Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #221
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I know you said recent but Gary Suter Brett Hull and Theoren Fleury were okay NHLers
Less teams in those days my friend. But yes, all excellent NHLers
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #222
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This Murphy kid is interesting if BT could get a solid vet to pair him with he could turn his career around.From reading about him it sounds like confidence issues but he has the talent.Almost sounds like a Justin Shultz situation.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #223
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Here goes the puns - there's no lack of changes in the backend this offseason; but the Flames are still lacking a first line right winger!
my reaction to your jokes:

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #224
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea why Carolina just gave up Lack for nothing and agreed to pay 50% of his salary? I thought he was supposed to unseat Cam Ward and they were really high on him. Attitude problem, not getting along with the other players or was he suck last season? Kind of weird that they were quick to unload him and still willing to pay him.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #225
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Any idea why Carolina just gave up Lack for nothing and agreed to pay 50% of his salary? I thought he was supposed to unseat Cam Ward and they were really high on him. Attitude problem, not getting along with the other players or was he suck last season? Kind of weird that they were quick to unload him and still willing to pay him.
Coach wasn't a fan of Lack there in Raleigh. Also not the greatest stats either.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 PM   #226
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible trade. Kanzig is twice the player of Lack and Murphy combined. Oh wait.. he is just twice the size.

Flames should sit Eddie's dad next to Ferland's mom. Maybe they get together, and then can double-date with Gaudreau's parents!!

In all seriousness, I am not a huge fan of this. Kanzig wasn't a detriment in any way for the Flames, and I thought he was a very interesting and unique prospect. He was a long shot, but if he made the big show, he would have been quite the scary 6th defencemen. I mean, it isn't a huge loss organizationally or anything, just personally wanted to see this kid succeed as he may have had the highest work ethic of any player organizationally. Wish him well in Carolina.

Lack was low on my list, and was really hoping Bouma would go the other way in this trade. However, with Carolina's retention, that saves valuable cap space for next season. Also, if Rittich/Gillies is ready to step up as a backup next season, and Lack has a good season, it is an easy asset to trade.

Just hope Lack does well.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #227
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Apparently they tried to alter the way he plays and it had disastrous results.

Flames obviously believe they can right the ship and bought low. Like extremely, extremely low.

I'd still like to know what Burke was thinking signing Kanzig so quickly. Thank goodnesshe hired Treliving and didnt remain GM himself.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #228
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Terrible trade. Kanzig is twice the player of Lack and Murphy combined. Oh wait.. he is just twice the size.

Flames should sit Eddie's dad next to Ferland's mom. Maybe they get together, and then can double-date with Gaudreau's parents!!

In all seriousness, I am not a huge fan of this. Kanzig wasn't a detriment in any way for the Flames, and I thought he was a very interesting and unique prospect. He was a long shot, but if he made the big show, he would have been quite the scary 6th defencemen. I mean, it isn't a huge loss organizationally or anything, just personally wanted to see this kid succeed as he may have had the highest work ethic of any player organizationally. Wish him well in Carolina.

Lack was low on my list, and was really hoping Bouma would go the other way in this trade. However, with Carolina's retention, that saves valuable cap space for next season. Also, if Rittich/Gillies is ready to step up as a backup next season, and Lack has a good season, it is an easy asset to trade.

Kanzig is already 4 years out from being drafted with two years pro under his belt and still cant crack our AHL roster. We gave up basically nothing for two recclamation projects.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #229
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think GG gave Tre confidence that Lack still had game.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #230
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kanzig had the hockey smarts and size but his skating prevents him from being an NHL calibre d man
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #231
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Strange -- a post from you that isn't 10 paragraphs long...

Quote:

Aside from getting an elite starter for nothing, this is a pretty ideal situation: Smith and Lack both have a proven track record, and if they don't succeed at least as well as that record would indicate, they will be able to absorb all the heat, from within the team and without.

Elliott and Johnson were given a chance to step up in their careers, and didn't satisfactorily earn the confidence of the team or the fans. When things went bad people looked around and said "who can we rely on?"

At the very least Smith has seen the downs, and won't let it become a distraction. And Lack holds all the expectation to be a serviceable backup, allowing Gillies or Rittich to step in as "savior" without the pressure.

Worst case scenario is a Hiller/Ramo situation where a previously reliable tender just completely loses it, and the backup can't bear the weight, but what are the odds of that happening again? (Don't answer...)
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #232
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

disagree, you might be the only kanzig believer out there

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #233
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found a Hurricanes piece on Ryan:

Old 06-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #234
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #235
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 180 on lack in record time is hilarious

He's not a bad goalie, the NHL goalie writer pointed out last year that Carolina asked him to play a completely brand new method when he moved over there that didn't match his style at all. Plus he had I believe 2 concussions

Never seemed to have attitude problems with teammates there, Luongo loved him

If he gets to play his style he will be an excellent backup and in a few years who knows maybe a starter

Also like vanflamesfan said in the first few posts he will be very popular with the fans

This is a great move by treliving
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #236
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Kanzig was never making the NHL with the Flames, this is a terrific trade.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #237
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kanzig is already 4 years out from being drafted with two years pro under his belt and still cant crack our AHL roster. We gave up basically nothing for two recclamation projects.
Which is why I said long-shot about Kanzig. I agree it isn't a loss to the organization (especially with the depth Calgary has been adding, even if Kanzig would have turned into something, I really doubt he would have ever passed that really nice depth Calgary has).

Don't get me wrong (including the posts above responding to my post) - I don't 'hate' this trade, and I do think it has the potential to be a filthy steal. I guess I don't think much of Ryan Murphy (undersized and just not good enough to compensate) and Lack was atrocious last season. Yes, we got them for nothing, but that's because they are essentially worth exactly that.

If Lack does well, this is an absolutely amazing trade. I will be happy with a .915 - and who knows? He may end up in the .920s or even .930s behind that defence. His cap hit makes that really, really solid. I just don't think highly of lack, so another way one can look at it is that the Flames just acquired two dead-weight contracts, but each with low cap hits for a cheaper dead-weight contract.

Once again, IF Lack does well (or if Murphy exceeds my expectations of him) this trade is yet another feather in Treliving's cap, and this off-season may push him into 'GM of the Year' talk. Definitely acknowledge that this trade has high upside, and relatively little risk. I am just not convinced the upside will ever happen, but will try to be optimistic

@Sempuki - I don't mind Smith in the least, and think if he stays healthy, Flames upgraded over last season. Sorry to let you down about the lack of paragraphs. Hope this post makes up for it!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #238
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one heck of a trade by Treliving. Pretty interesting how he gained the upper hand in this one.
Quite the start to the off season he has had already and it's not July 1 yet!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #239
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when Feaster acquired Kris Russell for a later draft pick.
Russell was a fringe player who was probably traded to avoid waivers.

I hope this trade turns, in regards to Murphy, turns out the same way.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 AM   #240
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not going to lie, didn't think I'd see Eddie Lack in a Flames jersey. Am I the only one or...? Haha