Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2023, 02:35 PM   #221
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's up to a 10 year term so the monthly payment would just be the amount borrowed divided by 120.

$40k / 120 = $333 / month
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #222
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, I had my first introductory presentation today from Zeno,

I think my system size is designed to be about 7.9 kW, around $20k.

With the federal 0% loan, and the $5k grant, i'd end up paying about he same average money per month, but instead of paying to Enmax, I'd be paying to pay off the loan, on top of that, I
d end up with a $5k cheque to either pay off the loan, or do whatever else I want to do with it.

And if electricity rates go up in the future, I'm just further ahead.

I have to up front some money, but I get that all covered by the loan - what's the catch here? It seems like a no brainer.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #223
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I have to up front some money, but I get that all covered by the loan - what's the catch here? It seems like a no brainer.
The risk in general to home solar is net-metering changes in the future; the utilities decide they no longer want to buy electricity from homeowners or the solar clubs can't afford to offer the very beneficial seasonal rates they have now. Most homeowners will not be able to self-consume 5+ kW of panel production during the summer months.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #224
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, I had my first introductory presentation today from Zeno,

I think my system size is designed to be about 7.9 kW, around $20k.

With the federal 0% loan, and the $5k grant, i'd end up paying about he same average money per month, but instead of paying to Enmax, I'd be paying to pay off the loan, on top of that, I
d end up with a $5k cheque to either pay off the loan, or do whatever else I want to do with it.

You can also sign up to sell your carbon offset credits which I believe should be around $4000 over ten years or something like that.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 10:16 AM   #225
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I guess the catches also include if you move residence before your loan is up, if your demand goes up for things like adding an AC or charging 4 EV's, insuring the panels? (probably already answered in this thread somewhere I didn't read), etc.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #226
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I guess the catches also include if you move residence before your loan is up, if your demand goes up for things like adding an AC or charging 4 EV's, insuring the panels? (probably already answered in this thread somewhere I didn't read), etc.
In those scenarios you can get approval from Enmax to add more panels. I'll be doing this shortly after completing a renovation at our home that has seen our electrical usage go up from what it used to be.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #227
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Is getting a solar system installed when you'll probably need a new roof in 5-ish years stupid? Does roof replacement get a lot more expensive/difficult?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #228
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Is getting a solar system installed when you'll probably need a new roof in 5-ish years stupid? Does roof replacement get a lot more expensive/difficult?
Yes, they'll have to remove everything and replace it. Better to put the new roof on at the same time. I think the brackets can be better integrated into the shingles if done then.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #229
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about doing two roofs separately? My attached garage has a heavily sloped, unobstructed south facing roof, ideal for solar. The shingles on the whole place probably have 5-10 years left (depending on hail, etc). I'm not inclined to replace them all to add solar, but the garage has a separate "section" of roof that doesn't touch the remainder of the house (the garage roof is lower). Any issues doing just that piece with solar and the rest later?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:40 PM   #230
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
What about doing two roofs separately? My attached garage has a heavily sloped, unobstructed south facing roof, ideal for solar. The shingles on the whole place probably have 5-10 years left (depending on hail, etc). I'm not inclined to replace them all to add solar, but the garage has a separate "section" of roof that doesn't touch the remainder of the house (the garage roof is lower). Any issues doing just that piece with solar and the rest later?
I don't think there would be any issues with that in terms of solar design, install and the electric stuff. I think the only concern would be with the federal grant/loan program. You'd probably want to have enough cost on the garage roof to get the $5000 grant and I think you can only apply for federal loan once. You could potentially do the federal loan for garage and the City of Calgary loan program for the house later on. Of course if you don't need loans that stuff is irrelevant.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #231
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cool stuff, how long did your loan process take? I applied about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't been approved. I suspect the person looking after my application is slacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Application took about 5 days. I think it was quick because I made a mistake on the original application, I had submitted the pre-GST amount and the quote from the contractor came in higher, so NRCAN needed to contact me directly to clarify. I think that's why it went so quickly otherwise I'd probably still be waiting
My loan was finally approved today. I applied at the beginning of Feb and they sent my approval document this morning. I had pretty much given up hope for this and was expecting to have to pay for the solar system with my own money next month.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:26 AM   #232
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Keep your emergency egress in mind. We have Zeno come out and they proposed panels on attached garage roof as well but that's our emergency exit route incase of fire.
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:32 AM   #233
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Calgary14, when you went through the loan application process did you receive an initial loan advance? If so, how long did that take to get deposited into your account? In my document it says it would be deposited no sooner than 3 business days but that is a very vague timeline because that could be a week or it could be a month or more.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #234
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is day 1 of my solar panel install. Hopefully it goes up without too many issues. It is perfect timing because my old, cheap Enmax three year fixed plan expires on Monday so I will potentially only have a couple days on the RRO before I can switch to a solar club.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2023, 08:07 AM   #235
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Today is day 1 of my solar panel install. Hopefully it goes up without too many issues. It is perfect timing because my old, cheap Enmax three year fixed plan expires on Monday so I will potentially only have a couple days on the RRO before I can switch to a solar club.
I heard the RRO is going up to $0.30! That's insane Europe type prices
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #236
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hey Calgary14, when you went through the loan application process did you receive an initial loan advance? If so, how long did that take to get deposited into your account? In my document it says it would be deposited no sooner than 3 business days but that is a very vague timeline because that could be a week or it could be a month or more.
I didn't get an advance, I was told I would only get the funding after the panels have been installed. They did need 15% as a deposit up front and I paid that out of pocket
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #237
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I didn't get an advance, I was told I would only get the funding after the panels have been installed. They did need 15% as a deposit up front and I paid that out of pocket
The advance did finally show up in my account about a week ago.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #238
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there anything I need to do once I get solar panels installed - notify Enmax? My rate ends in June. If I sign up for a solar club does that impact anything with Enmax? Has anyone signed up for solar offset credits?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:27 PM   #239
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen
Old 05-11-2023, 05:01 PM   #240
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
Not much to see right now as it was just the racking, wiring and inverter boxes that were installed. Tomorrow the panels actually get put up and it starts looking like something cool.