Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #221
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1W3j1h4O3

This is a pretty clear 'Hail Mary' pass here.

On the one hand, if you can get Kaka for £17.5M and he plays like he did, or even close to like he did for Milan, then thats a great deal.

On the other hand, if you get the overpaid, oft-injured Kaka of recent form, then that is a hosing of the highest order.
To me this smells of BS. I really don't think Wenger wants Kaka, he just wants to be able to say, "see, I tried to bring in quality."
Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #222
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adebayor sitting in the stands with Levy, medical completed
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Adebayor sitting in the stands with Levy, medical completed
More Arsenal washouts to join the crew.

Seriously though, thats a good bit of business depending on how much Spurs have to pay of his wages.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #224
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

its on the official site now

Theres no way Levy would have broken the wage structure, so I doubt he gets more than Rafa/Luka is which is I think 70k a week. But I don't see City paying 100k a week to have him play at Spurs

so I am guessing he's getting 70k a week and Spurs paid a loan fee to offset some of City's cost and have an option to buy at the end of the year
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #225
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More Arsenal washouts to join the crew.

Seriously though, thats a good bit of business depending on how much Spurs have to pay of his wages.
Apparently Arabia is paying half.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Apparently Arabia is paying half.
That still leaves Spurs on the hook for about £90k/week. What does that do to the wage structure? Modric might have a few choice words about that....

Uh, the announcer just said that it seems Brad Friedel is Spurs' undisputed #1 now? Whats the deal with that? Granted, I think its a good move, and quite openly maintained that Gomes' great season was a complete freak.

Interesting...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #227
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

MirrorDarren Darren Lewis
Harry: "Diarra deal is not dead. That's not true."
44 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

He also said post match that Levy is finishing up a few more players hopefully soon, none of which is Joe Cole
Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #228
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #229
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

if Barton does end up going to QPR as well the o/u on the amount of days it takes him to assault Adel Taarabt is about 4
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Sir Alex.

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson has complained the Football Association treat Manchester United "like s***'' as he prepares to send a sizeable portion of his squad away on international duty.

Asked about his England contingent, Ferguson said: "It is fantastic. The FA may realise who has produced more players for their country than any club in the world.

...he has highlighted his unhappiness with the FA, which covers a range of issues in recent times, including a touchline bans he served last season plus a controversial two-match suspension imposed on England striker Wayne Rooney that ruled him out of last season's FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester City.

"Maybe they will get some joy from it and realise how important we are to England instead of treating us like s***. I am pleased for the players. They are outstanding.''
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...e-s***?cc=5901

Yeah. Thing is, you earned those suspensions. Its not like they just suspended you for nothing, Fergie just feels that he and his players should be allowed to act like petulant children with no restrictions.

Quote:
West Ham United have confirmed they are in talks with Tottenham Hotspur over midfielder Scott Parker.

Spurs, however, have now opened discussions with the Hammers over a possible deal for the England international ahead of next Wednesday's transfer deadline, with manager Harry Redknapp a known admirer of the player's qualities.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...parker?cc=5901

They're going to have to have someone to replace Modric next season....

Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #231
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing he says isn't true. Everyone who knows what they are talking about knows the FA is a bunch of wankers with an agenda against SAF. Despite that he still does nothing but win (or is that because he spends the most money every year?)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #232
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Nothing he says isn't true. Everyone who knows what they are talking about knows the FA is a bunch of wankers with an agenda against SAF. Despite that he still does nothing but win (or is that because he spends the most money every year?)
I'll grant that the FA is a bunch of wankers although I sincerely doubt they have an 'agenda' against Fergie. They have rules of conduct, and he broke them.

Crying about it makes him look like a baby throwing a tantrum.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #233
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Owen Coyle says

Quote:
On Friday, in response to Arsenal's bid for England international Cahill, Bolton manager Coyle said: "When I make an offer for a player, I'd like to think it's in the right ball park.

"But this wasn't even close. I'm only passing it on as a third party, but the word derisory doesn't even cover it."
BBC/Guardian etc. are saying he offered 6m plus add ons

that's embarrassing to the team, the player, and Arsene for making such a low bid
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #234
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Joey Barton has signed with QPR, and Luke Young is moving to them on loan as well

reports saying that Parker won't be in the West Ham squad this weekend, spurs/wham are just finalizing which players spurs will send over on loan

I like Parker, gives them good depth and another option at CM behind Modric/Hudd/Sandro
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #235
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'll grant that the FA is a bunch of wankers although I sincerely doubt they have an 'agenda' against Fergie. They have rules of conduct, and he broke them.

