Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #221
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So far so good. He may not have a sci-fi film under his belt in terms of screenplay, but the two movies he has written are both excellently done.

They just need to hire a really good visual director now. With Disney's money they no doubt will get a good director, so I have faith.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #222
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Rumour has it that they may be trying to get Darth Vader ressurected somehow for the new trilogy:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/1...b1d4a4780002eb

If this is true, I'm torn. On the one hand, Darth Vader is the greatest villain ever, and to see him on the big screen in an all new movie series would be mind-bendingly awesome. On the other hand, he's dead, we seen the ghost, and the new trilogy needs to be a new trilogy and not just Star Wars Redux.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #223
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

This would be doubly dubious, as he essentially died twice in Jedi: one symbolically or metaphorically when he stepped in to toss the Emperor and save Luke, redeeming Anakin Skywalker, then literally when he succumbed to his injuries and was cremated.

So, what, they resurrect him and he's so pissed that he turns back to the dark side?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #224
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Rumour has it that they may be trying to get Darth Vader ressurected somehow for the new trilogy:

If this is true, I'm torn. On the one hand, Darth Vader is the greatest villain ever, and to see him on the big screen in an all new movie series would be mind-bendingly awesome. On the other hand, he's dead, we seen the ghost, and the new trilogy needs to be a new trilogy and not just Star Wars Redux.
Considering the source is a British tabloid, I wouldn't put too much faith in this rumor.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #225
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post

Anakin Skywalker is dead, but have some aspiring Sith find his armor and Darth Vader returns. it's still kinda lame, but that's a way they could do it without completely invalidating the Star Wars lore

still, it would be much better if they went in an original direction. the extended universe is filled with awesome Sith lords, many who make Vader look like a pansy. and they have a nasty habit of coming back to life through various means
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #226
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just continue after ROTS then and show Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #227
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why not just continue after ROTS then and show Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi?
I think that timeline would make for an excellent TV show. It would be easy enough to get someone in a Darth Vader suit and tell the story from both sides.

I did enjoy the Force Unleashed video games which were set during that time. Even though they were a "little" overpowered.

With the new movies being episodes 7-9 it's pretty much certain they will follow Return of the Jedi.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #228
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been hoping for the Thrawn trilogy ever since they announced they were making what turned into ep 1-2-3. Main cast would have to be recast though.

Another good story line would be based on the Dark Empire I/II comics, with the clone Emperor. This would be better than bringing back Vader. But again the main cast would have to be recast.

To use the original cast, at their current age, the Legacy of the Force series would probably be best. And their would be plenty of Boba Fett to boot.

If they wanted to go full on re-cast, they could cover the Legacy comics, with Luke making the occasional appearance as a ghost, and his descendant battling the Sith army.

With so much material out there, it will be interesting to see if they use it, or make something completely new.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anakin Skywalker is dead, but have some aspiring Sith find his armor and Darth Vader returns. it's still kinda lame, but that's a way they could do it without completely invalidating the Star Wars lore

still, it would be much better if they went in an original direction. the extended universe is filled with awesome Sith lords, many who make Vader look like a pansy. and they have a nasty habit of coming back to life through various means
Anakin is dead, bringing him back would be horrifying

To me the Sith are dead, you can have dark jedi but with Palpatine and Vader dead, the Bannite line of Sith are dead and most of that knowledge is lost unless you find a Palpatine Holocron

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
I've been hoping for the Thrawn trilogy ever since they announced they were making what turned into ep 1-2-3. Main cast would have to be recast though.

Another good story line would be based on the Dark Empire I/II comics, with the clone Emperor. This would be better than bringing back Vader. But again the main cast would have to be recast.

To use the original cast, at their current age, the Legacy of the Force series would probably be best. And their would be plenty of Boba Fett to boot.

If they wanted to go full on re-cast, they could cover the Legacy comics, with Luke making the occasional appearance as a ghost, and his descendant battling the Sith army.

With so much material out there, it will be interesting to see if they use it, or make something completely new.
Wasn't really a fan of any of those to be honest, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan.

Unless they really ramp up Thrawn, he pretty well got his a## kicked seven ways from sunset in that trilogy, the phony thrawn had more success then the original

I hated the dark empire series, it was a fanboy orgasm of superweapons with a lane way of bringing back a iconic villain in the emperor and making him a bumbling incompitant. The way that he finally died was utterly terrible.

To me Boba Fett was dead, he lived like a punk and died like a punk.

I guess in a new movie you could have a one of Luke's students fall to the dark side and travel to Korriban where he discovers some Sith Wisdom.

