Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Russian Troops are within 20 km's of Kiev, The Ukrainian government is offering guns and arms to citizens to defend the city.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #222
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

All the baltic states like Latvia and Estonia are seeing their futures play out as Russian has demonstrated their willingness to mobilize to recreate the Eastern Bloc under Putin's thumb.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #223
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So if Russia takes controls of NPPs and shuts of the taps to any nations that aid Ukraine, Ukraine has no choice but to surrender, yeah? Modern life without electricity is not feasible.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #224
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
No, there is no military option that would win this for Ukraine and the West. But there is a great deal of leverage that will not be used. Shutting Russia out of SWIFT would hurt them immediately, but would also hurt many interests in the West. Seizing assets and funds will not happen on a large scale for the same reasons.

The West could win, but they won't because there is no stomach for it and it would hurt too many pocketbooks.
As per Boris Johnson's speech just now, it doesn't sound like removal from SWIFT is happening. He spoke of it as an option, not an inevitability.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #225
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
All the baltic states like Latvia and Estonia are seeing their futures play out as Russian has demonstrated their willingness to mobilize to recreate the Eastern Bloc under Putin's thumb.
Kaliningrad may want to unify back with Poland

Last edited by I am Beast; 02-24-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: smaller font
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #226
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It occurs to me - and I'm sure I'm just late to think about this - that there is another angle to this involving China and Taiwan. Is this not just a test case for a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, in terms of what the likely repercussions are and the global appetite for responding to an incursion of this type? I know, the two situations are not analogous, but it still seems like if you take real, significant, painful steps against Putin, you're also putting Xi on notice that this sort of thing will not result in appeasement or halfhearted slaps on the wrist.

I don't know, maybe I'm completely out to lunch about that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #227
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stoltenberg reiterates that Nato not currently considering troops in Ukraine proper.

I am wondering if we see them move to protect Lviv when tanks are within Kiev, could lead to a split Ukraine a la Korea or Vietnam.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #228
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

China and Taiwan was in the back of my mind too, Corsi.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #229
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russians themselves are going to have to play a big part inside their own country to change the course of these events. It will be difficult and dangerous to do so, but it has to happen at some point. They have more power than they think they do, especially in numbers.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #230
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
When is the last time there's been a clean decisive victory since WWII? Korea ended in a stalemate.

This war isn't likely going to be a short war for Russia either. Even if they decapitate government in Kyiv and manage to round up most of the current leadership there will be a long and drawn out insurgency/government in exile that will bleed Russia for a very long time.
There's a really dystopian future possible here: while some Ukrainians might keep fighting, after "peace talks" and Russian bribes to the right members of the GOP, we in the West might brand any remaining Ukrainian resistance terrorists and go on with our lives.

Putin is betting that in the end, most Ukrainians will accept the same fate as his own population - security and stability for their freedoms. Those who refuse to accept this trade will be terrorists.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #231
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The people filming Russian forces and posting to social very brave.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #232
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
Kaliningrad may want to unify back with Poland
You mean Germany?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #233
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It occurs to me - and I'm sure I'm just late to think about this - that there is another angle to this involving China and Taiwan. Is this not just a test case for a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, in terms of what the likely repercussions are and the global appetite for responding to an incursion of this type? I know, the two situations are not analogous, but it still seems like if you take real, significant, painful steps against Putin, you're also putting Xi on notice that this sort of thing will not result in appeasement or halfhearted slaps on the wrist.

Not out to lunch at all. Anyone with a mind in global geopolitics is worried that China is the real pusher behind this. Their economy is massively in the ####ter too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #234
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

not out to lunch here, China will need to pick a side first. Im guessing they are watching the response from the west. Watch for a Russia backed attack into Israel to start the distraction.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #235
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

144 million people vs a small collection of power hungry deplorables.

Get it done Russia.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #236
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
When is the last time there's been a clean decisive victory since WWII?.
Crimea?
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I think Biden has already said he's not interested in seeing American Troops in a Ukrainian war. He's kind of left this in the hands of the European NATO allies, though America will ship weapons and supplies and apply sanctions.

The land war will likely be over by the time the UN and NATO stop talking and the Russians will be completely dug in. I doubt that Ukraine can expect to see much in the way of actual help.

I'm pretty sure that China is looking at this with a lot of interest. I still doubt that they'd outright invade Taiwan. If they do go after Taiwan, they'll simply flatten it and demand their surrender. And the American Navy fighting under the shadow of China isn't a great prospect for the US.

I still think that China is more interested in resources then they are the conquest of Taiwan.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #238
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, that’s exactly how this looks. And Russia’s control over western necessities pales compared to China. Once the blood is spilt and Russia is in control in Ukraine, China will talk about diplomatic resolutions underhandedly and recognize the invaders as legitimate. They will talk, like they did last night, about opposing violence and respecting the rule of law. They’ll just leave out the rule of their law. If Russia is allowed to take Ukraine, it’s carte blanche on all ‘disputed’ territory.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #239
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Russians themselves are going to have to play a big part inside their own country to change the course of these events. It will be difficult and dangerous to do so, but it has to happen at some point. They have more power than they think they do, especially in numbers.
Honestly, though, would you do this if you were in their shoes? I mean we're talking about western countries being hesitant to respond even with serious economic penalties like SWIFT and asset seizure, and we're going to suggest that the ordinary Russian citizen put their lives and wellbeing on the line to oppose their own government? I don't know what my mindset would be as a Russian citizen but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought, "look, no one else in the world cares enough to even take a hit in the pocketbook, I'm not going out and getting the crap beat out of me and being thrown in jail indefinitely." The people who are willing to take those risks are, frankly, heroes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #240
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You mean Germany?
Pretty sure Kalingrad between Poland and Lithuania, unless we going old school to WWII

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks