Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #2361
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Trade 1 with Detroit...

Wings get: Andersson
Flames get: 14th overall, Wallinder

Trade 2 with NJ...

NJ gets: Markstrom w/retention, 14th OA
Flames get: 10 OA, '25 first round w/protection

Flames draft Iginla and Yakemchuk and add another 20 something d man to the who knows pile.
Id be good with a lesser prospect than Wallinder if we’re getting 14th
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:59 AM   #2362
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Id be good with a lesser prospect than Wallinder if we’re getting 14th
Me too, but he's ranked somewhere between 8-10 in their system. Wouldn't go too much below that and he's the one name I knew in that range. His stock is obviously falling a bit.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #2363
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unpopular opinion, but I would trade Huberdeau for Dubois.

I don't like Dubois, but he is only just about to turn 26 and probably has better rebound potential. It also saves $2 million in cap space per year over the same length of time. The contract also isn't as buyout proof if it came to that after a few seasons.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #2364
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Why would the kings do that trade tho
konradical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:16 PM   #2365
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradical View Post
Why would the kings do that trade tho
For the reason the Flames shouldn't do it. PLD is a negative to a team. Not even just a guy who's struggling to produce like Huberdeau. An actual detriment to morale, on ice team play and mentorship.

Huberdeau, for all his struggles (mostly ion December and in the dying days of the season), works on D, supports the kids on the team a lot and seems to GAF. And players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich seemed to get a boost playing with him.

Last edited by GioforPM; 05-02-2024 at 02:38 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:19 PM   #2366
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
It kind of can be both... and really, it started with the intention to quickly retool where they initially wanted to trade a couple of their free agents who wouldn't sign and resign the rest.

That didn't happen because they had a poor start to the year, so they had to trade all of them, which made for a longer retool. And if they trade Markstrom and Wolf and the other young guys don't take a big step -- and then Andersson and Sherangovich want out -- they're very much forced into a full rebuild even if they intended a quicker retool.
It could end up having to turn into a rebuild but I look at it more as a "smart retool" where Conroy's focus is still playoffs but he's not going to waste assets on older players to do it.

He's not just looking at the present but the future which is why he's doing trades like the Toffoli, Lindholm, and Hanifin trade where he's getting back someone who can play now and prospects/picks who will hopefully be playing in the future.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:25 PM   #2367
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
For the reason the Flames shouldn't do it. PLD is a negative to a team. Not even just a guy who's struggling to produce like Huberdeau. An actual detriment to morale, on ice team play and ad mentorship.

Huberdeau, for all his struggles (mostly ion December and in the dying days of the season), works on D, supports the kids on the team a lot and seems to GAF. And players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich seemed to get a boost playing with him.
Dublois can be bought out for 1/3rd of his contract as he is 25. LA should jump on that this summer. Zero chance they would take on Huberdeau for him.

For that reason only, he's a better bet.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #2368
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Dublois can be bought out for 1/3rd of his contract as he is 25. LA should jump on that this summer. Zero chance they would take on Huberdeau for him.

Yeah, if LA wants out of their mistake they just buy PLD out over taking on Huberdeau's contract.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:32 PM   #2369
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah, if LA wants out of their mistake they just buy PLD out over taking on Huberdeau's contract.
Probably.

Or, as has happened in the past, PLD might suddenly do something that causes a termination event.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:59 PM   #2370
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
For the reason the Flames shouldn't do it. PLD is a negative to a team. Not even just a guy who's struggling to produce like Huberdeau. An actual detriment to morale, on ice team play and ad mentorship.

This, 100%.

I know I'm in the minority here and probably naive too but I think Huby will turn it around and start producing more, obviously I don't expect another 100+pt season, but in the 70-90 range seems achievable.

Yes, I know that still doesn't justify a 10.5 cap hit but with improved numbers, a higher cap, and all of those other qualities mentioned above we can atleast work with that.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 02:04 PM   #2371
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
This, 100%.

I know I'm in the minority here and probably naive too but I think Huby will turn it around and start producing more, obviously I don't expect another 100+pt season, but in the 70-90 range seems achievable.