Personally I would prefer a break from the original sixology and either move it to the old republic era or move it several hundred years into the future.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #231
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

To me the Sith are dead, you can have dark jedi but with Palpatine and Vader dead, the Bannite line of Sith are dead and most of that knowledge is lost unless you find a Palpatine Holocron
what about all those Sith spirits on Korriban? or holocrons from any number of ancient Sith lords that could be found. hell when i was browsing the Star Wars wiki i learned that the books and comics have gone far enough into the future that an entire new Sith Empire rose up and crushed the Galactic Republic (i stopped reading the books long ago when Han and Leia's kids were still just kids, so it was all new to me)

with the amount of Sith lore in the Star Wars universe, you don't just kill two people and have it be the end of it. they'll always be around in some form or another to provide a balance for the Jedi
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #232
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bringing back Darth Vader would make a new trilogy completely illegitimate and an obvious cash grab right from the get-go. Not to mention completely ruining the original trilogy (which the prequels almost accomplished).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #233
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Clone?!

Oh I hope not.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
what about all those Sith spirits on Korriban? or holocrons from any number of ancient Sith lords that could be found. hell when i was browsing the Star Wars wiki i learned that the books and comics have gone far enough into the future that an entire new Sith Empire rose up and crushed the Galactic Republic (i stopped reading the books long ago when Han and Leia's kids were still just kids, so it was all new to me)

with the amount of Sith lore in the Star Wars universe, you don't just kill two people and have it be the end of it. they'll always be around in some form or another to provide a balance for the Jedi
To be honest, the Bane Books, the Darth Plageous books and even the Return of the Sith novel realy gie a sense that the whole Sith thing is more then a person merely falling to the dark side of the force and going all evil

Out comes my nerd shirt.

First and foremost the Sith don't see themselves as evil. They see the universe as what it is, the weak get crushed by the strong. The weak should serve the strong.

they also see the Sith code as a truism, Peace is a lie, and the final part through victory my chains are broken.

In other words they see the universe for what it is, they see the Jedi as entirely flawed because they serve the force instead of using the force for what it is.

Remember also that the Jedi gain power through knowledge whereas the Sith gain knowledge through power.

The Jedi believe in peace and justice.

The Sith believe in order and justice.

Why I stand on the Sith being gone.

If you look at the philosphy of the Bannite rule. Two there is a master and a apprentice, one to embody the power and one to crave it.

Basically the Sith feel that the dark side of the force is at its most powerful when its concentrated on the fewest worth individuals as possible.

The Master apprentice dynamic is also incredibly facinating. The Master takes all fo the information that he learns from his previous master and continues to add new knowledge which he passes down to his apprentice. Once the Apprentice becomes powerful enough to surpass his master, he or she will rise up and kill the master and take all of the knowledge gained and pass it onto a new apprentice while continuing to learn more.

At the same time instead of actively confronting the Jedi, they work from the shadows and set about actively causing the republic to rot until they're smart enough and powerful enough to reveal themselves, destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy, not to destroy it, but to run it.

With all the knowledge passed down from Bane to Zannah to Cognus and all the way through to Plageous and Sideous with thousands of years of learning and culling the weak, Palpatine was pretty much a pure embodiment of thousands of years of learning and concentrated dark side.

When he died and Vader was killed, that knowledge was lost, it was interesting in the Bane books as it sounds like most of the Sith Holocrons were one use only and destroyed once a Sith used it and added its knowledge to his to protect the information.

Even though there might have been a Darth Sideous Holocron, it would take someone several life times to absorb all of that knowledge and pass it on.

You could have a dark Jedi threat in the movie, but Dark Jedi are not Sith, they're usually just evil demented hate filled former Jedi driven by the thought of revenge and destruction.

But they are nowhere near a Sith.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #235
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^^^^

Yeah, the EU needs to be avoided in the movies because of posts like that.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #236
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My nerd shirt is humbled.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something tells me that this would be difficult to translate to film.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #238
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If one was to follow the books, I assume the Thrawn Trilogy follows Return of the Jedi, whay comes after the Thrawn trilogy?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #239
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
If one was to follow the books, I assume the Thrawn Trilogy follows Return of the Jedi, whay comes after the Thrawn trilogy?
Some of the most horrifying writing ever seen?

There are a whole lot of books, the next immediate series is the Jedi Academy series which takes place after the Dark Empire comics.

I think that it terms of series there the really long war with the Vong some of it good, some bad some a blatent rip off of Lord of the Rings. Then there's the Killik wars, followed by the legacy series where Anakin Skywalkers grandson goes evil. Then the Fate of the Jedi which was just a mess.

In between those there are single book and quick series by the dozens.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #240
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How is the Thrawn Trilogy?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote