Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #2241
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Would it be cheaper to buy a cheap desktop and upgrade the CPU and Video card?
Usually, no. It's better to build from the ground up. Other than RAM not a lot of components are recyclable.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #2242
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

well because that list doesn't have an OS on it... That's another $100 if not more gone
Old 02-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #2243
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
well because that list doesn't have an OS on it... That's another $100 if not more gone
A 'cheap desktop' will often have 'cheap' complementary components that won't work well with a gaming grade video card, particularly the power supply unit... and aftermarket PSUs don't often fit OEM cases well. Some of the cases are also laid out in such a way that a gaming card won't even fit due to card length, or number of slots available. And because their boards are custom made, a lot of OEM motherboards are limited in the number of processors they'll support to prevent you from doing exactly this, so you might be out of luck there as well.

Best of all, you have absolutely no way of finding any of this out until you get all the parts home, put it together, and get nothing for your efforts.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #2244
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to platform comparisons. Gametrailers has released the comparison for the different platform variants of MGSV

Those that want to original source files for this and want to compare between them without youtubes video compression can go here:
http://trailers-ak.gametrailers.com/...son_10kbps.mp4
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #2245
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I gotta say I find the entire next gen launch very underwhelming and I'm suprised the consoles are selling as well as they are right now. I keep looking for a reason to jump into a new console and I keep finding reasons to wait, and maybe wait for quite a while.

Its an outright embarrassment that neither machine is as good an all around media device as the PS3. Basic media functionality, 3D blu ray playback and things like that should've been ready to go from the start. Sony and MS want me to buy a new console but neither is as good as an 8 year old console that I already own. And MS has somehow positioned their machine as a powerful all in one media console -- but not as good as the PS3? Where's the value for the consumer here?

Secondly, almost every big name title coming this year is still set to come out for the previous generation consoles. How "next gen" can these games be if they are all still being put out on existing consoles? Sure they'll have better graphics, but I'm not sure I see the value in buying a whole new system for a visually enhanced game. I want new experiences that are incapable of being played on what I already own.

I guess my question to MS and Sony would be, why should I buy your new systems when my PS3 is better in every regard -- quality game library, full slate of media capabilities. At least with previous generation launches there were usually clear cut advantages to adopting the new technology (like SD to HD last gen). I get the itch to buy new technology, but as a consumer I need to see the value in it.
This pretty much nails it on the head for me as well. I have an Xb360 and would like to get an XB1 but at the moment my 360 seems to be the better machine (never been into playstation and i'm a creature of habit:-)) All right it doesn't have the Blu ray drive but i don't buy movies I tend to download them or stream them, which the XB1 cannot do at the moment, big step back for me. I also don't need to run my satellite TV through the XB1, why have two machines running, costing me more electricity, when I only need one??
As you said the problem with MS this time around is that they are telling people what they want rather than giving them what they want, big mistake in business.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #2246
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its an outright embarrassment that neither machine is as good an all around media device as the PS3. Basic media functionality, 3D blu ray playback and things like that should've been ready to go from the start. Sony and MS want me to buy a new console but neither is as good as an 8 year old console that I already own. And MS has somehow positioned their machine as a powerful all in one media console -- but not as good as the PS3? Where's the value for the consumer here?

Secondly, almost every big name title coming this year is still set to come out for the previous generation consoles. How "next gen" can these games be if they are all still being put out on existing consoles? Sure they'll have better graphics, but I'm not sure I see the value in buying a whole new system for a visually enhanced game. I want new experiences that are incapable of being played on what I already own.
Well in their defense, launching a new console is a very complicated process. The functionality that you see now on the previous gen consoles are a product of 6+ years of development. Neither 360 or PS3 launched with DLNA support baked in either and it took PS3 almost a year to get that baked in. By most accounts XB1 planned with loads more media features but was rushed out with limited language and half baked dev kits in order to compete with the surprise early PS4 launch. PS4 while having better developed dev kits sacrificed media support to meet the aggressive release cycle.

People said the same thing about "how next gen can it be" during the PS2 to PS3 launch with the game libraries. It's really a matter of addressable markets right now. Most devs will not want to create a new experience taking advantage of the new hardware, sacrificing the past gen market, until the new gen has a big enough addressable market size to make it profitable. So for now you'll continue getting multi gen multi plat games until there are enough consoles out there. There was a period of almost 2 years when triple A titles were being put out on the previous platform last gen as well. Though mind you the display tech isn't changing this time. PS2/XBox to PS3/X360 was a much bigger jump because of the whole HD/SD gap.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #2247
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
As you said the problem with MS this time around is that they are telling people what they want rather than giving them what they want, big mistake in business.
I agree with everything in your post until this, which I have seen mentioned a couple of times in this thread. What, exactly, are they telling people to do? If you don't want to run your cable through it, then don't plug it in. it's not like it doesn't work without it. Same with the voice crap. Don't use it if you don't like it.

How is giving people more options "telling people what they want"?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #2248
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I agree with everything in your post until this, which I have seen mentioned a couple of times in this thread. What, exactly, are they telling people to do? If you don't want to run your cable through it, then don't plug it in. it's not like it doesn't work without it. Same with the voice crap. Don't use it if you don't like it.

How is giving people more options "telling people what they want"?
I think it's the always online DRM/game sharing policy, mandatory inclusion of Kinect and media features that he's referring to. No one wanted to the always online requirement on games they own (but this is forced on them by MSFT and quickly retracted after huge backlash) and many gamers didn't want the media features or Kinect but were forced to buy into them at a higher price point.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #2249
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I think it's the always online DRM/game sharing policy, mandatory inclusion of Kinect and media features that he's referring to. No one wanted to the always online requirement on games they own (but this is forced on them by MSFT and quickly retracted after huge backlash) and many gamers didn't want the media features or Kinect but were forced to buy into them at a higher price point.
exactly what he was referring to and the ONLY reason microsoft retracted because PS4 wasn't restrictive and they would have been blown out of the water at launch (even more so)

Microsoft was basically booed off the stage at E3 when people found out about the price and their planned restrictions
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #2250
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, they changed their stance on that issue, effectively giving people what they want instead of telling them. No?

Kinect is a valid example though. I would suggest that there is a fine line between telling the public what they want and trying to increase sales by providing more value for the dollar over the PS4. Kinect is worth $300 more than PS4 because it has this media stuff and kinect...but only costs $100 more. So far, it isn't working, obviously. Actually having those extra features actually work, for example, would help.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #2251
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

XB1 is worth $300 more than the PS4? Judging by the sales numbers I'll have to disagree with you.

I bet if they were the exact same price more people would take a chance on the XB1.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #2252
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Well in their defense, launching a new console is a very complicated process. The functionality that you see now on the previous gen consoles are a product of 6+ years of development. Neither 360 or PS3 launched with DLNA support baked in either and it took PS3 almost a year to get that baked in. By most accounts XB1 planned with loads more media features but was rushed out with limited language and half baked dev kits in order to compete with the surprise early PS4 launch. PS4 while having better developed dev kits sacrificed media support to meet the aggressive release cycle.

People said the same thing about "how next gen can it be" during the PS2 to PS3 launch with the game libraries. It's really a matter of addressable markets right now. Most devs will not want to create a new experience taking advantage of the new hardware, sacrificing the past gen market, until the new gen has a big enough addressable market size to make it profitable. So for now you'll continue getting multi gen multi plat games until there are enough consoles out there. There was a period of almost 2 years when triple A titles were being put out on the previous platform last gen as well. Though mind you the display tech isn't changing this time. PS2/XBox to PS3/X360 was a much bigger jump because of the whole HD/SD gap.
Fair enough but if they spent the entire last generation getting those features into place, it shouldn't take another generation getting the same features into place again. I understand games take a while to really hit their stride...but mp3 playing? Video streaming? 3D Blu ray playback? Those are not new territory, they are a fundamantal feature set should be there from the outset. Consumers shouldn't feel like they're taking a step backwards by being an early adopter.

If the Iphone 6 launched and did less than the Iphone 5, people would laugh them off the stage at their reveal event. I think people that are paying hundreds of dollars to get a new system should expect a bit more from the product.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #2253
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
XB1 is worth $300 more than the PS4? Judging by the sales numbers I'll have to disagree with you.

I bet if they were the exact same price more people would take a chance on the XB1.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say....

I was speculating that Microsoft's reason for adding all of the extra features that Sony doesn't have was 2 fold: To justify the extra cost and to show more value for the money spent. The $300 figure was just as an example.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #2254
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the Iphone 6 launched and did less than the Iphone 5, people would laugh them off the stage at their reveal event. I think people that are paying hundreds of dollars to get a new system should expect a bit more from the product.

Yeah right, the fanboys will line up to buy the next new iPhone
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #2255
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
I gotta say I find the entire next gen launch very underwhelming and I'm suprised the consoles are selling as well as they are right now. I keep looking for a reason to jump into a new console and I keep finding reasons to wait, and maybe wait for quite a while.

I guess my question to MS and Sony would be, why should I buy your new systems when my PS3 is better in every regard -- quality game library, full slate of media capabilities. At least with previous generation launches there were usually clear cut advantages to adopting the new technology (like SD to HD last gen). I get the itch to buy new technology, but as a consumer I need to see the value in it.
There isn't a real reason to buy it your pretty much saying that you have the money to spend on something that is pretty much a half developed console that really wont be fully utilized till about two years in.My question is who Is dumb enough to pay double the amount of money for a game IE Tomb Raider that really only had graphics upgraded that's it.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #2256
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149.../1100-6417813/

$150 graphics card runs titanfall better than xboxone
Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #2257
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149.../1100-6417813/

$150 graphics card runs titanfall better than xboxone
What a stupid article
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #2258
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
What a stupid article
why, its an incredible value for the price
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #2259
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
why, its an incredible value for the price
yes it is but you still need many more things to run the game.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #2260
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
yes it is but you still need many more things to run the game.
you could do it for under $500 easily, likely under 400 if you really shopped around

just interesting, the requirements for the game are actually quite low you could likely get good performance on an old system with this card.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-23-2014 at 07:46 AM.