Yes, I know that still doesn't justify a 10.5 cap hit but with improved numbers, a higher cap, and all of those other qualities mentioned above we can atleast work with that.
70-90 points would make his cap hit tolerable. Probably still not tradeable without a lot of retention or a sweetener, but it would be enough to make him not an anchor for the next 7 years.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is going to be more than a 50 point guy at best going forward, but I hope you're right.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:09 PM   #2372
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
70-90 points would make his cap hit tolerable. Probably still not tradeable without a lot of retention or a sweetener, but it would be enough to make him not an anchor for the next 7 years.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is going to be more than a 50 point guy at best going forward, but I hope you're right.
He would have been pretty close to 70 except he had a miserable December. All his other months were much much better. They tended to coincide with him playing with Sharangovich and/or Kuzmenko.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:28 PM   #2373
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Trade 1 with Detroit...

Wings get: Andersson
Flames get: 14th overall, Wallinder

Trade 2 with NJ...

NJ gets: Markstrom w/retention, 14th OA
Flames get: 10 OA, '25 first round w/protection

Flames draft Iginla and Yakemchuk and add another 20 something d man to the who knows pile.
I like those trades a lot. And I like the prospect selections a lot too. The trades seem pretty fair for all teams. The 2025 first round pick from Jersey can include protections like making the playoffs. If they don’t make it, it becomes a 2nd round pick.

Tough trades to get done though. Once you are at the draft, teams love to wait to see who is available at their pick before deciding if they want to pull the trigger on trading a pick away or dropping back in the draft. Can’t make the trade with Jersey before making the trade with Detroit so Conroy would have to convince Detroit to give up their pick before the draft or when Jersey is about to pick.

Last edited by stemit14; 05-02-2024 at 02:35 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 04:58 PM   #2374
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He would have been pretty close to 70 except he had a miserable December. All his other months were much much better. They tended to coincide with him playing with Sharangovich and/or Kuzmenko.
In the first two months of the season, he was on a 53 point pace. Then came the miserable December. He was on a 63 point pace in the last 3.5 months.

If you replace his 1 point December with the same as he did in the first part of the season, he would have ended up with 59 points.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:19 PM   #2375
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I don't like Dubois, but he is only just about to turn 26 and probably has better rebound potential. It also saves $2 million in cap space per year over the same length of time. The contract also isn't as buyout proof if it came to that after a few seasons.
We’re not anywhere close to being in a cap problem on the high end… so that reasoning makes absolutely no sense for the Flames.

You gotta have a pretty negative outlook to have them both down as buy out candidates. I doubt that happens.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #2376
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

His attitude is the problem. Wouldn't want Dubois anywhere near the young guys.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:00 PM   #2377
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I believe I heard on the radio today that this is not true due to when he turns 26 this year. Someone correct me if Iam wrong.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Your Calgary Flames! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 06:14 PM   #2378
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the first two months of the season, he was on a 53 point pace. Then came the miserable December. He was on a 63 point pace in the last 3.5 months.

If you replace his 1 point December with the same as he did in the first part of the season, he would have ended up with 59 points.
Which is better. And what if you if you replace it with what he did in Jan - March? Mid 60s I think. Obviously he didn’t do it. But while he produced about the same as the year before, I think he looked a whole lot better. I think if he plays on a line with Sharangovich and Kuzmenko for a season he’s at 70.

But it doesn’t really matter at this point anyway. They are rebuilding, why worry about his contract right now? Especially to get an apparent locker room issue.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:18 PM   #2379
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Calgary Flames! View Post
I believe I heard on the radio today that this is not true due to when he turns 26 this year. Someone correct me if Iam wrong.
I’m not sure if it is tied to exact age or when he signed the contract but they will have till June to buy him out if it is actual age.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:33 PM   #2380
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't just erase the bad months. Disappearing for long stretches isn't something to just write-off. It's all part of the finished product at the end of the season. With 2 seasons now with in the 50-55 point range, there is no reason to think it gets better now.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good