Crying about it makes him look like a baby throwing a tantrum.
Perhaps I am overestimating him but I believe that there is a well thought out reason behind every one of these rants for the benefit of United and its' players. SAF does not give a #### about anything or anybody outside of the club and will take a hit in the press or whatever if it gives him any advantage (real or perceived).

Besides, it makes for fun reading
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Owen Coyle says

BBC/Guardian etc. are saying he offered 6m plus add ons

that's embarrassing to the team, the player, and Arsene for making such a low bid
That is embarassing for everyone. I figure Liverpool are out of the hunt for either Cahill or Dann because of the impending signing of Sebastian Coates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
Perhaps I am overestimating him but I believe that there is a well thought out reason behind every one of these rants for the benefit of United and its' players. SAF does not give a #### about anything or anybody outside of the club and will take a hit in the press or whatever if it gives him any advantage (real or perceived).

Besides, it makes for fun reading
And I agree with you 100%, but that being said, it also means that hes saying these things for his own reasons, he knows hes breaking the FA's rules, so he cant turn around and then proclaim that they're treating him like s**t!

Theres no agenda, and Fergie isn't hard done by, the FA is just enforcing the punishments for the rules he breaks. Its pretty clear cut. Despite the fact that the FA are 'wankers.'

Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #237
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And I agree with you 100%, but that being said, it also means that hes saying these things for his own reasons, he knows hes breaking the FA's rules, so he cant turn around and then proclaim that they're treating him like s**t!

Theres no agenda, and Fergie isn't hard done by, the FA is just enforcing the punishments for the rules he breaks. Its pretty clear cut. Despite the fact that the FA are 'wankers.'
The point is that he doesn't really believe they're treating him like s**t, it's just another case of attempting to work for some sort of advantage. The effectiveness of the tactic is another story, but it's pretty hard to argue with the tactical choices of the winningest manager around.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #238
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson has complained the Football Association treat Manchester United "like s***'' as he prepares to send a sizeable portion of his squad away on international duty.

Asked about his England contingent, Ferguson said: "It is fantastic. The FA may realise who has produced more players for their country than any club in the world."
Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Nothing he says isn't true.
I figure this should be pointed out.

Rio Ferdinand - Bought from West Ham - Not Developed by United
Wayne Rooney - Bought from Everton - Not Developed by United
Ashley young - Bought from Aston Villa - Not Developed by United
Michael Carrick - Bought from Spurs - Not Developed by United

Tom Cleverly U21 - Developed by Manchester United, not called up for the upcoming fixture.
Chris Smalling - Bought from Fulham - Not Developed by United, not called up for the upcoming fixture.
Phil Jones U21 - Bought from Blackburn Rovers - Not Developed by United
Danny Welbeck - Developed by Manchester United

So, tell us again Fergie, who has produced more English players than any other club in the country?

But, everything Fergie says is true right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #239
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I figure this should be pointed out.

Rio Ferdinand - Bought from West Ham - Not Developed by United
Wayne Rooney - Bought from Everton - Not Developed by United
Ashley young - Bought from Aston Villa - Not Developed by United
Michael Carrick - Bought from Spurs - Not Developed by United

Tom Cleverly U21 - Developed by Manchester United, not called up for the upcoming fixture.
Chris Smalling - Bought from Fulham - Not Developed by United, not called up for the upcoming fixture.
Phil Jones U21 - Bought from Blackburn Rovers - Not Developed by United
Danny Welbeck - Developed by Manchester United

So, tell us again Fergie, who has produced more English players than any other club in the country?

But, everything Fergie says is true right?
Well the landscape has changed quite a bit in the last few years with the way money is thrown around, it doesn't seem like many of the top clubs develop a lot of homegrown talent that goes on to the international stage anymore. The previous generation had a lot more homegrown talent at the top clubs, and during that era United produced what? Half of the England side? There's certainly some bluster in the statement, I mean it is Fergie, but it's not completely out of touch either.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #240
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carrick was West Ham as well really, their youth set up in the early 00's was very strong

Lampard, Joe Cole, Rio, Carrick, Defoe all spent their developmental years there
Closed Thread