Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2024, 02:32 PM   #221
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Priced out flights to Victoria and Orlando (with a few days in between in New York where I can visit family) and it is coming out to be around $550-600 which is pretty solid.

Now to see if I do go ahead with the plan though. Any idea how many cavalry FC fans will end up going? Ill just be a solo traveler.
I can connect you with people who are going to Orlando for sure.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 03:05 PM   #222
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of this whole stadium fiasco - I still say the Concacaf Champions Cup berth 10/10 times is the best/ultimate prize in the league, moreso than winning the playoffs and the microwave plate... and it's not even close.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:46 PM   #223
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I can connect you with people who are going to Orlando for sure.
Oh that would be great! Especially picking up the game tickets close by. Still figuring out if I can do this, but will be pretty cool if there is some Calgary presence.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:56 PM   #224
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading to Victoria to watch the game in February.

Was a little take back seeing what they were charging for one night in the middle of the week in February. $754 a person on double occupancy?

We managed to book return airfare, two nights (Tuesday-Thursday) staying at Fairmont Empress AND got a rental car for $1060 ($530 a person). Unless they are charging $124 a ticket to see the game, we are coming out ahead.

Missed opportunity for the club to do the right thing and not make the “travel package” a cash grab. They definitely have the ability to purchase those rooms at the Holiday inn for less than what we can and the price was still $754

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2024, 12:25 AM   #225
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the club itself gets a cash grab from this, though I assume they have some connection with whatever travel agent is used, and easily that travel agent is making $100 a booking.

Ever since they put the internet on computers, booking your own flight, and certianly car and hotel, are much cheaper and more flexible than any travel agent's cost.

That said, something could be done for season ticket holders, however, what's the sweet spot for pricing? How many of you guys would go if it was club subsidized and cost was $400, not $754?

Would they get (and is it worth) an extra 40 people in the stands at that price at a club cost of ($350 subsidy x 40)$14000?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:11 AM   #226
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Fisk going to Vancouver?
They posted a teaser pic with the face hidden by a ball but it sure looks like him
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #227
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the teaser is Fisk yes. Was hoping he'd stick around another year, but he wasn't used a lot last year so I can understand why he'd want to go home to get more minutes.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:57 PM   #228
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The worst part of the team Victoria travel package is the hotel is by the stadium. Who the hell wants to stay in Langford!?

As for Ben Fisk, too bad, he was still effective coming in late, but you can see why given his current role he'd rather head home. He was the best damn group sales rep this club has ever seen.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2024, 05:00 PM   #229
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I’ll miss chatting with Ben about season ticket things! Those are some big shoes to fill! And really Ben….you said “I look forward to seeing you in the spring!” and what does that really mean now?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2024, 05:22 PM   #230
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Fisk to Vancouver FC is confirmed. 2 year deal including a club option for 2026. That's a good move for him. He certainly moved down our depth chart last year but I still think he's a useful player for a club like Vancouver.
https://northerntribune.ca/vancouver...isk-sign-2024/
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:43 PM   #231
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bummer to see Fisk go, but he was a depth option at this point and I'm sure he wants more minutes, which Vancouver can provide. A 3 year deal for a 30 year old at this level is too good to pass up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2024, 07:19 PM   #232
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm really split on if I should head to Victoria. Wife works for WestJet so I can fly for cheap, but I just can't decide if I really want to support the club on this trip after how they've handled every part of this tournament.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:30 PM   #233
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Fisk, liked what he brought to us as a depth piece and mentor. Lots of experience out the door with he and Fisk moving on. But that deal is too good for Fisk to pass up. Camargo will really be that experienced head in the attacking group now

I like what Vancouver has done with their roster. I think they were the second best team in the league after cavalry from August to the end of the season and adding Fisk gives them some much needed depth. Will they be a playoff team? Who knows, but they’ve got a decent core
Old 01-11-2024, 08:50 AM   #234
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve booked flights for both legs of the trip. I’ll go and spend a few days in New York visiting family in the middle as well (and maybe catch a Devils or Flyers game)
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 11:14 AM   #235
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

YES!!! Scored one of the greatest goals in CPL history with Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747318480851111987
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 11:30 AM   #236
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if I like the signing or not. On paper good depth in attack. Never really rated him though.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #237
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

He's big in front of the net. I love this signing, especially if it's depth.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:04 PM   #238
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy with this! Every highlight I saw of FC Edmonton, it was usually this dude that was the lone bright spot on that team doing awesome stuff on the field.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 01:37 PM   #239
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a big fan of this signing! I wanted us to sign him a couple years ago.

Seems lanky and uncoordinated but lethal and good on set pieces if I recall as well. He carried that Edmonton attack

Having a guy who just has that ability to put the ballin the net out of nowhere seems a good idea. Gives us great depth behind Bevan or allows them to play off each other too
Old 01-16-2024, 05:49 PM   #240
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Warschewski didn't play anywhere in 2023 is concerning IMO. There were no injury issues, he just didn't sign anywhere. If he recaptures his 2022 form I think it will be a great signing as he can give good depth up front behind Bevan or in attacking mid behind Camargo. If he doesn't, he's only guaranteed for 2024.

I think the attack and midfield looks pretty set. Lots of flexibility in attack with Warschewski, Akio, Musse and Brooks all able to play in multiple positions.

Think there are 18 players signed officially? An under 21 Canadian, one more fullback and a backup GK and I think this team is in real good shape. And also a Klomp replacement should he be on the way out.

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer