnar eht nioj
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #2382
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames get a 2nd round pick if he doesn't sign right?

I don't know that his value is much more than that right now. Yes he was a 1st rounder but it's more about his value now. I haven't watched his games but in the highlights, I don't see too much special there. Nothing to really wow you like Johnny was in college (not that this is a fair comparison). Good size and skills for sure, but at this point, I don't see much more than Joe Colborne.

Is Colborne worth a 2nd round pick?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #2383
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I think that's probably the key right there. If Calgary can't do what they did for Gaudreau and Arnold and burn a year off his ELC, then you really can' blame a guy for thinking "Hmmmm, I have a chance to sign with absolutely anyone"

I don't know if he would do it, but you couldn't blame a guy for thinking it.
True. But you gotta think at this point... Who is in this guy's ear that would convince him to go someplace else? It's possible that he has a childhood fantasy of playing for the Montreal or another team promises him minutes, who knows? But considering this guy's dad is employed by hockey Canada to help run the National Jr. Program, I am making the leap of faith that he values the concept of making a team through worth and having loyalty to those who supported you. His dad would have also worked with Brad Pasqual in some capacity. Burke and Conroy are also well-respected in the college scene, with the added bonus of Burke being a Providence alum. we have 3 Providence players/alum in our system, one of whom is seemingly a good friend. Everything to me points towards Janko staying a Flame.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #2384
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burn the first year like Johnny and Arnold... problem solved... No point in stressing over it...
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #2385
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Burn the first year like Johnny and Arnold... problem solved... No point in stressing over it...
How can you do that when they likely won't sign until after the season ends?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #2386
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
How can you do that when they likely won't sign until after the season ends?
If he plays in the playoffs does that burn a year? Did we burn a year on Gilies last summer?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #2387
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

I don't know that his value is much more than that right now. Yes he was a 1st rounder but it's more about his value now. I haven't watched his games but in the highlights, I don't see too much special there. Nothing to really wow you like Johnny was in college (not that this is a fair comparison). Good size and skills for sure, but at this point, I don't see much more than Joe Colborne.

Colborne has nothing to do with it. I would rather have Janko than the 50th something pick.

(and just for fun, I think Colborne might be worth a similar pick, give or take)
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #2388
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I think that's about what he's worth. He is now a bonafide NHLer who is steadily increasing his PPG every year, 6'5" and he can skate and play on your 3rd line.

That said Colborne's value is not really relevant because right out of college his value was higher, and right out of college Jankowski's perceived value is better than that.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #2389
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If he plays in the playoffs does that burn a year? Did we burn a year on Gilies last summer?
Yes and yes.

If Providence goes back to the Frozen Four final and the Flames don't make the playoffs, both teams will play their last game at the same time. If Providence doesn't make it back to the Frozen Four and/or the Flames do make the playoffs, burning a year of his contract won't be a problem.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #2390
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'm not panicking either, I'd say over 90% he signs with the Flames. It's not fair to say that's because of character though. There's 29 other teams that would've treated him the same, it's not like he's be a bad person here for choosing elsewhere.
I dunno, to me it rubs me the wrong way when you bail on the team that put so much effort and development into you. Let me rephrase, I think Janko (like Johnny) has too much character to stab the flames in the back.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #2391
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

If you asked me 2 years ago what I'd prefer

a) Jankowski doesn't develop, Flames let him walk get compensation pick
b) Jankowski develops and CP goes into panic mode before August

I'm pretty sure I'd take the "angst" and a player over the walk away and a pick. Good problem to have. Luckily the Flames have supported the kid all along making it unlikely he plays the market.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #2392
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Why are you comparing Gaudreau to Jankowski?

Jankowski plays a more important position, has top-6 skills and is a big body. He's also VERY good defensively and on face-offs.

Of course he isn't as skilled as Gaudreau, but there are only a few NHLers that are as skilled as Gaudreau, let alone in the NCAA.

I would rather have him signed than receive a pick, even a 1st round pick. He's taken this long to develop and has progressed well every step of the way. I mean he was playing high school hockey when drafted, it takes time.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #2393
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Lol, good looking player but bad pick because you stubbornly said so at the time? If the player is good, the pick is good. It honestly seems like the perfect time to have taken a project player. He is on exactly the timeline that he was projected to be on, and looks seriously good doing it.

What do you think is a 'real' chance? 5%? 50%? Anything to keep the bogus narrative of 'bad pick' alive, right?
I don't have any information about it, but my assumption is that any player would prefer to be a UFA over being tied to one team. I think he probably signs with Flames, and I sure hope he does.
I don't see why one can't criticize the thinking behind the decision without being gang tackled by everyone. It was a poor decision at the time, regardless of how it pans out. There were players available with much less risk associated to them...and the 2012 Flames were not in a position to be gamblers.
Even if you hit that inside straight on the river it doesn't mean it was a good decision to call the bet....
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #2394
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=getbak;5544745]Yes and yes.

If Providence goes back to the Frozen Four final and the Flames don't make the playoffs, both teams will play their last game at the same time. If Providence doesn't make it back to the Frozen Four and/or the Flames do make the playoffs, burning a year of his contract won't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how eager the coach would be to put in a rookie in a playoff game just so they can burn that year. Would be an interesting conversation to hear.

Last edited by Robbob; 12-15-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #2395
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the upmost faith that Jankowski is not going to deke out on the Flames at the end of the year. here was this massive consternation with Gaudreau too. hat turned out well for CGY. Jankowski should see that Backlund is his placeholder and it's only a matter of time and a little more work in the AHL before he gets a seat at the big boys table. I'm really glad he's developed properly and actually has gotten a lot of CP to finally wake up and start to worry about him not signing here.

For all the years of endless debate on him, getting to this point is good.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #2396
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes and yes.

If Providence goes back to the Frozen Four final and the Flames don't make the playoffs, both teams will play their last game at the same time. If Providence doesn't make it back to the Frozen Four and/or the Flames do make the playoffs, burning a year of his contract won't be a problem.
I don't know how eager the coach would be to put in a rookie in a playoff game just so they can burn that year. Would be an interesting conversation to hear.
he doesnt have to play a game to burn a year. Jon Gillies burned a year without playing a game.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #2397
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Robbob;5544780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes and yes.

If Providence goes back to the Frozen Four final and the Flames don't make the playoffs, both teams will play their last game at the same time. If Providence doesn't make it back to the Frozen Four and/or the Flames do make the playoffs, burning a year of his contract won't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

It depends how Janko's season goes and what the Flames injury situation is like. Kreider made his NHL debut in the playoffs and was a pretty solid player in his limited role. Janko would add size to our lineup and would likely be coming in hot. Sam Bennett played one game and then was a fixture on our playoff roster maybe Jankowski can do the same?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #2398
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If you asked me 2 years ago what I'd prefer

a) Jankowski doesn't develop, Flames let him walk get compensation pick
b) Jankowski develops and CP goes into panic mode before August

I'm pretty sure I'd take the "angst" and a player over the walk away and a pick. Good problem to have. Luckily the Flames have supported the kid all along making it unlikely he plays the market.
The Flames wouldn't get the pick if he didn't develop and they "let him walk". They have to offer him a contract 1st. It's after he declines they receive the compensation.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #2399
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Jankowski wants to be a Flame and I think development camp does a good job in building a bond to the team.

The other aspect I think isn't there a history with the Jankowski and Button family. IIRC wasn't Tod Button a babysitter for the Jankowski family, and their families were close friends due to the NHL and the scouting connections.

If Button is in the organization still, and was the one who scouted the kid, may make him more likely to sign here.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #2400
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
he doesnt have to play a game to burn a year. Jon Gillies burned a year without playing a game.
Thought they did with the whole plane waiting on the tarmac for Johnny and Arnold. Good to know.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote